You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

New Player - Just signed up today, any help would be appreciated

edited October 2010 in Poker Chat

Hi,

As the topic says, just signed up today and looking forward to playing....

Not played for that long, only played via the facebook Poker so never spent any cash playing, so I can imagine how different that will be for my frame of mind.

I just have a few questions if you wouldn't mind spending some time to answer please:-
     1)  Has anyone got any tips, strategy and good websites that i can goto to learn more?

2)  Also is their any Poker schools/tables so i can play with others who can then teach me my errors and where I am mainly going wrong??

3)  I don't really want to spend alot at the moment as no doubt may lose more than I win, what are the games you suggest for beginners?

4)  How does this Bounty Hunter Poker work?

Anyway I am sure I will have more questions later, but thanks in advance for reading

Cheers

Comments

• edited October 2010
    Hi

Welcome to Sky poker, and the forum.

1. Bankroll management is important, a lot of us on here use what we term, the 5% rule, we will not risk any more than 5% of out Bankroll.

2. There are freeplay tables where you can get a feel for the tables, and betting, these are found in the cash games tab above.

3. the 30p/60p double your money games are where I started, but there are also £2.20 deepstacks where most players are helpful.

4. The Bounty Hunter is where the prize money is split into half, half goes on the players heads, and half in the prize fund, every time a player is knocked out the player knocking them out keeps 75% of that money, the other 25% goes onto thier heads.
  • edited October 2010
    question 3 for you you can try dym ( double your money ) starts at 30p, or you could also try deepstack at 2.20pm or 7.15pm at a cost off £2.20 - 12 miin blinds 5000 chips
  • edited October 2010
    Hi Cold Play, nice name btw welcome to the forum and sky and best of luck for starters

It depends whether you just play like a donk on facebook or whether you have grasped the way to play and beat donks on there? if you are still learning the game in itself stick to freeplay & freerolls

if you think you have a good idea and want to try out cash depends what style will suit you, either Multi table tournaments? sit n gos? DYM or cash? if you need a break down of what each are just let us know.

As for books I personally can never finish a book so wrong person to answer but theres alot out there

Advice: one place you can go is poker clinic on here some very good posters who are happy to give advice, read poker magazines pick out bits and test them out. Also plenty of other forums out there dont have to stick to just one although this is the best imo for community & sound advice

Bounty Hunter is where 1/2 the prize pool is for where you finish and the other half for knocking people out. when you know someone out you usually get 75% of whats on there head and get 25% added to your value which is above your head. basically the more bounties the more monies and if they have took someone out you get more the more they have taken out. hope this is simplified please feel free to pm me or post on here and someone or myself be happy to help

Kind Regards
    John
  • edited October 2010
    Just remember that dym's ARE ABOUT SURVIVING UNTIL 3 PLAYERS LEFT. normal tournies and sit'n'go tournies are usually PROPER POKER and bounty hunters you will find that players are alot LOOSER.
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to New Player - Just signed up today, any help would be appreciated:
    Hi, As the topic says, just signed up today and looking forward to playing.... Not played for that long, only played via the facebook Poker so never spent any cash playing, so I can imagine how different that will be for my frame of mind. I just have a few questions if you wouldn't mind spending some time to answer please:-      1)  Has anyone got any tips, strategy and good websites that i can goto to learn more?      2)  Also is their any Poker schools/tables so i can play with others who can then teach me my errors and where I am mainly going wrong??      3)  I don't really want to spend alot at the moment as no doubt may lose more than I win, what are the games you suggest for beginners?      4)  How does this Bounty Hunter Poker work? Anyway I am sure I will have more questions later, but thanks in advance for reading Cheers
    Posted by COLD_PLAY
    Hey Cold Play- welcome to Sky Poker.

If you're new to poker then my best advice is to watch our special TV channel- which specially caters for newbies. You will pick loads of good advice in no time. It runs 24 hours a day with live transmissions on Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays from 8pm.

You can watch it on Sky Channel 865 or stream it from the homepage of this site.
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: New Player - Just signed up today, any help would be appreciated:
    In Response to New Player - Just signed up today, any help would be appreciated : Hey Cold Play- welcome to Sky Poker. If you're new to poker then my best advice is to watch our special TV channel- which specially caters for newbies. You will pick loads of good advice in no time. It runs 24 hours a day with live transmissions on Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays from 8pm. You can watch it on Sky Channel 865 or stream it from the homepage of this site.
    Posted by RICHORFORD

and play RICHORFORD as often as possible, you'll soon be rich.
  • edited October 2010
    HI COLDPLAY AND WELCOME.

