You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Live Tournament rules

edited October 2012 in Poker Chat
3 players still active after river card - player A makes bet, player B calls, player C turns cards face up on table, when i ask players A & B to turn cards player C argues he can still bet, i argue no, as deliberate showing of cards is against rules his action is considered as a fold - who is right?  can he still make a bet, or is his hand folded when face up on table?

Comments

• edited October 2010
    i'd assume he cant make anymore bets but he can call, but just a guess
  • edited October 2010
    Its the good old thing of there are no definate rules!! grrr

Some places will let you turn your cards over (very few though) to try and get a reaction, I'm not sure if they are allowed to raise or not after or whether they can only flat call.. But the majority of places will muck the cards and it will be a showdown between player A and B.

p.s  FWIW, If you were not in the hand its best to just not say anything. Ettiquette in live poekr is if your not in the hand stay quiet.
  • edited October 2010
    As flash flush says best hush if your not in the hand.

Anyways, in the situation involved there are different ways of dealing with it, the most common is the hand is folded.

Now in my opinions here, the way i run it at my events is the player is able to call, but cannot raise, i always recommened the opponents to just take it as information, if they cant beat it simple fold right. Refer to 2010 World Series of Poker Main Event hand with Tran i think, maybe wrong, but he thinks his opponent goes all in and calls and shows, the opponent still has chips back and Trann flops top two pair, opponent insta folds.

One thing i do and a number of tournament directors are in favor of, alot do disagree is i punnish 4xBB of that hand to the play who shows. That goes into the next pot, some take it out. Other TD's take the play away for 1-2 rounds of the table.
  • edited October 2010
    from what i remember in tournaments if your hand is turned face up before all action has finished your hand is dead.

if in cash game its heads up your opponent makes a bet on the river you can show your cards to try and get a read or just show what a sik fold/call ur going to make
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: Live Tournament rules:
    Its the good old thing of there are no definate rules!! grrr  Some places will let you turn your cards over (very few though) to try and get a reaction, I'm not sure if they are allowed to raise or not after or whether they can only flat call.. But the majority of places will muck the cards and it will be a showdown between player A and B. p.s  FWIW, If you were not in the hand its best to just not say anything. Ettiquette in live poekr is if your not in the hand stay quiet.
    Posted by FlashFlush

as i was dealer i was asked to judge, as far as i am aware deliberate showing of hands is not allowed therefore hand was deemed dead
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: Live Tournament rules:
    As flash flush says best hush if your not in the hand. Anyways, in the situation involved there are different ways of dealing with it, the most common is the hand is folded. Now in my opinions here, the way i run it at my events is the player is able to call, but cannot raise, i always recommened the opponents to just take it as information, if they cant beat it simple fold right. Refer to 2010 World Series of Poker Main Event hand with Tran i think, maybe wrong, but he thinks his opponent goes all in and calls and shows, the opponent still has chips back and Trann flops top two pair, opponent insta folds. One thing i do and a number of tournament directors are in favor of, alot do disagree is i punnish 4xBB of that hand to the play who shows. That goes into the next pot, some take it out. Other TD's take the play away for 1-2 rounds of the table.
    Posted by The_Don90

yes, that is my understanding, a punishment is allowed for this kind of play, but weighting that against the pub riot that would have followed i decided on discrection, lol
  • edited October 2012
    3 players left in tournament - button folds, small blind goes all in, big blind calls loses and goes out of game - next hand i am on big blind, as i was button last hand - i say small blind last hand has to post small blind again as it is now heads up, opponent argues that as he was small blind before heads up, small blind should be dead, - who is correct?