You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Question for some of the big rake builders....

edited November 2010 in Poker Chat
I play 50nl and 6 tables at a time (I can and have played up to 9 before)... How many hours a day do you think it would take to make 24k points in a month?

I work fulltime at the moment, I have thought for a long time about playing full time but with the kids and the Mrs to think about iv never gone for it, if I could guarentee at least 1k a month in rakeback then thats a wage and then would probably only need about £1000 a month in profits to be better off than I am now.

Comments

• edited October 2010
    Wow gl with it,if it is what you are gonna do,xxx
  • edited October 2010

This month i will have played 28 days, 8-9 tables and about 4 hours per day.  I need 1500 points to hit the 20k points mark.
    I think you could make it as a pro player but i would say get Christmas out the way first and make sure you have a min 75 buyin roll, and at least 2/3 months living expenses put to one side.
    If you already have all the xmas stuff sorted for the bin lids then give it a go now.

• edited October 2010
    I wish you all the best if try this venture.
    I would just keep in mind that Sky can change the points rakeback at any time.
  • edited October 2010
    What level freechips?
  • edited October 2010
    so jealous wish i could even contemplate this.... one day i tell thee best of luck flash if you decide to take the plunge. Buy this months WPT magazine section on becoming online pro & they continue it next week i personally think its good obviously doesnt apply to me though
  • edited October 2010
    I am 3 points away from 1000 points loooooooooooooool!

• edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: Question for some of the big rake builders....:
    What level freechips?
    Posted by SoLack
    95% has been at £50nl other 5% has been spent spewing at £200nl hehe
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: Question for some of the big rake builders.... : 95% has been at £50nl other 5% has been spent spewing at £200nl hehe
    Posted by freechips1
    LOL Love it :)

• edited October 2010
    I got 24k points (1k cash) playing everyday, various hours each day from 2 to 10 ........playing 4 tables 50/1 and 1/2 hope this helps m8!

Gibbo

• edited October 2010
    This month i will have played 28 days, 8-9 tables and about 4 hours per day.  I need 1500 points to hit the 20k points mark. I think you could make it as a pro player but i would say get Christmas out the way first and make sure you have a min 75 buyin roll, and at least 2/3 months living expenses put to one side. If you already have all the xmas stuff sorted for the bin lids then give it a go now.
    Posted by freechips1
    Do you play full time m8?

Its nice of you to say you think I could make it, we obv play together alot. I'm suprised you are still short of 20k, but only 4 hours a day is a small amount compared to a full time player as I would expect to be playing about 6 hours a day.

Agreed about getting crimbo out of the way, I have a 40buyin roll which I "cash back to" each week but i'm not as agro as you so I think thats probs OK atm. I'm planning on spending my winnings on a new motor at the moment, then I think I'll try smashing it and see how much I can make, If I make TSP then full time is a must
  • edited October 2010
    do you play 6 hours a day now? i would say that playing a lot of hours is a lot harder than you think it is. You need to get used to playing longer sessions and not losing focus. Adding extra hours to the session is easy but pointless if your spewing off all your money in the last hour because you cant concentrate and are making stupid mistakes. Also remember that theres gonna be times where you tilt or are running horribly where you have to quit or sometimes theres not games at the times of the day you want to play at(not sure what the 50nl traffic is like atm tbh tho).

All these things can be overcome though, just as long as you take them into account. if you really wanted to do it im sure you would have no problem. At the start of the year i was making 24kpts playing only 50nl but i used to play longer sessions then like 8 hrs a day.
  • edited October 2010
    I started playing sort of semi pro at the start of the year, My aim was to make £12k this year and work (Builder) 3/4 days a week.
    I got off to a great start so i have not looked or advertised for any work i think i have only done 12 days proper work this year, LOL im soo lazy.
    The part i find hard is the swings, i had a -35 buyin swing a few months back at 100nl, its a mental killer.  another thing i find hard is, poker can be soooo boring, every night i am dreading the kids going to bed at 8 coz now i have to start playing.  Its great when your running good but when your running bad you will hate it.
    Try and build your roll over the next few months so you have a good start with 75 buyin, i would not advise you to give up your full time job and take a shot at it with only 40 buyin.
    you have any questions i will try and answer them for you BTW my answer might be wrong, lol, gl.
  • edited October 2010
    do you play 6 hours a day now? i would say that playing a lot of hours is a lot harder than you think it is. You need to get used to playing longer sessions and not losing focus. Adding extra hours to the session is easy but pointless if your spewing off all your money in the last hour because you cant concentrate and are making stupid mistakes. Also remember that theres gonna be times where you tilt or are running horribly where you have to quit or sometimes theres not games at the times of the day you want to play at(not sure what the 50nl traffic is like atm tbh tho). All these things can be overcome though, just as long as you take them into account. if you really wanted to do it im sure you would have no problem. At the start of the year i was making 24kpts playing only 50nl but i used to play longer sessions then like 8 hrs a day.
    Posted by offshoot
    I would only play 2 hour sessions at a time I expect, I find it hard to play for longer without getting bored, but it only takes 30 mins - hour before I get the urge back.  I play for probs 3 hours total in the evenings after the kids are in bed, so another 3 hours in the day would be easy.