GO TO TOP OF HOMEPAGE AND CLICK MORE TAB THEN CLICK POKER SCHOOL,SOME GREAT TIPS ON THERE.

START WITH SIT AND GOES AS HAS BEEN SUGGESTED ALREADY.

MY ONE BIT OF ADVICE IS KEEP OFF THE CASH TABLES FOR THE TIME BEING UNTIL YOU GET INTO IT.AND DON'T PLAY TOO MANY HANDS.

GOOD LUCK AT THE TABLES  FIN..

• edited October 2010
    Thanks for all the advice.....

Just had a go of the velocity Satellite Tourney......did OK to start, but went all in when should have dropped out instead of chasing my previous bet's, was hoping the player would have been bluffed out:(

Oh well nevermind.....roll on
  • edited October 2010
    Welcome Cold Play

Pretty much what everyone else has said really but I would also say to feel free to ask any questions even if you think they might be stupid. There's no such thing as a stupid question here.

Also, one of the best places to improve your game is over in the poker clinic. Post up a few hands & you'll get some valuable advice all for free!

Good luck at the tables

Jay
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to New Player - Just signed up today, any help would be appreciated:
    Hi, As the topic says, just signed up today and looking forward to playing.... Not played for that long, only played via the facebook Poker so never spent any cash playing, so I can imagine how different that will be for my frame of mind. I just have a few questions if you wouldn't mind spending some time to answer please:-      1)  Has anyone got any tips, strategy and good websites that i can goto to learn more?      2)  Also is their any Poker schools/tables so i can play with others who can then teach me my errors and where I am mainly going wrong??      3)  I don't really want to spend alot at the moment as no doubt may lose more than I win, what are the games you suggest for beginners?      4)  How does this Bounty Hunter Poker work? Anyway I am sure I will have more questions later, but thanks in advance for reading Cheers
    Posted by COLD_PLAY
    hi m8y ,

do the following and you cant go wrong .

invest yes invest lol in to your poker account .

if you want to make money on here do this if you dont   and want to try  just luck gl with it .

heres what you do with your 50 quid .

lets call your 50 quid  your bankroll ( br ).

never ever bring in more than 5% of your br to any  poker game .

try 5% @ cash .2p/4p
    try 5% @ mtt.deepstacks
    try 5% @ s&g .double your money
    keep notes on your winnings & losses in each game .

do above a few times for a few weeks .
    keep notes on players and then more notes .

reinvest 50 quid again if you run dry .
    from here
    review your hard work see what you profit in .
    this will be your base for your most impotant of all
    br management .
    get it right from the start and its less pain in the long game .

• edited October 2010
     The best advice i can give is firstly play within your bankroll (rovers tips are excellent there).
      Try to find the game that suits you best whether it be STT MTT cash.Speed or deepstack or even maybe the 4 card variants.
     Talk to people a lot either on the tables or if you think you need help go to the clinic where a lot of good players will give great advice.

But the main thing to do is to have fun. Think of this to begin with as a recreation thatwill cost you money so you should enjoy what you are doing.Save all the deadly seriousness and ego for when you are ready to play at the highest levels.
  • edited October 2010
    Hi mate, welcome to the site,

As stated above BR managemet is everything. You need to feel comfortable, this was my biggest problem when i came to sky from facebook.

Best to note however, most things on facebook is a cash set up, so this will be closest to what your used to, so freeplay is a good turnover, although the play from Facebook isnt much different, so if you feel comfortable, load up £40 and start at the 2p/4p cash tables. Get some freerolls to get used to MTT's.

If you need advice on cash, inparticular 2p/4p, ive personally posted a guide in the poker clinic somewhere, and my understanding of this region is quite good if you need help give me a PM ill be happy to help.

Also i wouldnt worry too much about Bounty Hunters until you have a really strong understanding of the game and feeling for the site, their a pure tilt machine. However basically, its a tournament, half the buy in on your head, half into a prizepool. The prizepool is dived between usually the top 10% of players, and the head prizes you get 75% of everytime you take someone out, the other 25% goes on your head.

Best of luck, Don.