You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Bad Etiquette or just simple tactics?

edited October 2010 in Poker Chat
When approaching the bubble in MTT,s  and especially  Satelites letting the time bar run down to the bottom while keeping an eye on other tables is just common sense in my opinion, but someone slated me in chat box

It was a satellite with top 9 going through and we were down to 2 tables. The blinds were 3 and 6 thousand and
looking at the other table they were nearly all doing the same thing as everyone was pretty evenly stacked  with about 8-14 k

Do you or would you employ these tactics if in a lot of cases in means you going through without playing a hand or risking getting knocked out?

Comments

• edited October 2010
    do it all the time.

Also. if they do slate you in the chatbox, reply with questions to get them talking so they type when it's their turn slowing the game down even more.
  • edited October 2010
    I dont see anything wrong with doing that, infact I do it all the time
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: Bad Etiquette or just simple tactics?:
    do it all the time. Also. if they do slate you in the chatbox, reply with questions to get them talking so they type when it's their turn slowing the game down even more.
    Posted by Mr_Miyagi
    Like it - Never thought of that
  • edited October 2010
    A simple yet effective tactic. I quite happily do it myself & tbh, until such time as hand for hand play is introduced it will always happen.
  • edited October 2010
    Do it until they introduce hand for hand play

How did the developers miss this one?
  • edited October 2010

Again, I'm not a tourney player, but I hated it especially when everyone was evenly stacked. The reason being you play to win tournaments and should be trying to squeeze in more hands whilst others use this tactic, however in satelites I completely understand it.

• edited October 2010

A good sky poker buddy of mine was doing this yesterday on the final table bubble of a deepstack.

Eventually, she made the final table, but only had 6 big blinds when she got there.

Unfortunately for her, the average stack was 55xbb, and only top 3 paid. lol

The mind boggles!!!

We all love Lucy :) 
  • edited October 2010
    I did exactly this on the bubble of The Primo on Sunday.

Down to 6 BB with 75 still standing and 60 places being paid I shut up shop and wasted as much time as possible to try and turn my free entry into a min cash. I knew I'd probably make it as there were many strong tournament players in the field who would be ignoring the bubble and battling each other for the win. There was loads of action on other tables and I got there comfortably.

At the time I felt quite bad about using delaying tactics so I apologised in the chatbox, one other player at my table was doing the same thing so each hand was taking quite a long time. The other four were playing at normal speed but none of them complained. Sometimes you're just got to do what you've got to do, it's within the rules.

Saying that, hand-for-hand is a good idea for the bigger buy-in tournaments and satellites IMO.
  • edited October 2010
    A simple yet effective tactic. I quite happily do it myself & tbh, until such time as hand for hand play is introduced it will always happen.
    Posted by silentbob
    +1
  • edited October 2010
    In the one main event I've played to date I was short stacked approaching the bubble and the whole table slowed down to get me through, despite my not knowing any of them or asking for help.
  • edited October 2010
    it's a viable tactic which is within the rules. If Sky didn't want to allow in then H4H would have already  been in (although i do beleive they will introduce H4H to stop it eventually).

While it's available i will use it but mostly in sats as your not trying to win them, just place
  • edited October 2010
    Good and sensible tactics. Particularly say if there are 7 players left and you're on the short-handed table. All three players should really do this to negate the disadvantage of being short-handed.

I do it all the time and make no apologies for it, but given the nature of my game, if I make it to the bubble, I am usually less than average-stacked. If chipped up then it's a different story
  • edited October 2010
    ah, getting to the bubble, them were the days!!!
  • edited October 2010
    Hi, I do this all the time,but have suggested to "The powers that be" that something be changed, ie the time bar limit on first time around. Could someone please explaint me what Hand for Hand is?
  • edited October 2010
    I have an exceptionally simple yardstick for measuring such conundrums:

1. Did you pay for your own tournament entry?

2. Are you enjoying the game?

3. Did you physically hurt or maim someone whilst playing poker?

If you can answer ’Yes’ to the first two questions, and ’No’ to the third, then generally speaking, you’re playing the game correctly.

• edited October 2010
    Haha i like that flutnush,oh yes back to the question i do it ALL OF THE TIME in sats,in fact ive only just this minute done it and have now satted into the £1200 b/h
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Bad Etiquette or just simple tactics?:
    When approaching the bubble in MTT,s  and especially  Satelites letting the time bar run down to the bottom while keeping an eye on other tables is just common sense in my opinion, but someone slated me in chat box It was a satellite with top 9 going through and we were down to 2 tables. The blinds were 3 and 6 thousand and looking at the other table they were nearly all doing the same thing as everyone was pretty evenly stacked  with about 8-14 k Do you or would you employ these tactics if in a lot of cases in means you going through without playing a hand or risking getting knocked out?
    Posted by MP33
    Crikey I did'nt what petty antics some of you people get up to.              Kind regards
  • edited October 2010
    angleshooters itt
  • edited October 2010
    its your time bar, use it how u like, no matter what anyone else thinks, u are given that time to do with as u please, if u decide to use the time as a tactic thats up to you.
  • edited October 2010
    Hi, I do this all the time,but have suggested to "The powers that be" that something be changed, ie the time bar limit on first time around. Could someone please explaint me what Hand for Hand is?
    Posted by redman773
    Hand for hand is when the next hand is not dealt until the previous hand is finished on all tables.
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: Bad Etiquette or just simple tactics? : Hand for hand is when the next hand is not dealt until the previous hand is finished on all tables.
    Posted by MADMOO

Thanks Madmoo