You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Hi Low Help

edited October 2010 in The Poker Clinic

can someone help me understand,why i lost this pot... i thought any low with an ace beats any other low without an ace............

MrRivaz: shows [8s Ac 2h 8c] (HI: three of a kind, Eights; LO: 7,6,4,2,A)
ChunShark: shows [2c 5d 4d 3c] (HI: a straight, Four to Eight; LO: 6,5,4,3,2)

Comments

• edited October 2010
    Basically your low was cancelled out by the board, as with normal omaha you have to use 2 of your cards and 3 on the board, if there is 2 low cards in your hand & 3 on the board you have a low hand, but if your low card is on the board it does not count.

Eg. you have A234, Board 235,(you have nut low using 2 of yours and 3 on the board) however if the board had come 439 you have no low

sorry this is not well described but someone eg. talon will answer it soon

• edited October 2010
    basically if you order the hands out in order from highest to lowest card, the player whose first card is lower has the best LO hand, if its a tie then you use the second card and so on. sorry this is worded badly but i cant think how else to put it.

e.g.    6-5-4-3-2 vs
               6-5-4-2-A

the winning hand is the second one because the 4th card in the low is smaller  (2 < 3 !)

LO's with Aces in them are strong as an ace is the lowest card available, however they are only very strong when the other card that you are using is also very small.

e.g AAK8 on 3579J board we use A8 for our LO hand but it is only an '8 LO' and isnt very strong at all (8-7-5-3-A).
  • edited October 2010
     Perfect description of it there by LOL. The way i always remember it is that is is rated the same way as a flush that is highest card to lowest card.The only difference is that the ace is always low.Then you have the fact that being a Lo hand the worst hand wins so a 7 Lo will beat an 8 Lo.

The concept of the Lo pot is very confusing at first and i would always suggest having the descriptions turned on so you know exactly what Hi and Lo hands you have at any point.

The best idea when looking for the Lo pot is to have the nut Lo.Which is effectively the 2 lowest cards that are not on the board.

On a board of 3 6 8 you want A2
    On a board of 2 3 8 you want A4.

As good as A2 is for Lo drawing it can be destroyed by an A or a 2 on the board so be careful of that. Also think about playing hands that include cards like 45 in them because they have more scoop potential.On a board of A23 you would have the nut Hi and the Nut Lo which would be giving you the entire pot and not just half. The main aims in PLO8 are to win both Hi and Lo pots(called a scoop) or to win win just the high when no Lo is available.
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: Hi Low Help:The main aims in PLO8 are to win both Hi and Lo pots(called a scoop) or to win win just the high when no Lo is available.
    Posted by Talon
    Or hit the nut hi or something approximate and force then to draw to the lo without the odds, and vice versa. Everybody plays a-2 so split pots can happen often.By that i mean dont only fold hands with no lo possiblilties. It's a fun game but i think one with less variance than omaha hi.
    Ultimateley when you have mastered hand selection it's about aggression. RAM it in like a giraffe on a nun. There is only one outcome over time. Good luck at the tables and I hope you find this game rewarding. For me it's always been the most superior poker variation. I hope you find this helpful.
    P.S my favourite hand is 2-3-4-6 when the ace hits the flop you can murder everyone with the 6 hi str8 and nut lo wheel ( the 6 is a cheeky card ). ds its death to the a-a holdings on an a hi board. Once again gl my lord. :)  happy days.