You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

All in with AK?

edited October 2010 in The Poker Clinic
I did this twice today, and lost both times. Is it right to shove with AK in a cash game? I play fairly aggressive in cash games, well i try too, I was fairly confident I was behind, obviously, but hoping to be up against Queens or Jacks, with his shove I wasn't actually expecting Kings. But that's what he had, is it fair enough to call? Or is this too loose? Cheers! Oh and I don't mind being in a race in a cash game, I like to gamble lol!

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalancepercival09Small blind £0.15£0.15£74.84sweetthingBig blind £0.30£0.45£41.40jimifloydSit out    OMahonyOSit out     Your hole cardsKA   FabregasRaise £0.90£1.35£28.868mealCall £0.90£2.25£22.01percival09Raise £3.15£5.40£71.69sweetthingFold    FabregasAll-in £28.86£34.26£0.008mealFold    percival09Call £26.46£60.72£45.23percival09ShowKA   FabregasShowKK   Flop  73J   Turn  Q   River  5   FabregasWinPair of Kings£58.92 £58.92

Comments

• edited October 2010
    I personally dont like it considering how deep you are, if you can be sure your opponent doesnt have kings & Aces everytime then dont think its a bad call. but problem is most times they make this they will have a made hand which is slight fave to ak, after all you only have a high.

Personally i dunno whether i would call looks very strong in relation to the pot but then again they could do this with ak also
  • edited October 2010
    im not sure how nl30 plays but i would def. be calling this off at nl100+.
    id be more worried if he 4bet really small but still would get it in
  • edited October 2010
                        equity          win            tie     
    hand 0          55.477%     49.79%    05.68%    (AKs, AKo)
    hand 1          44.523%     38.84%    05.68%     (77+, AJs+, KQs, AJo+, KQo)

AK all depends on villans range. Get pokerstove.
  • edited October 2010
    most of NL30 players are quite solid, one of the first times I've seen Fabregas at the tables, so it was probably a bad call since I didn't know his range like freechips mentioned. But with the all in shove, I really was expecting JJ for some reason, but oh well ...........
  • edited October 2010
    do u wanna be flipping 200 blinds deep? thats my problem with the call
  • edited October 2010
    I suppose you don't, but I just thought sod it, he can't be THAT strong .... and he was lol! Because before this I had been playing quite aggressive, raising quite a few pots, 3 betting etc ... so I thought maybe he might just have AQ or something ... which I obviously would like to go against. 
  • edited October 2010
    i personally dont if i can outplay the opponent, i think it depends on your read on the opponent. if you think they would make the same move with AQ, AJ, A10 hands you dominate then by all means call everyday if not your flipping with any hands they are doing and probably behind
  • edited October 2010
     AK is a very powerful hand but does not stack up as well as you might think against other hands.

AK vs underpair is about 46/54
     AK vs KK  is  about  30/70
     AK vs AA is about 10/90
     AK vs two undercards (eg 72 off) is about 66/34.
     AK vs smaller Ax  is about 70/30.

With this in mind you need to be able to range your opponent quite well before considering making the call. Me personally i like to take a flop with AK and then assess the situation then.Others will suggest different things and that is right for their way of playing.Late stages of an STT or MTT it is an auto shove hand but in deepstack cash do you really want to put all your chips over the line when the beat case scenario is only 70/30 in your favour.
  • edited October 2010
    fold

the more you play with him you'll see why
  • ybyb
    edited October 2010
    Young_gun 100bbs effective is not deep. This is fine readless imo, though I havent played 30nl on here much so not sure how nitty it is.
  • edited October 2010
    This is fine without a read, awful against Fabregas.
  • edited October 2010
    I take it Fabregas is tight? 
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: All in with AK?:
     AK is a very powerful hand but does not stack up as well as you might think against other hands.  AK vs underpair is about 46/54  AK vs KK  is  about  30/70  AK vs AA is about 10/90  AK vs two undercards (eg 72 off) is about 66/34.  AK vs smaller Ax  is about 70/30.   With this in mind you need to be able to range your opponent quite well before considering making the call. Me personally i like to take a flop with AK and then assess the situation then.Others will suggest different things and that is right for their way of playing.Late stages of an STT or MTT it is an auto shove hand but in deepstack cash do you really want to put all your chips over the line when the beat case scenario is only 70/30 in your favour.
    Posted by Talon

so against regs you only stack off pre with KK+? this is not exploitable at all
  • edited October 2010
    do u wanna be flipping 200 blinds deep? thats my problem with the call
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN

We are only effectively 100BB deep (Fabregas stack size).
    We are calling £26 into a £34 pot.

Therefore if we are 50% against his range, we make a profit on the call - we are burning money if we fold.

From other feedback, it sounds like we may be < 50% against this guy's range, and can make a fold.

• edited October 2010
    I take it Fabregas is tight? 
    Posted by percival09
    Put it this way I'm surprised he didnt have aces. LOL. It depends how you came across to him though I guess, you said yourself your quite aggressive so I don't know if you have a penchant for 3betting light.
  • edited October 2010
    Ok thanks lol! Ms Chips, would he not do the same with Jacks or Queens? Or is it only KK and AA he tends to shove with? 
  • edited October 2010
    Like I said it really depends what your style may have been prior. If your 3btting AQo 99 88, He may want to ship with QQ, JJ, however AKo is still behind at this point. I havn't seen him 4bet shove QQ or JJ before. Was there any history prior to the hand?
  • edited October 2010
    erm not much with me and Fab, I do tend to 3bet with hands like AQ if i'm not in position, depends how i'm feeling lol! But not much history that he could have a read on me no! 
  • edited October 2010
    Well if your super disciplined you can probably get away from this but I know as well as anybody, we all feel we will be struck down by the poker god for throwing ako away.
  • edited October 2010
    How come everyone has this guy pinned as a nit, and I haven't even played him before? How do u all know??

You sure you aren't getting him mixed up with Fabraclass? who seems to have disappeared.....

Big co-incidence that Ive never played this guy.
  • edited October 2010
    Yeh I'm thinking Fabraclass, odd.