You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Importance of board texture

edited October 2010 in The Poker Clinic

HI

I had this hand earlier today, and thought it would make for a good example of board texture and its importance. Was an easy fold for me, and should have been for one of the other players to be honest. Still see for yourself and judge. Seen a few make mistakes like this, so thought it would make for a good example to others maybe and its not meant as a brag post or a slagging off of any players in the below example, as we have all made bad calls. :)

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
handsumjon Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £24.90
Brewmaker9 Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £8.05
  Your hole cards
  • A
  • A

wenelinho Fold     
chase Fold     
KAM99 Raise  £0.30 £0.45 £12.78
Tenniskids Call  £0.30 £0.75 £20.35
handsumjon Call  £0.25 £1.00 £24.65
Brewmaker9 Call  £0.20 £1.20 £7.85
Flop

• K
  • J

handsumjon Bet  £2.30 £3.50 £22.35
Brewmaker9 All-in  £7.85 £11.35 £0.00
KAM99 Fold     
Tenniskids Fold     
handsumjon Call  £5.55 £16.90 £16.80
handsumjon Show
  • K

Brewmaker9 Show

Turn

River

• J

Brewmaker9 Win Full House, 10s and Jacks £15.64  £15.64

Comments

• edited October 2010
    Good fold ! :) Standard stack off by the king 7 on the lower limits here though.
  • edited October 2010

This hand should be used as an example to beginners who cant fold AA and think its invincible.

Nice fold, well played. It was easier with 2 other players getting involved. I guess you stack off with one player though.  I know i would at 10nl.

• edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: Importance of board texture:
    This hand should be used as an example to beginners who cant fold AA and think its invincible. Nice fold, well played. It was easier with 2 other players getting involved. I guess you stack off with one player though.  I know i would at 10nl.
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    Yes i am sure it might have been a tougher fold if just me and the guy with the 1010 going to the flop, Still I groaned when I saw the flop as it don't come much more ugly for AA than that. Might have got off it depending how the action went. If he had check/shoved me on flop think I'd have laid it down, but certainly wouldn't have been an easy choice as much. Certainly would have cost me more I would think, and more likely might have been making the choice at turn or maybe even river if he played them more cutely. Not sure he would have though, as I doubt he was loving that flop with his set either.
  • edited October 2010
    Nice, Im deffo stacking off vs 1 player, could possibly lay it down myself looking at the action.  Not that it makes much difference here but I make it at least 4xbb pre
  • edited October 2010
    Nice, Im deffo stacking off vs 1 player, could possibly lay it down myself looking at the action.  Not that it makes much difference here but I make it at least 4xbb pre
    Posted by OMahonyO
    Did think about making it 4x, but table standard had been running at 3x, and even if I had made it 4x it wouldn't have changed the action really. Guy on button had been calling with wide range, and 1010 would have for sure called. SB might not have, but hard to say not knowing his hand.

Maybe possible to get off AA on this board, even only against one person. Would depend on how the action went and what reads you had on the person. IE if against the button guy I put my stack in no question, but I'd have given more thought and care over the other player.

I think advice I got a couple of years ago off a $150,000 a year cash playero when I was just starting on FT still sticks in my mind. At low stakes where the players don't have as many moves in them generally you should give respect to any C/R you get or any reraise at the turn. Generallly if this happens top pair is not good enough. Not always the case of course, and some of that will be on how much you know of the players, but in my experience since I got that advice it is largely accurate. Higher stakes not so much, where they have more moves. So with that in mind and depending on the player I could have got off this maybe even against one player. Depends how stubborn I was feeling I guess, but for me cash game is often about not throwing money way stupidly in big pots where you aren't sure you are ahead, and this is such a dangerous board of possible 2 pair or straights it is certainly one where you can just think "there are better spots".
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: Importance of board texture : Did think about making it 4x, but table standard had been running at 3x, and even if I had made it 4x it wouldn't have changed the action really. Guy on button had been calling with wide range, and 1010 would have for sure called. SB might not have, but hard to say not knowing his hand. Maybe possible to get off AA on this board, even only against one person. Would depend on how the action went and what reads you had on the person. IE if against the button guy I put my stack in no question, but I'd have given more thought and care over the other player. I think advice I got a couple of years ago off a $150,000 a year cash playero when I was just starting on FT still sticks in my mind. At low stakes where the players don't have as many moves in them generally you should give respect to any C/R you get or any reraise at the turn. Generallly if this happens top pair is not good enough. Not always the case of course, and some of that will be on how much you know of the players, but in my experience since I got that advice it is largely accurate. Higher stakes not so much, where they have more moves. So with that in mind and depending on the player I could have got off this maybe even against one player. Depends how stubborn I was feeling I guess, but for me cash game is often about not throwing money way stupidly in big pots where you aren't sure you are ahead, and this is such a dangerous board of possible 2 pair or straights it is certainly one where you can just think "there are better spots".
    Posted by KAM99
    tosca21 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £4.64
    eland8 Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £1.56
      Your hole cards
    • A

latham02 Fold     
    Patching99 Raise  £0.20 £0.26 £5.80
    NEFERTITI Call  £0.20 £0.46 £5.10
    TeslAA Fold     
    tosca21 Fold     
    eland8 Fold     
    Flop

Patching99 Bet  £0.36 £0.82 £5.44
    NEFERTITI Raise  £0.95 £1.77 £4.15
    Patching99 Call  £0.59 £2.36 £4.85
    Turn

Patching99 Check     
    NEFERTITI Bet  £1.18 £3.54 £2.97
    Patching99 Fold
    Is this the sort of thing you are on about here, hadnt played a hand against oppo yet, unsure if they had overpair/set or if they saw the turn check as weakness. 
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: Importance of board texture 
    Is this the sort of thing you are on about here, hadnt played a hand against oppo yet, unsure if they had overpair/set or if they saw the turn check as weakness. 
    Posted by Patching99
    Yeah sort of. Though I was saying a reraise on the turn, or a check raise. I have seen that even at some of the lower stakes some players have picked up on reraising on a flush draw (likely from watching the tv show), and its possible in this case he is reraising on you with that. However, with no reads on the guy yet its not an easy ;spot. He could just as easy have an overpair, set or even just something you are beating like K10/J10 etc and believes his ten might be beating a hand you might be raising with. 

To be honest in this spot I'd think what you are planning before you call the flop raise. If you think its an over pair then really the fold is better, as calling hoping to improve to two pair or trips is not really good, as its not great odds. And clearly, you planned to check if you didn't improve, which means why call at all? Fold the flop if  your not happy and wait for a better spot or more information on how the villian is playing various hands.

That said if the if you were in postion and he checked raised this board I will call the raise every time and see what his action was on the turn. If he is reraising the draw good chance he checks the turn (lot of them do), but if I don't improve and he leads out again strongly then I fold.