You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

6 handed STT bubble strategy.

edited October 2010 in The Poker Clinic

Assuming the buy in is £10+1, the pay outs are £15 for 2nd, and £45 for first......

Chip leader has 10k, You have 5k, and the short stack has 2k.

**oooops missed out the blinds are like 150/300, then 200/400, 5 min levels***

What sort of things would you be thinking about? considering the bubble dynamic?

Are we always playing ftw here? accepting a race against the big stack? even though the shorty is so short?

Comments

• edited October 2010
    it's a sng so of course we want to cash. use the dynamics of stack size to bully the shorstack then take him out and caaaaash. easy
  • edited October 2010

Shove on the Big Stack wide in unopened pots, call against either with a very tight range.  Open shove ahoy even at 150/300.

Depends of course on the tightness and the competency of both opponents.  Ideal situation would be Shorty is a rock and big stack is a TAG reg with a good understanding of ICM and SnG play.  They won't be calling you with A2 o/s.  You change gears and nick a few blinds and antes and suddenly the stack sizes are completely in your favour, big stack is now a rabbit in the headlights versus you.

• edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: 6 handed STT bubble strategy.:
    Shove on the Big Stack wide in unopened pots, call against either with a very tight range.  Open shove ahoy even at 150/300. Depends of course on the tightness and the competency of both opponents.  Ideal situation would be Shorty is a rock and big stack is a TAG reg with a good understanding of ICM and SnG play.  They won't be calling you with A2 o/s.  You change gears and nick a few blinds and antes and suddenly the stack sizes are completely in your favour, big stack is now a rabbit in the headlights versus you.
    Posted by TommyD
    You are a bit scary.
  • edited October 2010
    Thanx for the replies, I just wondered with that sort of prize structure, is it more profitable to ensure a cash, then take your chances with a big chip dis-advantage heads up?

Or try and get to heads up with a chance of outplaying your opponent, even if this means sometimes bubbling?

The big stack in the above scenario was just open shoving every time, it got to the point where I had 8 big blinds, and the short stack had 3.

I has in the big blind with king ten suited, which is (was) well ahead of what she was shoving with, as she shoved every single hand.

Would you call?

£45 for 1st, £15 (less than a dym) for 2nd........

• edited October 2010
    Shove on the Big Stack wide in unopened pots, call against either with a very tight range.  Open shove ahoy even at 150/300. Depends of course on the tightness and the competency of both opponents.  Ideal situation would be Shorty is a rock and big stack is a TAG reg with a good understanding of ICM and SnG play.  They won't be calling you with A2 o/s.  You change gears and nick a few blinds and antes and suddenly the stack sizes are completely in your favour, big stack is now a rabbit in the headlights versus you.
    Posted by TommyD
    i am by no means an sng expert or anything, infact i cant remember the last time i played one but this logic seems counter intuative to me. the big stack is the only person who can knock us out so surely we should be trying to avoid getting in big pots vs him, where as we should be jamming on the shorty alot because he will be playing reasonably tight and hoping that the big stack KO's us?
  • edited October 2010
    Thanx for the replies, I just wondered with that sort of prize structure, is it more profitable to ensure a cash, then take your chances with a big chip dis-advantage heads up? Or try and get to heads up with a chance of outplaying your opponent, even if this means sometimes bubbling? The big stack in the above scenario was just open shoving every time, it got to the point where I had 8 big blinds, and the short stack had 3. I has in the big blind with king ten suited, which is (was) well ahead of what she was shoving with, as she shoved every single hand. Would you call? £45 for 1st, £15 (less than a dym) for 2nd........
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Dohhh, im folding because even if he has 23 hes still 45%
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to 6 handed STT bubble strategy.:
    Assuming the buy in is £10+1, the pay outs are £15 for 2nd, and £45 for first...... Chip leader has 10k, You have 5k, and the short stack has 2k. **oooops missed out the blinds are like 150/300, then 200/400, 5 min levels*** What sort of things would you be thinking about? considering the bubble dynamic? Are we always playing ftw here? accepting a race against the big stack? even though the shorty is so short?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    TBH I would probably get a bit nitty here until the blinds reach 200/400 which will put more pressure on shorty to make a move with any 2.

In the meantime I would nick blinds wherever I could ie. making a raise to any check from the big blinds but i'm certainly not getting into a race with the big stack.

Sometimes it's quite easy to work with the big stack to put pressure on shorty without actually colluding or saying anything to each other. Don't forget he also wants shorty out first to make him favourite to take it down.

You are sitting comfy so I would be thinking of how to win the HU rather than how to take shorty down at this stage and I would happily go in heads up against the chip leader with only half his stack and grind him down with a wide range.
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: 6 handed STT bubble strategy. : i am by no means an sng expert or anything, infact i cant remember the last time i played one but this logic seems counter intuative to me. the big stack is the only person who can knock us out so surely we should be trying to avoid getting in big pots vs him, where as we should be jamming on the shorty alot because he will be playing reasonably tight and hoping that the big stack KO's us?
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    I'm talking about the vast majority of hands where we do not want a call, just the blinds and antes (on SkyPoker just the blinds).  The shorty knows he has to make a stand soon and will call us with a much more liberal range.  If we get in a pot with the shorty and lose we are the shorty and our equity falls immensely.  Remember this is all preflop when even AK v JT is a situation we don't want to be in particularly.  Now let's flip it around to how the big stack is thinking.  We are the one player that can hurt them, therefore if they know what they are doing they will only call with a range towards their top end or if they are tight the very top.

I disagree that shorty will be playing tight, he knows he has to take a chance and we don't want that call in most situations.

It's natural reaction to feel this is counter intuitive, that's why a lot of people tighten up at the bubble.  And that's why this way works IMO.
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: 6 handed STT bubble strategy. : You are a bit scary.
    Posted by shelski
    I get that a lot
  • edited October 2010
    dohhhh on your scenario im definately going to shove or call his shove. although shortie will be leaving pretty sharpish a double up would be priceless and put you in a better position to take it down. again this comes down to whether you play to cash or to win, i like shoving marginal spots like this so dont mind going up against big stack even if it means i bubble.
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: 6 handed STT bubble strategy. : I get that a lot
    Posted by TommyD
    And just from your Nan who probably has never played cards. Still i like guys like you. You always encourage me never to up stakes, just stay where i am and make a little . Thanks. You don't need luck :)    x