You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

i need a tech geek;)

edited October 2010 in Poker Chat

I have just tested my broadband download speed and despite paying for up to *20mb broadband, my download speed in the test was 1.84mb..

any way i can only run 2 tables max on my pc (cos its awful) so i am purchasing a new laptop this week.. i was going to get a top spec desktop replacement with a core i7 processor, 4gb DDR3 ram, graphics card etc.. But i need to know if no matter what spec pc i have, will my low broadband speed restrict me from opening more tables?

does anyone else have a low download speed but a good pc,if so do u have trouble multitabling?

thanks for your help x

Comments

• edited October 2010
    Machka on the way :)
  • edited October 2010
    Even 1.8Mb/s should be plenty to multi table.  I'm looking at 4 tables right now and tables alone use virtually no bandwidth.  What may affect you though is latency (ping).

Try a speed test here: http://www.speedtest.net/ (use the coventry server)

Then try a ping test here:  http://www.pingtest.net/

I'm on Virgin Media XL - 20Mb/s down / 768Kb/s down and my results are:

DL 18.80Mb/s
    UL 0.72Mb/s

Ping 30ms
    Jitter 19ms
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: i need a tech geek;):
    Machka on the way :)
    Posted by hawk7112
    erm.
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to i need a tech geek;):
    I have just tested my broadband download speed and despite paying for up to *20mb broadband, my download speed in the test was 1.84mb.. any way i can only run 2 tables max on my pc (cos its awful) so i am purchasing a new laptop this week.. i was going to get a top spec desktop replacement with a core i7 processor, 4gb DDR3 ram, graphics card etc.. But i need to know if no matter what spec pc i have, will my low broadband speed restrict me from opening more tables? does anyone else have a low download speed but a good pc,if so do u have trouble multitabling? thanks for your help x
    Posted by hotpotato
    Hi hotpotato -

The speed test that you went on, did it show the speed in MB/sec or was it actually 1.84Mbps? Mbps is the 'rating' for your connection which is to say you have 20Mbps. 1.84MB/sec is the ACTUAL download speed which is perfect for your connection and is far and above what you need for poker. Probably no more than about 5-10KB/sec.
  • edited October 2010
    Even 1.8Mb/s should be plenty to multi table.  I'm looking at 4 tables right now and tables alone use virtually no bandwidth.  What may affect you though is latency (ping). Try a speed test here: http://www.speedtest.net/ (use the coventry server) Then try a ping test here:  http://www.pingtest.net/ I'm on Virgin Media XL - 20Mb/s down / 768Kb/s down and my results are: DL 18.80Mb/s UL 0.72Mb/s Ping 30ms Jitter 19ms
    Posted by Machka
    How do you see how much bandwidth you are using?
  • edited October 2010
    Hi
    What CP do you have? if it is BT then use

http://speedtester.bt.com/

Take note what speed your profile is set at and throughput speed,

Also do not use internet explorer as can cause problems on this site, firefox is the best and can be downloaded from
    www.download.com
    Gary
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: i need a tech geek;) : How do you see how much bandwidth you are using?
    Posted by Patching99
    Give this a try patchling - http://www.bandwidthmeter.co.uk/
  • edited October 2010
    Even 1.8Mb/s should be plenty to multi table.  I'm looking at 4 tables right now and tables alone use virtually no bandwidth.  What may affect you though is latency (ping). Try a speed test here: http://www.speedtest.net/ (use the coventry server) Then try a ping test here:  http://www.pingtest.net/ I'm on Virgin Media XL - 20Mb/s down / 768Kb/s down and my results are: DL 18.80Mb/s UL 0.72Mb/s Ping 30ms Jitter 19ms
    Posted by Machka
    ok i did the ping test-

line qual: A
    pocket loss: 0%
    ping: 36ms
    Jitter 4ms
    server- Maidenhead

then did a speed test with coventry server-

download 1.73mbs
    upload- 0.67 mbs
    ping- 58ms

please can you or anyone knowledgable decipher this jargon?? lol (i know download/upload but thats it)
  • edited October 2010
    i'm the lowest so far with dl speed of 1.66mb and upload of 0.13mb...ping is 172 but i dont know what that means...

also i'm running a icore5 and can handle 4 tables with ease so you should be fine with the spec your choosing...

happy shopping

xx
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: i need a tech geek;) : erm.
    Posted by Machka
    Sorry long day ;)
  • edited October 2010

Right.....done all my tests but I'm still lost :))
  • edited October 2010
    Right.....done all my tests but I'm still lost :))
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Some things never change.   Hiiiiiiii.
  • edited October 2010
    internet explorer as can cause problems on this site, firefox is the best and can be downloaded from www.download.com Gary
    Posted by IAMALLIN2
    cheers gary ill try that till i get my beast of a system!
  • edited October 2010
    ok i did the ping test-

line qual: A Perfect
    pocket loss: 0%
    Perfect
    ping: 36ms not terrible and certainly good enough for playing many handed poker.  This is the time to send a message to a distant server, like Sky, and get a response.
    Jitter 4ms This is just the variance of ping values, so they were in the range 34-38ms.
    server- Maidenhead

then did a speed test with coventry server-

download 1.73mbs
    For an up to 20Mb/s service this isn't great.  I'm guessing you are on ADSL?
    upload- 0.67 mbs This is good.
    ping- 58ms not as good as before but if you run 10 tests you will get 10 different values, it's still fine for playing poker.

