You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

correct to check the flop

edited October 2010 in The Poker Clinic
Ok so i raise pre based on the limps, seems rather clear it wasnt enough. Anyways my point is at this level is checking the flop ok. And the turn can i do anything more. Really i got what i aimed for in the hand, but a suckout, but could i have played it better
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
Amorino1 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £1.53
The_Don90 Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £8.48
skeltonbea Big blind  £0.04 £0.10 £2.56
mark9825uk Big blind  £0.04 £0.14 £1.56
  Your hole cards
  • J
  • J

skeltonbea Check     
mojo1 Call  £0.04 £0.18 £12.45
mark9825uk Check     
tez445 Fold     
Amorino1 Call  £0.02 £0.20 £1.51
The_Don90 Raise  £0.32 £0.52 £8.16
skeltonbea Call  £0.32 £0.84 £2.24
mojo1 Fold     
mark9825uk Fold     
Amorino1 Fold     
Flop

• J

The_Don90 Check     
skeltonbea Check     
Turn

• K

The_Don90 Bet  £0.63 £1.47 £7.53
skeltonbea All-in  £2.24 £3.71 £0.00
The_Don90 Call  £1.61 £5.32 £5.92
The_Don90 Show
  • J
  • J

skeltonbea Show
  • K

River

• K

skeltonbea Win Full House, Kings and 5s £4.93  £4.93

Comments

• edited October 2010
    Personally I don't see much wrong with checking the flop here. For all intents & purposes you've flopped the nuts (assuming your oppo doesn't hold 55 of course but that's extremely unlikely) so you've got to give him a chance to catch up which he does on the turn.

As you said yourself, you got exactly what you wanted from it so it was just unlucky really.
  • edited October 2010
    he only has 3x the pot left behind on the flop so checking 1 street is fine we can still get all the money in
  • edited October 2010
    im betting this flop 100% at this level - would have to make the bet enough to make him go all in cause he is gonna have to on the turn anyway - if he has 55 good luck to him.

You know what players at 2p/4 are like and the chance of them calling a raise pre with any two suited cards is high. Maybe i play nitty but I am betting any board, with the chance my oppo is on a flush draw when i have a set at this level. Just look what happened to me against you the other day - lol!!

as it stands you did get sucked out on big time, and im sure at higher levels checking is fine
  • edited October 2010
    I agree with tapeworm, You got very unlucky tbh and let him catch up which was perfect for you in this case

Although im not really scared of being outdrawn as you have 2nd nuts, i just think at this level you should always bet when you have the goods and more likely going to get paid. You get calls such as AK, or even pp in spots like this so good opportunity for easy double up, worked out fine this one just ul with river.
  • edited October 2010
    thanks guys, i felt id played it well, but the flop would create discussions and help me inparticularly because of the level when usually im pot-3/4 betting that flop. On this occassion i felt the play was right to just check, but afterwards (not because of the suckout) i woundered actually was it, so posted it.

Seems to be a mix of opinions, certainly this is the play for the higher levels, no doupt about it, but i think theres a mix of opinions again because of the level. :)