You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

is it ever right to call pre-flop?

hey peeps, just a quick question for your thoughts.
iv learnt lately that its not a good idea to limp into pots and try my hardest to make sure i raise if i want to play a hand however as the title says 'is it ever right to call pre-flop'.
just for example your on the button, utg raises 3x all fold to you and you have say JJ, what should you do? theres still the sb and bb to go. iv had this happen and i called, and the bb did. flop came AK2, bb checked, utg raised pot i folded as did the bb.
can you limp in when the blinds are big and you have a good stack to play with?
if this post makes no sence to anyone then il try and rethink what im trying to ask.
cheers

Comments

• edited October 2010
    Right well it depends on the circumstance, if I had JJ on the button in a cash game, I would always 3 bet. 

In the early stages of a tournament I would probably just call to an UTG 3X raise, if a low flop comes, I'd get my chips in. 

When the blinds are big in the latter stages of a tournament, I choose not to limp, for me it's usually either push or fold. 

It all depends on how that player who raises UTG has been playing, if he has been playing few hands, I'd give him credit for a good hand and then face a v. tough decision on whether to fold or push. 

And sometimes it's not bad just to call, stops the pot building etc if you just want to get speculative with a small connecting hand ..... 
  • edited October 2010
    flat calling is perfectly fine. just be selective of what type of hands  you are flat calling with, (small pocket pairs to set mine, suited connectors, suited broadways) and most preferably be in position
  • edited October 2010
    I dont like the flat pre personally, i like to re-raise them to find out where im at and get as much chips in pre.
    people could be 3 betting utg with suited ace pp which are smaller so i'd want them to pay more to see a flop, then it depends on board and player how i act after