I think making enough for me would be easy enough the biggest problem is if I stop work then the Mrs' family credit stuff stops and I can't see her letting me stop work to play poker all day unless I can prove I can cover it all.

I'll probably just buy my new car for now, save up again, if that big win comes along then ill look again at it... Either that or ditch the mrs ;) lol
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: Question for some of the big rake builders.... : I would only play 2 hour sessions at a time I expect, I find it hard to play for longer without getting bored, but it only takes 30 mins - hour before I get the urge back.  I play for probs 3 hours total in the evenings after the kids are in bed, so another 3 hours in the day would be easy. I think making enough for me would be easy enough the biggest problem is if I stop work then the Mrs' family credit stuff stops and I can't see her letting me stop work to play poker all day unless I can prove I can cover it all. I'll probably just buy my new car for now, save up again, if that big win comes along then ill look again at it... Either that or ditch the mrs ;) lol
    Posted by FlashFlush
    Kids?

How can you have kids?

You only look about 18! ;)

ps. ditch the misses :)
  • edited October 2010
    3!! lol. Always getting abused from the presenters for it (I'm 23 now but the youngest is 2 now!). 2 are mine the oldest is before we were together. I lead an epic life :-)
  • edited October 2010
    I would deffo want more than 40 buyins Flash.  Also, I dunno where you work, but how difficult would it be to get back into your line of work should everything go pearshaped.
    Also, if you are playing through the day, have you regularly played through the day before on Sky?  weekdays Im talking about.  Its a lot tougher than in the evenings, full of nitty regs you need coolers against to stack.
    I would also be assessing my winrate on other sites.  May be the case you can be a comfortable 50nl pro on here and not make a penny elsewhere.  Not saying this is the case but its a lot lot tougher in the `real world` lol.
    Someone mwntioned the rakeback system, they are right, anything could change at any moment.  I just would not like to put all my eggs in one basket and rely on Sky alone.
    All doom and gloom arent I lol, gl in whatever you do
  • edited October 2010
    if you really want to give this a go i think your best bet is to find a network with 50%+ rakeback
  • edited October 2010
    if you really want to give this a go i think your best bet is to find a network with 50%+ rakeback
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    but if your a winning player they may freeze your account, lol
  • edited October 2010
    If your reliant on cash for points to make a living I really wouldnt bother.

Also i used to think it would be easy be able to play poker for 50 hours a week, it just wont happen. Thing is its intense you have to concentrate all the time where as a proper job you spend half time tossin it off.
  • edited October 2010
    I think what AJS means is you should be able to crush the level you play.
    I have played most of my poker this year at 100nl and i do show a profit playing 100nl.  My win rate is much higher at 50nl than it is at 100nl, thats why im back.  The bad sessions dont hurt as much and the winning sessions can be the same.
    I have alot of respect for any player who can play 8+ hours a day, i cant do it.  Its so hard to play poker for long periods of time and not get into the thing of just keep clicking the mouse for the sake of it.
    One question you need to ask yourself is 'am i a beter player than most of the 50nl regs and can i crush the fish of 50nl' if yes then go for it.  I think you can do it.  Btw the hand b4 me QQ you AK the way you played it i put you on the hand you had,  dont think thats the best way to play it, you play AA, KK differant.
  • edited October 2010
    If your reliant on cash for points to make a living I really wouldnt bother. Also i used to think it would be easy be able to play poker for 50 hours a week, it just wont happen. Thing is its intense you have to concentrate all the time where as a proper job you spend half time tossin it off.
    Posted by ajs4385
    absolutely spot on + 1
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: Question for some of the big rake builders.... : absolutely spot on + 1
    Posted by Kid_Ology
    This really just repeats some of the above comments really but...

Being on a bad run is bad enough when you're only playing part time or even as a bit of fun but if you're playing to pay bills it can be extremely stressful.

Bankroll management is of the utmost importance and (if you do) you really need to cut out going on tilt altogether, though that's easier said than done though lol.

I don't really know much about the points system here tbh as I only play now and again for a bit of fun/pocket money now, but, I would've thought playing elsewhere with a 55% cakeback deal would be a better option if playing full time.

GL if you decide to do it (though I've heard hundreds of people say it before lol, usually when they'e having a decent run) :)
  • ybyb
    edited October 2010
    If you want to play poker full time I would definitely want to have a BR of more than 40BI's (+ some non-poker money aside as well in case things don't go to plan at the start). I don't play for a living and I won't even take shots at a higher level until I have at least 40-50 BI's, so if I played full-time I'd want to have 100-150+ BI's tbh.

