You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

master cash

edited October 2010 in Poker Chat

Only a thought but is is me or is the Saturday night cash game becoming dull. Same faces at the high levels, sure its great to see the moves and how the top players play hands but is this really of interest to the small stakes players, how much are they getting out of it?

I used to be frustrated by the small stakes shown on the show but my guess is the small stakes players are now frustrated by the high stakes players.

So here goes....... Why not have a cash 60 game where the blinds are 15/30 and the min/max buy in is £60, do the same for 25/50, a cash 100 or cash 150. But here's the point, exclude or specify that these games are for 15/30 and 25/50 players and that those playing higher are excluded.

Replacing the big game (which ljamesl quite rightly describes as a game with no edge for the best players) with these games and inviting the SPT players on the show to comment on hands would I am sure be invaluable to small stakes players.

Or open 3 tables, cash 300, cash 150 and cash 60 and show all 3 throughout the night.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• edited October 2010
    Sounds like a good idea and I agree the same faces does get boring. Variety is the spice of life!
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to master cash:
      Only a thought but is is me or is the Saturday night cash game becoming dull. Same faces at the high levels, sure its great to see the moves and how the top players play hands but is this really of interest to the small stakes players, how much are they getting out of it?   I used to be frustrated by the small stakes shown on the show but my guess is the small stakes players are now frustrated by the high stakes players.   So here goes....... Why not have a cash 60 game where the blinds are 15/30 and the min/max buy in is £60, do the same for 25/50, a cash 100 or cash 150. But here's the point, exclude or specify that these games are for 15/30 and 25/50 players and that those playing higher are excluded.   Replacing the big game (which ljamesl quite rightly describes as a game with no edge for the best players) with these games and inviting the SPT players on the show to comment on hands would I am sure be invaluable to small stakes players.   Or open 3 tables, cash 300, cash 150 and cash 60 and show all 3 throughout the night.   Any thoughts?
    Posted by stien
    +1
  • edited October 2010
    I'd like to see a lower buyin game, for sure- I know my bankroll definitely can't support £300 pullups, and I doubt many at the site can. A lower table would create a lot more activity for sure, I think it's a great idea.
  • edited October 2010
    I agree, But you dont need to exclude the higher players from playing on these tables. As if they are going to play them. "Next week we got lolufold on 15p-30p"
  • edited October 2010
    Can't agree with this more. Getting really bored of seeing the same faces at the cash tables being shown. It's great for players to see the high stake players playing, but change is a breath of fresh air as well. And I definately agree that those high stake players should be if not excluded, encouraged to stick to thier normal stacks rather than dropping way lower than their normal levels just for the sake of getting themselves on TV again.
  • edited October 2010
    Don't exclude the players from playing on the tables, its completely up to them, i doubt they'd want too anyway. But it might be an advantage for the lower stakes players anyway, with LOL and the other guys having huge BR's, they might just shove with 27 offsuit each hand lol! 
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: master cash:
    Don't exclude the players from playing on the tables, its completely up to them, i doubt they'd want too anyway. But it might be an advantage for the lower stakes players anyway, with LOL and the other guys having huge BR's, they might just shove with 27 offsuit each hand lol! 
    Posted by percival09
    Actually several of them do tend to come down in stakes to play on the table that is being currently shown on TV. Not all of them of course, but certainly a few do. And your reason for them being there is a little flawed as quite often when I've seen this the players with big bankrolls that don't overly care about being stacked they can sometimes make the game worse.

Personally I don't care about being on TV, but it would be nice to see some different faces, and let the guys at those stakes have their time in the spotlight. :)
  • edited October 2010
    Master Cash has gone from being my favourite programme on 865 to a programme I rarely watch in the space of 2 months.

I am not interested in watching the same players week in week out at high stake nose-bleed levels. The uniqueness of the show originally was that any buy-in, however micro could be shown, and anyone could get their game on TV. I started playing on Sky because of the "TV tarting" potential and I would imagine 80% of its members did the same. I don't mind admitting this, because I'm sure I'm not alone.

We are just witnessing another facet of the slow morphing of Sky Poker into any other run of the mill poker site.

I don't blame them. It probably wouldn't have been sustainable remaining as it was, but it's a shame imo. 
  • edited October 2010

I think the trouble is that whatever levels they show on the cash tables you are going to get the same players multitabling and unless Sky bans players from sitting at more than one cash table at a time, which lets be honest isn't going to happen, this will always be the case.

• edited October 2010
    In Response to master cash : +1
    Posted by GliterBabe
    +2
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to master cash : +1
    Posted by GliterBabe

+3
  • edited October 2010
    People are so wrong if they think the high stakes players are going to drop down stakes just to be on tv. If there was a 50nl tv table, u might get a couple of 100nl regs on there at best. And thats probably cause they still play 50nl at times anyway. You'll never going to see 200nl+ regs any lower than 100nl. Even to be on TV. Therefore no need to ban anyone from playing anything. Also people have the right to play whatever tables they want.
  • edited October 2010

All noted guys, & I'll send the thread upstairs.

We want to keep trying to improve, change, evolve, & keep things fresh. Not every dart hits the Double-20 though.

Good thread.
  • edited October 2010
    great idea +1000000000000000
  • edited October 2010
    i dont think the play is boring, i think the analysis is plainly innacurate and tedious.. and the viewer questions that are forwarded to the presenters is repetetive!

i am in no way having a dig at the presenters, i think they do a good job, but the play is levels above them.. moves are misinterpreted because they do not play these games and cant comprehend each players intentions, the result is that the presenter just reverts to a default phrase about BR management at the end of every hand :)

i think the idea of having a member of TSP on to analyse along with the excellent demeanor and media skills that all the skypoker presenters currently offer is the way forward to interesting watching.
  • edited October 2010

+everyone lol great idea :-]

• edited October 2010
    Thanks for the replies.

