You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Luck

edited October 2010 in Poker Chat
It's kinda needed in poker ain't it?

Which is a crying shame as I'm coming to the very conclusive conclusion that I have none. Absolute zero. I mean, I was born good looking and intelligent, but as soon as it comes to any form of gambling it's just laughable.

Don't get me wrong, I've sucked out plenty and I've delivered quite a few bad beats. I once got dealt AA 3 times in succesion on here even. But they're never at important times. Ever.

Read my "exit hands" thread in Area 51. Tonight I couldn't deposit on here as I'd (rather sensibly for me for a change) deposited my limit and withdrew it last night to avoid drunken misadventures. So I played a $20 45 runner SnG on Full Tilt. Got to the final table. Got it all-in with KK against shorty with J10 and flop came 10 10. Very next hand I got it all-in with JJ against the very same player's 66. I don't need to tell you what card came on the flop to bubble me. Once I could deposit on here again I decided to play high stake dyms. My QQ small blind all-in met AA 1st game. Next game my KK met JJ and, yet again, I don't need to tell you which card came.

Oh yeah and I got knocked out of tonight's Primo with top 2 pair against Flush.

I've an accountant, Mere Novice type, mate who I tell my tales of gambling woe to to amuse him. He's mightily amused and always says that one of these days I'm going to hit big. But he's been saying that for 15 years. It's almost worth it to amuse him with my tales of last minute own goals scupering wins. But, I'll be honest, I quite like money.

Should I just give up? Because I'm close.

Comments

• edited October 2010
    Yes, absolutely, to win a game of poker you need luck as well as skill.

Nobody ever takes down a tournament without winning a few flips, maybe a few pots as an underdog too.

Try not to be disheartened, the luck always levels out in the long run. For example; if somebody tosses a coin and you bet on heads it could easily land on tails ten times in a row, but if the coin were flipped a million times it would eventually come up heads almost exactly half a million times.
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: Luck:
    Yes, absolutely, to win a game of poker you need luck as well as skill. Nobody ever takes down a tournament without winning a few flips, maybe a few pots as an underdog too. Try not to be disheartened, the luck always levels out in the long run. For example; if somebody tosses a coin and you bet on heads it could easily land on tails ten times in a row, but if the coin were flipped a million times it would eventually come up heads almost exactly half a million times.
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    Point taken mate. And I understand the mathematics.

But luck's something different. I had AA twice just now in a £10 dym. I've never had that in a £50dym.

Luck should even out.

But it doesn't with me. Ever.

Congrats on the walk btw. Nice one. I live about 20 miles from John O Groats and would have given you a shout if I'd read about it in time.
  • edited October 2010
    i know the feeling bandini running so bad last month or so but hang in there mate we will get through this together and come out the end better players
  • edited October 2010
    welcome to my world keep the faith 
  • edited October 2010
    bandini says          ( I was born good looking and intelligent)

r u sure :)       
  • edited October 2010
    To say luck evens out means that for the average player luck evens out but that implies variance around that average and for many players luck won't even out so you want to be on the right side of the line. For most player it will roughly work - but for a lucky/unlucky few....Have fun. Mind you if you are still playing into the next millenium.........

n Response to Re: Luck:
    Yes, absolutely, to win a game of poker you need luck as well as skill. Nobody ever takes down a tournament without winning a few flips, maybe a few pots as an underdog too. Try not to be disheartened, the luck always levels out in the long run. For example; if somebody tosses a coin and you bet on heads it could easily land on tails ten times in a row, but if the coin were flipped a million times it would eventually come up heads almost exactly half a million times.
    Posted by GaryQQQ