You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

next move?

edited October 2010 in The Poker Clinic
Villain is someone I've never played before and is not as scary or tricky an opponent as a couple of other players at the table ;)

I find I get myself into these spots vs the shorties and generally stack off by refusing to fold!!!  I read the turn bet as flushing but how should I be playing it as its an area of my game I want to improve?

Looking at it, my flop slightly +min raise is shocking but vs a shorty - what is the best option there too?

ChirpyChipSmall blind £0.50£0.50£98.50villainBig blind £1.00£1.50£33.68 Your hole cards77   mickjenn1Fold    phil12ukRaise £4.00£5.50£91.9552THEFLUSHFold    shaunmtFold    ChirpyChipFold    villainCall £3.00£8.50£30.68Flop  952   villainBet £4.25£12.75£26.43phil12ukRaise £9.00£21.75£82.95villainCall £4.75£26.50£21.68Turn  6   villainBet £1.00£27.50£20.68

Comments

• edited October 2010
    Deffo put him all in and click the reload button just incase... looks to me he is on the nutflush draw and is trying the stopper bet... AA,KK,QQ,JJ he probs 3bets pre, I can't see him having a 9 in his hand,
  • edited October 2010
    I dont play your levels but to me it looks like overcards Possible flush draw

Pre- Like your raise
    Flop- Dislike re-raise might aswell call if you play like this i would personally re-raise make them pay for there draw £13
    Turn i would aim to get it in, as played would shove. likely villain has a9 but i think they are on flush draw or even bare AK
  • edited October 2010

Just call, and see what comes on the river - and what he bets.

You could get to show down here for £1 rather than £21.68

If a club comes and he jams - just fold.

Theres loads of 9's and flush draws he can have here, he aint folding either, but might fire a missed draw on the river, that would be your value. He is unlikely to value bet weak 9's on the river, so you get to showdown with the worst hand for £1.
  • edited October 2010
    If I just call the £1 turn bet though, am I not opening myself up to be bluffed off on the river?
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: next move?:
    Just call, and see what comes on the river - and what he bets. You could get to show down here for £1 rather than £21.68 If a club comes and he jams - just fold.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Didnt take you as the passive type ;-)

My take on this is if he is on the flush draw he only hits 1 in 4 (ish) so chances are it doesn't come... if you shove and calls on the flush you have made him make a mistake, if the club doesn't come your not getting any more $ off him. Put him to the test, let him make a mistake, if he hits then o well, but chances are he doesn't.

Its a decent enough pot to take down now IMO
  • edited October 2010

You guys don't think he ever has a 9 here?
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: next move? : Didnt take you as the passive type ;-) My take on this is if he is on the flush draw he only hits 1 in 4 (ish) so chances are it doesn't come... if you shove and calls on the flush you have made him make a mistake, if the club doesn't come your not getting any more $ off him. Put him to the test, let him make a mistake, if he hits then o well, but chances are he doesn't. Its a decent enough pot to take down now IMO
    Posted by FlashFlush

I agree with this
  • edited October 2010
    You guys don't think he ever has a 9 here?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    I have put he could have, but Flush & overcards are also in his range. if he calls with a9 wp sir(kick cat)
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to next move?:Posted by phil12uk
    Ahhh what the hell. u got 4 outs for an 8 for the str8. Shove it in. Poker is fun plus you get to find out his hand.
  • edited October 2010
    If he has a 9, he probably makes a similar (or no) bet on the river, unless he hits 2 pair with A9/K9/Q9. 

We may lose value when he misses his flush draws, but we save his stack when he has hands with a 9 in them.

He also may bet/jam his missed draw on the river, so we may still get value from him, I guess this is where you need your notes on weather or not to make the call. 

I don't think he value bets weak 9's on the river so we're unlikely to face a tricky river decision, just call in position here, and make your decision on the river. 

I don't like the idea of just jammin the turn and "if he has a 9, fair play" - Coz he's gonna have a 9 far too often to make this a good idea imo. And if I had a cat, it wud be dead within an hour.
  • edited October 2010
    personally if you flat turn i and comes lower then 9 eg. blank they will still shove being a shortie

By shoving you make them pay for their flush, you can get them to fold out overs unsuited(should do), if they call you could be ahead slightly, or if behind can still hit 8(not ideal), another 7 i just think after investing so much prior to this got to commit. i personally think they could have AK off and still call if you shove turn as people especially shorties will often overplay AK, other hands i would put them on A10 suited, AJ KQ etc not in great shape against them but getting the odds to play so might aswell shove

• ybyb
    edited October 2010
    I would flat call the flop. If you want to raise then raise bigger.

With stack sizes on the turn I'd probably just shove tbh. Dohh he can a 9 but theres also other pairs he can have that aren't folding which we beat. I don't think the players who makes these min bets are the type to bluff missed draws on the river that often either.
  • ybyb
    edited October 2010
    Btw if you shove its for value, not because the pot is 'decent enough to take down now'.
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to next move?:
    Take a fat slug of JD, crank up a classic such as Search and Destroy by The Stooges and just INSTA RAM the lot in. I often find that aggression is its own reward. You never know if you are behind you could suck out then taunt your opponent in the chatbox. Poker is about having fun too, not just winning money.