Assuming you are on ADSL then either you are downloading something at the same time or it's just down to how ADSL works.  All your neighbours will share the 'up to 20Mb/s' ADSL line so if everyone is using it you will only get a small share of that bandwidth.

• edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: i need a tech geek;) : How do you see how much bandwidth you are using?
    Posted by Patching99
    DaveOwlX gave a good option.  I use DUMeter which isn't a free option but I like it.

http://www.hageltech.com/dumeter/about
  • edited October 2010
    cheers matchka.. so if i buy a different router will it be faster? presuming i am on adsl atm
  • edited October 2010
    I bought a new high spec pc in march, quad core processor, 4gb ram and its brilliant for multitabling.

However over the last couple of weeks it has been running really slow.  I have an account with geeksquad, dont know if you have heard of them but they are 24/7 tech geeks who you can phone with any probs and they talk you through anything you need to know or even log into your system and sort it themselves.  Costs £6.99 a month but really is good if you know fa about comps like me.

He looked through my comp and found no problems he then did a speed test, the download speed was 0.23 mbps, he said this was awful and there must be a problem with my isp talktalk and to phone them.  After 10 mins on the phone with iqbal from bombay, I had to hang up as I couldnt understand a word he was saying.  Im going to try again tomorrow.

However even with this really slow speed, I can 8 table comfortably with only a slight response delay from time to time
  • edited October 2010
    good show
    OmahonyO
    thanks bro
    ill give it a go

• edited October 2010
    cheers matchka.. so if i buy a different router will it be faster? presuming i am on adsl atm
    Posted by hotpotato
    Probably not.  Try running a speedtest during the day as that's usually a time when not many people are using their broadband.  I expect you'll see much higher numbers than you did above.
  • edited October 2010
    give it a go
    potato
    u never know
    where the wind may blow
  • edited October 2010
    I just tested mine.

DL 0.34mb/s

UL 0.34mb/s

Ping 42ms.

I am the last on the line from the exchange which probably accounts for it.
  • edited October 2010

'Matchka'.......just lol. I promise not to call you that too often. :))

Good thread this though, thanks.
  • edited October 2010
    Good thread i checked mine yesterday but didnt have a scooby lol although i can multitable fine(well the computer) so doesnt really matter to me i dont think.
  • edited October 2010
    i dont know how much you know about comps but maybe its not your broadband it could be just you need to give your comp a good clean up  defrag and get rid of your  cookies gamein soft wear do's lagg your comp give it a try hope it works
  • edited October 2010
    i dont know how much you know about comps but maybe its not your broadband it could be just you need to give your comp a good clean up  defrag and get rid of your  cookies gamein soft wear do's lagg your comp give it a try hope it works
    Posted by xDJSIGNx
    not much is the answer, but since my laptop broke ive been using my brothers pc wich is low spec to say the least.. 40gb hard drive, 1gb ram(2x 512mb) some old AMD processor. I did run a ccleaner which helped but i have ordered a new higher end laptop so that shud do the trick.
  • edited October 2010
    Cheers DaveOwl and Machka.  I will give them a go.
  • edited October 2010
    Just done mine ......

DL - 7.62
    UL - 0.83
    ping - 62ms

Then cleaned up my pc and ran uniblue ''clean up my pc'' and did it again .......

DL - 7.37
    UL - 0.85
    ping 41ms

Which all means that you can do what you like but if your isp is rubbish or if your local exchange is miles away or if the BT wiring is the old aluminium cased type then you will have a relatively slow speed.  

I pay the mega sum of £9.99 a month with free 24/7 phonecalls and run 30% above average for this area :o)
  • edited October 2010
    Cleaning up your PC would have no effect whatsoever unless you had spyware/trojans/viruses lingering in the background eating up all your bandwitch while they download the latest pop-up ad for when you can't pop-up yourself.

I guess if you had zero space left on your hard drive that could in theory stop the speedtest running, I imagaine it downloads the test file to somewhere.  But if you had zero space then you'd be in a lot more trouble than having a slow downloade rate!
  • edited October 2010
    i find if i clean my floppy disc and the heads of my tape recorder i get to load a table every 3hrs!!!
  • edited October 2010
    i find if i clean my floppy disc and the heads of my tape recorder i get to load a table every 3hrs!!!
    Posted by pod1
    i just change the panel pin on the end of me grammerphone that usually does the trick