You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Some feed-back please

Hi All,

I would like some feed back on how i played this hand please, i know i played it bad,

i played it for because i was in the BB, it was a min raise so i wanted to have a look at a flop, looking for a straight.

flop comes and i have top pair, not the reason i played the hand ofcourse but i played it once i hit anyway.

as allways please dont think u need to spare my feelings and sugar coat any answers, i just want to get better and only the hard truth with do that, thanks in advance for the feedback.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
brian112 Small blind  100.00 100.00 4120.00
mike1975 Big blind  200.00 300.00 6790.00
  Your hole cards
  • J

POOLKING Fold     
swiper Fold     
goodylad21 Fold     
ian4614 Fold     
budgirl Fold     
Kiwini4u Fold     
silversun6 Fold     
shadtill Raise  400.00 700.00 7098.13
brian112 Fold     
mike1975 Call  200.00 900.00 6590.00
Flop

mike1975 Bet  675.00 1575.00 5915.00
shadtill Call  675.00 2250.00 6423.13
Turn

mike1975 Check     
shadtill Bet  1600.00 3850.00 4823.13
mike1975 Call  1600.00 5450.00 4315.00
River

• A

mike1975 Bet  2725.00 8175.00 1590.00
shadtill All-in  4823.13 12998.13 0.00
mike1975 All-in  1590.00 14588.13 0.00
shadtill Show
  • A
  • K

mike1975 Muck
  • J

shadtill Win Pair of Aces 14588.13  14588.13

Comments

• edited August 2009
    PF is fine.  Flop is fine. 

Turn is awful.  River is super bad.

What hand was you putting him on turn and river?  Especially river why are you betting, you have a hand with showdown value..you turn your hand into a bluff river which you don't need to do.

EDIT: top pair in a HU situation is a big hand, FWIW I like your check turn for trickyness but I hate the flat call.  You have to go AI or fold.  The stacks are too shallow IMO to be trying to be playing a small pot.

• edited August 2009
    It's all in for me on the turn, and he either has me crushed already with an over pair or he must be drawing to the flush, in which case the odds are way way in my favour to win.
  • edited August 2009

Hmm, a slightly tricky hand which you played almost perfectly until you blew up on the river.

Ok, so the pre-flop call is fine, after which you hit top pair, 4th kicker, pretty good.

Betting 1st on the flop was good too, to find out where you are. Maybe a 450 or 500 (half the pot) bet here would have been sufficient, would have done the same job as the 675 bet you made for less chips, but i'm nitpicking here.

So this is met by a flat call by your opponent and we see a turn. This is nearly always a sign that they are drawing and do not have a made hand yet.

The turn is the 3h, which to all extents and purposes, is a complete dud, it would not have made them a straight or flush, at worst they have now made a set (unlikely) or an extremely unlikely 2 pair (unlikely because of their raise pre-flop and assuming they haven't been raising with junk all game).

This is where things get interesting. At this stage I would have again bet maybe half the pot (so 1125) to protect my hand which I'm still assuming is winning. You opted for a cautious check which is fine if, AND THIS IS A BIG IF, you are then ready to either throw away or completely commit to any strength shown by your opponent.

So your opponent then bets out 1600. So now you have to decide did he raise pre-flop with an over pair, top pair with a bigger kicker or has he made his unlikely set or two pair as discussed above.

Here you should also think about how your opponent has played previous hands if you have had a chance to see them and then totally commit to the hand either way. So if you think you are ahead, go all in, this is so you charge him the maximum to see his river card. Or if you think he's got you beat, fold. Either play is fine.

By flat calling his bet on the turn, you have let him catch up and overtake you on the river for free. Not only that, but also you have made it that much harder for yourself to throw your hand away when the overcard inevitably comes, thus losing all your money when you are already behind.

And that's the crucial difference. In Texas no-limit hold em, you always want to put all your money in when you are in front, not behind, thus giving yourself the best chance to win. You will definitely win more than you lose if you do this long term.

So, in short, the crucial mistake you made was initially not betting on the turn and then just calling instead of folding or going all-in on the turn after your opponent bet for you.

Sorry, didn't mean to write an essay when I started this, hope it has helped in any way and best of luck in your future play!
  • edited August 2009
    In Response to Re: Some feed-back please:
    PF is fine.  Flop is fine.  Turn is awful.  River is super bad. What hand was you putting him on turn and river?  Especially river why are you betting, you have a hand with showdown value..you turn your hand into a bluff river which you don't need to do. EDIT: top pair in a HU situation is a big hand, FWIW I like your check turn for trickyness but I hate the flat call.  You have to go AI or fold.  The stacks are too shallow IMO to be trying to be playing a small pot.
    Posted by scotty77
    This man is correct.

Bet or Check/Shove turn.
  • edited August 2009

Lol, just realised it took me about a thousand words to say what Scotty and Draig had already said in about 20.

Sorry about that, hoped it helped anyway!