My thoughts are that by double stacking the 15/30p and the 25/50p tables to create a cash 60 and cash 100 games these will stand out as different, with the players playing deeper the spots/decisions will also be more interesting. Having a member of the SPT in the studio would allow these to be disscussed by players used to these decisions.

I would hope a £60 min/max buy in is within the bankroll limit of a good number of 15/30 players, the same goes for 25/50 at a min/max buy in of £100. I hope Sky give it a try and create a game where lower stake players can feature on Saturday nights and those watching can get invaluable advise from SPT members who have moved through these levels.

Regards excluding higher stakes players, i'm sure a simple request is enough, yes I agree lolufold won't be sitting at the tables, I hope he's in the studio helping us all improve our game.
  • edited October 2010
    Ive noticed they dont have the studio guests anymore?

What happened to the sports star on Thursdays and the grind on the Saturday.

Like Stien has said it would be good to have the team sky players in the studio on some nights.
  • edited October 2010
    i think the idea of having a member of TSP on to analyse along with the excellent demeanor and media skills that all the skypoker presenters currently offer is the way forward to interesting watching.
    Posted by hotpotato

I like this idea.

There was a show a few months ago (maybe longer), where James, SimUK and Rolfus were in the studio.
    It was one of the most entertaining / informative shows that I have seen on SP.

• edited October 2010
    Extra thumbs up for TSP to add their input as well.
  • edited October 2010

Studio Guests.

Interestingly, it's been some time since we had Studio Guests, many many months, & we've been carefully monitoring feedback to see if anyone complained or noticed. Nobody has, until now, which says something. The Sports" Stars" & Celebs cost a few bob, too, which adds up over time.

Everything is still being organised as to TSP, but I think it's pretty certain that at some stage, having some of them in the Studio from time to time will bring a new & fresh dimension, as several Posts have suggested, & it'll almost certainly happen. 

But it wont be, I don't imagine, before the Studio Move, which is scheduled for late November or early December. The existing studio set up (where we are now) has been changed, & to bring in Guests right now is a bit difficult technically, requiring some lighting & camera modifications. There is no point spending cash on a Studio we are soon to vacate, so best wait for the Studio move, & as that is close to Xmas, we'll probably get the other side of December before it happens.

I'll ask Atilla to comment, tomorrow, if I remember. She's a bit grumpy today, so I'm scared to ask, to be honest. ;)
  • edited October 2010
    Brilliant thread and idea defo gets a thumbs up
  • edited October 2010
    I also think it would NOT be in anyones best interests to BAN players from certain tables,but leave it to them to do the RIGHT thing
  • edited October 2010
    I did like the studio guests and the '3D' analysed hands but I don't miss them terribly. If the budget can go to other improvements for the channel then I'd rather it be put into those instead. I can imagine people who play on Sky Poker though and possibly even TSP (as mentioned) may come on and play live in the studio. I don't think they would ask for any money either if they got the tourney entry for free!

Great to see feedback is being listened to though and improvements are coming.
  • edited October 2010
    tikay are u saying some of those guests were paid appearance fees? or do u mean the cost of registering them etc

because on occasions the 'celebrity' guests came accross completely unarticulate it must have been awful trying to coax info out of them on live tv
  • edited October 2010
    tikay are u saying some of those guests were paid appearance fees? or do u mean the cost of registering them etc because on occasions the 'celebrity' guests came accross completely unarticulate it must have been awful trying to coax info out of them on live tv
    Posted by hotpotato
    Morning Mr Potato, I'm glad you Posted, because it reminded me, I need to reply to an earlier Post of yours, which I'll do a little later today.

For now, I'll just deal with this one.

Appearance Fees for Guests - depends upon the Guest, but certainly they all get exs, travel & hotel, & in some cases, a fee.

The business model for that is not as simple as you may think, & a Celeb or Sporting Guest ticks several boxes. If the Guest is "right", it brings added entertainment value to the Show, & Viewers.

If we have, say, an Athlete on, the Sky Poker Relations Manager - a very fine young man - will go onto all the big Athletics Forums & spam their appearance, ditto with a boxer, et al. When Ron "Chopper Harris" appears, as he did several times, he goes onto the various Chelsea FC fora & puffs the Show, & with Frank Worthington, onto the Leicester City & Huddersfield Town fora. What this achieves is to attract fresh viewers to the Show, who are all potential new Clients. If we get, say, 500 extra Chelsea fans watching the Show, & "convert" 5% of them, who subsequently sign up & Deposit, it makes the business case. When Mr McCririck was on, he puffed all the Racing fora, & that brings several thousand new pairs of eyes, so despite his abrasiveness, indeed rudeness, he was, in many ways, a very good Guest.

You are right, of course, in alluding to their ability to come across well in front of TV Cameras, not everyone can, & footballers on the wholeare not exactly known for stratospheric IQ's, or correct use of the English language. One or two of them were, shall we say, "hard work". So yes, it's fair to say that some of them, as you say, "came accross completely unarticulate". 
  • edited October 2010
    ahh, i hadnt seen that angle.. i guess it makes sense if they would drum up extra interest..
    (how do i know which post you are replying to? ? or do i just traul the forum?)

cheers teeks, love you
  • edited October 2010
    I would pay good money to see dohhhhhhhhhh and lucky77777 as studio guests!

• edited October 2010
    ahh, i hadnt seen that angle.. i guess it makes sense if they would drum up extra interest.. (how do i know which post you are replying to? ? or do i just traul the forum?) cheers teeks, love you
    Posted by hotpotato
    When I reply, I will quote it.
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: master cash : When I reply, I will quote it.
    Posted by Tikay10
    eagerly anticipated.. am i in trouble