You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

TIME FOR MODERNISATION?

edited March 2011 in The Poker Clinic
The current traditional card pack has been using spades , hearts , diamonds and clubs since the C15 and originally referred to the four major feudal classes: military, clergy, merchant/trade, and agriculture. I think that an overhaul is in order and the suits need to be updated. My suggestion would be beards , telephones , puppies ( the canine variety ) and marrows.
I would welcome the communities views on this matter. Thank you.

Comments

• edited October 2010

Greens, blues, reds and blacks imo.
  • edited October 2010
    Cards have always been spades, diamonds, hearts & clubs why change it? does it need modernisation i dont think so. does it change the way you play again no.

For that reason im out!
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: TIME FOR MODERNISATION?:
    Greens, blues, reds and blacks imo.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Thanks Dohhhhhhh. Yes of course my suggestion could incorporate a 4 colour deck too. Or perhaps your views where based on a snooker theme ?
  • edited October 2010
    If it aint broke dont try and fix it..............................

I like your 4 choices though very very random ;)
  • edited October 2010
    Cards have always been spades, diamonds, hearts & clubs why change it? does it need modernisation i dont think so. does it change the way you play again no. For that reason im out!
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    Well prior to C15 europes oldest surviving  decks were wands, coins, cups and swords. Perhaps your ancestors became incandescent with rage and stated why change the suits because  they've ALWAYS been this way. The suits we have now are french in origin and were changed from aforementioned tarot suits because the 'pip' suits were easier to print.
    Now we have massive graphic technology in place so what's to stop us from taking that giant leap in evolution ? Afterall,  I recently noted that we are in a new millennium.
    Thanks for your input . In my survey I shall put you in the traditionalist stalwart camp.
    I wonder what Tikays thoughts are regarding this matter ? I always find his views both interesting and informative.
    Additionally the mercurial insights of that errant genius Orford would certainly prove useful  if only for his alternate suit selections at the very least.
  • edited October 2010
    If it aint broke dont try and fix it.............................. I like your 4 choices though very very random ;)
    Posted by donkeyplop
    Traditionionlist stalwart  +1. Many thanks. I'm currently writing a Phd thesis on the concepts of modernity in  cartology. I didn't like to mention it in the original post for fear of excluding some input.
  • edited October 2010
    I remember reading somewhere theres a french deck that origionated from the most common deck of cards (spades, hearts, diamonds, clubs) that had 13 suits. Ill see if i can find it again. :)
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: TIME FOR MODERNISATION? : Traditionionlist stalwart  +1. Many thanks. I'm currently writing a Phd thesis on the concepts of modernity in  cartology. I didn't like to mention it in the original post for fear of excluding some input.
    Posted by shelski
    I'm not sure what any of that means but good luck to you ;)
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: TIME FOR MODERNISATION? : I'm not sure what any of that means but good luck to you ;)
    Posted by donkeyplop
    You are a sweet prince. Fond regards.
  • edited October 2010
    Same as Donkey i dont understand much are you a WUM? or just on something!
  • edited October 2010
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    What is a wum ? I'm 43 years old and not at all in touch with this internet lingo. I only found out last month that lol was laugh out loud and not lease of life. We see what we want to see i suppose. Wum ?, hmmmm ,  with unusual mastery perhaps ? Far harder than The Times cryptic sometimes.
  • edited October 2010
    Wind up merchant lol your threads crack me up keep it up shelski and good luck at the tables
  • edited October 2010
    I'm more of a daily star sports crossword man..................................
  • edited October 2010
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    Actually i love the spirit of your response but i am no wind up merchant. When postulating alternate suit suggestions i have given great optimal consternation to the fact that if the suits were beards, telephones, puppies and marrows that we could designate some ranks maybe as thus -  Percy Thrower - King of Marrows or , perhaps Peter Crouch. King of Telephones - obviously Alexander Graham Bell ( although much historical conjecture here ) King of Beards Brian Blessed perhaps or Sir Alan Sugar  and maybe that insouciant scamp Russel Brand as the knave of beards, or jack as we now commonly refer to it. Queen of Puppies - London poker illuminati Vicky Coren , Barbara Woodhouse ( or maybe Lucy Pinder  if The Star 'readers' prefer ) . The King Hugh Hefner and Jack could be a cheeky moob-meister such as Eamonn Holmes. What do you reckon ? We seem to be rapidly approaching the triumphant arch of progress. Sky community. I embrace your views with gusto. Especially Tikay. The gravity of his sagacity would be a boon in this spot.
  • edited October 2010
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: TIME FOR MODERNISATION? : Actually i love the spirit of your response but i am no wind up merchant. When postulating alternate suit suggestions i have given great optimal consternation to the fact that if the suits were beards, telephones, puppies and marrows that we could designate some ranks maybe as thus -  Percy Thrower - King of Marrows or , perhaps Peter Crouch. King of Telephones - obviously Alexander Graham Bell ( although much historical conjecture here ) King of Beards Brian Blessed perhaps or Sir Alan Sugar  and maybe that insouciant scamp Russel Brand as the knave of beards, or jack as we now commonly refer to it. Queen of Puppies - London poker illuminati Vicky Coren , Barbara Woodhouse ( or maybe Lucy Pinder  if The Star 'readers' prefer ) . The King Hugh Hefner and Jack could be a cheeky moob-meister such as Eamonn Holmes. What do you reckon ? We seem to be rapidly approaching the triumphant arch of progress. Sky community. I embrace your views with gusto. Especially Tikay. The gravity of his sagacity would be a boon in this spot.
    Posted by shelski
    Quite Shelski, quite. I vehemently concur. Sky's use of these antediluvian suits is antiquated and, quite frankly, classist.

Unless the gravity of Tikay's sagacity be withstanding what I'd like to propose is holographic images quite possibly based on the very images you have advocated Sir.

That Sky themselves haven't addressed this problem is endemic of the scant disregard in which this so called "big society" holds the proletariat.

All hail the revolution. Hail Shelski!
  • edited October 2010
    At last a flickering. The light of reason in the long, dark night. Hail comrade. +1 progressional visionary.
  • edited October 2010
     The Funny Farm comes to mind.? Your off your Marrow.!!
    Posted by logdon
    By that would i be right in assuming that you advocate Willie Thorne as the King of Marrows ?  Reading a bit between the lines there but i dig your drift i think. Thanks for that. Progressional visionary +1