You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

fashionable button play

edited October 2010 in The Poker Clinic
basically i seem to notice that no1 seems to 3bet 99 thru JJ on the button.. i mean it happens so much, y is it done? can any successful mid stakes players that do this shed any light?

Comments

• edited October 2010
    hi

Not sure if you are asking why people do it or don't do it, as your post seemed a little confilcited as to if you are seeing people 3bet 99-JJ from the button,

If the question is why they would do it then why wouldn't they is a more important question? You have the weight of postion over the 1st person raising the pot and so are adding more weight to your hand in their mind over just calling their raise. Not saying a call is a bad choice, as mixing your play is important to, but certainly its a tool for your poker tool bag. :)

This can also help you avoid getting into trouble with people that are on really stong starting hands. If you get played back at then you might have to seriously concider how stong your hand is then, Sure they could be 4betting light, but this isn't a situation every pot, though can happen if they feel your button raise is just a ploy for postion and the betting lead,

Dunno if that is the kind of answer you are looking for or not, as wasn't 100% sure if that was the question you were asking.
  • edited October 2010
    it depends alot on the position of the first raise and what type of a player they are.

if its maniac fish then obv you should 3bet a very wide value range like 99+ KJ+.

if you are vs a reg i dont think 3betting 99-TT is that great(Especially vs UTG open) unless you know they will be 4bet bluffing you alot.

generally people will 3bet AQ+ JJ+ otb vs a late position opener for value and then they will also have alot of bluffs in their range.
    the reason is because playing oop in large pot really really really sucks and the 3bettor makes so much money by 3betting and cbetting dry flops. it also as a result *should* cause the original raiser to open with a tigher range in the Cutoff or MP. which allows you on the button to have alot more unopened pots when the action gets to you which equals more monies
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: fashionable button play:
    it depends alot on the position of the first raise and what type of a player they are. if its maniac fish then obv you should 3bet a very wide value range like 99+ KJ+. if you are vs a reg i dont think 3betting 99-TT is that great(Especially vs UTG open) unless you know they will be 4bet bluffing you alot. generally people will 3bet AQ+ JJ+ otb vs a late position opener for value and then they will also have alot of bluffs in their range. the reason is because playing oop in large pot really really really sucks and the 3bettor makes so much money by 3betting and cbetting dry flops. it also as a result *should* cause the original raiser to open with a tigher range in the Cutoff or MP. which allows you on the button to have alot more unopened pots when the action gets to you which equals more monies
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    Thanks m8 that is well thought out answer..

so basically its profitable is to be 3 betting a depolarized range in 6max against opponents who rarely 4bet, &
    3bet a polarized against opponents that are more likely to either 4bet or fold.
  • edited October 2010
    yeah if they call alot of 3bets then you want depolarised value hands w/ basically 0 bluffs.

if they fold too much anything will do but i would probably flat monsters to induce the blinds to squeeze or just play IP postflop with deceptive hand.