You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Easy decision?

edited October 2010 in The Poker Clinic
No history at all with player, first hand I'd played against him I think. Not been raising a massive amount preflop, not seen him get involved in any big tangles- seems fairly tight, not sure on his aggression factor at this stage. What range of hands do you assign him here?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
DeucesLive Small blind   £0.10 £0.10 £42.38
squirt21 Big blind   £0.20 £0.30 £15.06
  Your hole cards
  • K
  • Q

FINS Fold        
bogavill21 Raise   £0.80 £1.10 £14.79
Mco001 Call   £0.80 £1.90 £7.10
DeucesLive Call   £0.70 £2.60 £41.68
squirt21 Call   £0.60 £3.20 £14.46
Flop

• Q

DeucesLive Bet   £2.20 £5.40 £39.48
squirt21 Fold        
bogavill21 All-in   £14.79 £20.19 £0.00
Mco001 Fold        
DeucesLive ????  

Comments

• edited October 2010
    fold, you're 30% vs a generous range i gave him and i think you need more
  • edited October 2010
    i'd personally fold, reasons are the board is too straighty for my liking and as he was the initial raiser i'd give him credit for a big pair or hit the straight.
     Maybe different decision with more reads but you're a good enough player to outplay him later on if you fold there.
  • edited October 2010
    I'd fold no reads, give him credit this time. although top pair good kicker he could easily do this with AQ, or was he could have set. he may do this with JJ or something similar but no point calling to find out just wait for better spot and more reads later. Easier looking back though as i probably call playing lol
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Easy decision?:
    How often  do you consider an idiotic overbet like this to be a bluff ?
    Why did you call a 4x raise out of the small blind with k-q os potentially 3 way ?
    My view is that if your opponent is not russian, israeli or italian fold.
    If i said to you what are the risk to reward ratios here how would you reply?
    What range of hands does your opponent have here that would inspire you to make a similar bet ?
    Wait a minute, i've seen you on the telly. You sir are a shark ! Are you a wum or something ? i've been duped like a Rwandan orphan in an abattoir ! I feel spiritually violated  :( .......   time for another hot bath with a tumbler of creme de menthe and my chickens claw crack pipe.
  • edited October 2010
    Well, I'm glad all the replies here have been saying, or at least suggesting, to fold- since it confirms what I was almost 100% of anyway- that I was more than correct to take my time making a decision.

When I went through the possibilities, obviously AA/KK/AQ are massively in his preflop raising range, and I have to give him credit for these. But something about the bet felt wrong, like it was a little drawy- it was a completely rainbow board, so there's no flush to worry about, and for me it felt unlikely he had a set. After I got over the initial 'has to be aces' feeling, I went through other possibilities, and thought 910/10Q/JQs/10-10/JJ are all possibilities- decent preflop hands, now with a pair and gutshot. I'd been betting out on a lot of flops, so felt he may have picked up on that.

Anyway, I took my entire timebar and finally called- when I did, he then accused me of slowrolling! In fact, he went on a bit of a tirade claiming top pair K kicker should be an instacall, at which point I was like hang on!!! you serious?

I guess one read I got wrong was that he might be a decent player... lol
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    DeucesLive Small blind   £0.10 £0.10 £42.38
    squirt21 Big blind   £0.20 £0.30 £15.06
      Your hole cards
    • K
    • Q

FINS Fold        
    xxxx Raise   £0.80 £1.10 £14.79
    Mco001 Call   £0.80 £1.90 £7.10
    DeucesLive Call   £0.70 £2.60 £41.68
    squirt21 Call   £0.60 £3.20 £14.46
    Flop

• Q

DeucesLive Bet   £2.20 £5.40 £39.48
    squirt21 Fold        
    xxxx All-in   £14.79 £20.19 £0.00
    Mco001 Fold        
    DeucesLive Call   £12.59 £32.78 £26.89
    DeucesLive Show
    • K
    • Q

xxxx Show
    • J
    • Q

Turn

River

DeucesLive Win Pair of Queens £31.15   £58.04
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: Easy decision?:
     " Anyway, I took my entire timebar and finally called- when I did, he then accused me of slowrolling! In fact, he went on a bit of a tirade claiming top pair K kicker should be an instacall"
    Thanks for that. I just laughed so much i had a rectal prolapse. You have really cheered me up ( mess aside )
    In this case your call was good. Over time i dunno. You know  that that same opponent wouldn't be so sick to EVER try a stunt like that again right .................?   ;)
    GL man and thanks again for that. Brilliant.