You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Please can u assess this play for my benefit

edited October 2010 in The Poker Clinic
This is not a brag post!!! I know this player very well and i know the two is not in his range neither is the four.
I would of expected a shove from an overpair and in my mind he had AK to A T
I dont think he played badly. Should i of folded here or just flat called??
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
xxxxxx Small blind  £0.10 £0.10 £19.11
blondynka7 Big blind  £0.20 £0.30 £37.26
  Your hole cards

Batkin88 Raise  £0.80 £1.10 £42.04
xxxxxx Call  £0.70 £1.80 £18.41
blondynka7 Fold     
Flop

xxxxxxx Check     
Batkin88 Bet  £1.35 £3.15 £40.69
xxxxxx Raise  £3.60 £6.75 £14.81
Batkin88 Raise  £5.00 £11.75 £35.69
xxxxx Raise  £5.50 £17.25 £9.31
Batkin88 Raise  £12.75 £30.00 £22.94
xxxxxxxx All-in  £9.31 £39.31 £0.00
Batkin88 Unmatched bet  £0.69 £38.62 £23.63
xxxxxx Show

Batkin88 Show

Turn

River

Batkin88 Win Two Pairs, 7s and 4s £36.82

Comments

• edited October 2010
    i personally just call when he 3-bets the flop to re-asses the turn, however i all honesty i love how you played this. Using your info on the opponent to good use.

:), one of the reasons why im glad im at NL4 not having to share a table with you on a regular basis now :)
  • edited October 2010
    Pre standard, After that flop not going to hit much of the villains range unless they on 44 which they could play similar to this. rather then keep re-raising i would have shoved after re-raised if you felt you was good, to get overcards to fold

although worked out perfect so well played
  • edited October 2010

How did you know he didn't have 88-AA?
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: Please can u assess this play for my benefit:
    How did you know he didn't have 88-AA?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Because he knows him very well as stated ? He/she obviously folds these holdings regularly pre to avoid being outdrawn. A wise policy both in the long and the short term. That sort of intuition is nothing short of online gold.  Kerching my sweet lord, see you in Rio x
  • edited October 2010
    Dohhhh i didnt tbh i just would of expected a shove rather than a re raise with a made hand. Thats why my hand range for him was AK to AT although this player would prob fold JJ downwards here IMO (i was obv wrong) Also would of expected a reraise pre with TT upwards so really could only have 88 or 99 that beat me.
  • edited October 2010

Yeh I guess you would expect him to 3 bet pre with TT+, you can pretty much rule that out. Not sure if he 3 bets TT??? - so assuming he 3 bets only JJ, QQ, KK, AA and AK.........

This still leaves a range of hands (88,99 and possibly TT) that beats you..

Next question, what makes you think he raises your c bet on the flop with AT-AK?

And also, what makes you believe he 4 bets the flop with just AT-AK???

Once he 4 bets, it's gonna cost you £14 (5.50, plus the £9.50 he has behind) to stick him in and get to showdown.......So you aren't committed to the hand, you can get away.....

If you think he folds 88-JJ, are you turning your 77 into a bluff??? Trying to get him off the best hand? Or betting it for value because you think he will stack off with just 2 high cards?

Your logic seems contradictory.........

Was he tilting??? There must be some sort of read, or something that influenced your decision that you were ahead. But you quote that you thought he would fold 77-JJ, so he couldn't be tilting???

You got it right in the end which is obviously all that matters, so well played.
  • edited October 2010
    Well, you can rule out the two. 44 is unlikely, but that's how I'd play it if I was him- you'd want to get everything in.

Most likely hands here are overpairs to the board- JJ+ will be 3-bet pre, so you can put him on a range (IMO) of 55/66/88/99/10-10. That means 3/5 have you crushed. Not to mention he has a house very much in his range too.

Personally, I think this was loose on both sides- it could easily have gone the other way, he could have had 6's or 8's quite easily. After he reraises you, alarm bells should be ringing- a reraise there is fine, but when he comes back over again I'd be very concerned.

Over time, probably going to be losing money to other random pairs, if you have 88-99, it's very different.

How would you play this with 66/55?
  • edited October 2010
    flat his flop c/r

get it in on turn

generally you will be getting it in behind here if you get it in flop.  turn you let him bluff/shove with worse.

then again i suck major bad at HU so what do I know.
  • edited October 2010
    Yeh I guess you would expect him to 3 bet pre with TT+, you can pretty much rule that out. Not sure if he 3 bets TT??? - so assuming he 3 bets only JJ, QQ, KK, AA and AK......... This still leaves a range of hands (88,99 and possibly TT) that beats you.. Next question, what makes you think he raises your c bet on the flop with AT-AK? And also, what makes you believe he 4 bets the flop with just AT-AK??? Once he 4 bets, it's gonna cost you £14 (5.50, plus the £9.50 he has behind) to stick him in and get to showdown.......So you aren't committed to the hand, you can get away..... If you think he folds 88-JJ, are you turning your 77 into a bluff??? Trying to get him off the best hand? Or betting it for value because you think he will stack off with just 2 high cards? Your logic seems contradictory......... Was he tilting??? There must be some sort of read, or something that influenced your decision that you were ahead. But you quote that you thought he would fold 77-JJ, so he couldn't be tilting??? You got it right in the end which is obviously all that matters, so well played.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

well the op puts villian on a range of A-10/AK  so if the villian is flattin your button raise with AK surely he is capable of flatting pre with 10/10-AA? also batkin states that a 2 or a 4 isnt in villians pre-flop calling range (not 44/22?) so from that statement im assuming she means villian is tight? but in the next sentence expects the villian to stack off with ace high! agree with dohhhh the logic is contradictory and op was v lucky in this hand
  • edited October 2010
    I think you should of folded the re, re-raise imo!

• edited October 2010

I understand what players are saying and in fairness i think both of us should of folded here at some point.
    I am not contradicting myself tho, a player can be tight but know his ace high is good enough on the flop.
    Thanks for the input however and in hindsight maybe a laydown is best here as you can tell im very aggro so hard to lay down this hand (thats why i posted it)

DP u would think i should of folded.

I guess i was playing the player not the cards here

• edited October 2010
    I understand what players are saying and in fairness i think both of us should of folded here at some point. I am not contradicting myself tho, a player can be tight but know his ace high is good enough on the flop. Thanks for the input however and in hindsight maybe a laydown is best here as you can tell im very aggro so hard to lay down this hand (thats why i posted it) DP u would think i should of folded. I guess i was playing the player not the cards here
    Posted by Batkin88
    Snap ;)