Imo its definitely possible to make a living griding 50nl + on here, obv the rakeback isn't as good as on other sites but the games are soft comparatively so that more than makes up for it. The more nitty you play the more decent rakeback becomes important though I would think.

Gl
  • edited November 2010
    STOP!!!!!

I would strongly recommend keeping your job in your situation.  There have been some good points raised by the fulltime players and you have to take heed of the large amount of negatives.  It sounds like a fantastic way to live but the reality isn't this champagne balla lifestyle with spare time aplenty.  Peace of mind is a major influence on the game and when you're single with no dependants and no responsibilities i would say fine.... if you really need to do this then have a crack.  It doesn't matter that much if you go brokesy wokesy and maybe you'll even do well and make some cash!  :)  But you have kids to think about here.  I can't tell you the feeling of getting halfway through a month then hitting a 10+ buyin downswing and thinking...... hold on....... not only have i not earnt a penny so far this month...... but after putting in 60 hours work i actually have less than i started with!  This then perpetuates into more worry about how to put food on your kids plates which then negatively affects your game even more.  It's an incredibly stressfull game without dependants but knowing you HAVE to win to make any money just adds to the stress.  This is where a decent amount of money set aside from your bankroll is essential. 
    Even having this cash aside is no good unless you're winning more than you're spending.  From your OP it sounds like you're not even sure about this.  To go for this you must KNOW EXACTLY what you're capable of.  That means hundreds of thousands of hands logged with accurate records etc.  You shouldn't need to come here and ask how many hours at a certain level will make you £1k because you should already know this through experience.  Or at least know how many hours makes you £500 or whatever.  It's also great to be working and watching your balance increase every month but once you start taking £2k out of your bankroll every month it's much harder to build.
    Also think about volume.  Not only do you need to grind multi tables but i guess at the moment you're playing on evenings when the site's busy.  Are you gonna just stick to evenings?  Maybe play some daytime?  Can you beat daytime grinders at Sky?  Also think about playing on other sites?  Do you currently?  Can you easily beat other sites?  If not, then be careful as i've seen Sky Poker evolve over the years from an utter donkfest where a good player could sit down and earn as much as they like.... to a site more and more filled with decent players.  IMO it's only going to get tougher here especially when the download software is readily available.
    Also think about your freetime.  At the moment you can spend your time after work doing what you want.  Sit down, watch TV.... go to the pub...... go for a meal....... whatever.  As soon as you 'turn pro' most of that spare time will disappear.  You'll play most nights after your dinner usually until well after midnight, you won't see your kids as often, you won't spend as much time with your missus (dunno if that's good or bad lol), you'll wake up late and go to bed late.  Imagine what the missus would say if you were spending every night playing a video game from 7pm til 2am.  It's very similar.  Yes she'll probably understand that with poker you have to earn cash but it still puts a strain on things and you have to have nights off.  Not always easy if 3 weeks into a month you've only made £500.  Also the exhaustion of playing the game and concentrating 100% for hours on end must be considered. 

All in all i would strongly advise you kept your job until you know that poker will be +EV both mentally and financially.  I'm looking for a job again now so that i can still play poker but on my terms.  When i like and for how much i like without having to worry about it.  It would be so nice sometimes to take a few weeks off instead of sat staring at twin monitors every night.  I still make more money at this than working a dayjob but the stress of it isn't really worth the reward anymore.  Much better to get/keep a guaranteed monthly income and play on the side.  2+ years ago was much easier and basically a licence to print money.  These days the game is much tougher to beat.

Why not keep your job and take poker a bit more seriously for a while.  Keep accurate stats on everything you can think of.  Play more each month..... maybe 2 weeks per month play 5 nights a week after work..... treat poker as a second job and as a business rather than a cash making hobby.  Maybe then after a few months you'll be better informed about yourself and your situation.

glgl
  • edited November 2010
    great post mate
  • edited November 2010
    Sorry Flash but I don't recommend this at all, nothing to do with your ability as a player but you have alot of responsibility and being a rake-back pro isn't the way forward and definitely isn't recommended to quit your job over. 

If you wanna speak to me in private about it mate give me a call. Sort of wished you had asked me before posting this on the forum.

Ps - Cottlads got it spot on!
  • edited November 2010
    STOP!!!!! I would strongly recommend keeping your job in your situation.  There have been some good points raised by the fulltime players and you have to take heed of the large amount of negatives.  It sounds like a fantastic way to live but the reality isn't this champagne balla lifestyle with spare time aplenty.  Peace of mind is a major influence on the game and when you're single with no dependants and no responsibilities i would say fine.... if you really need to do this then have a crack.  It doesn't matter that much if you go brokesy wokesy and maybe you'll even do well and make some cash!  :)  But you have kids to think about here.  I can't tell you the feeling of getting halfway through a month then hitting a 10+ buyin downswing and thinking...... hold on....... not only have i not earnt a penny so far this month...... but after putting in 60 hours work i actually have less than i started with!  This then perpetuates into more worry about how to put food on your kids plates which then negatively affects your game even more.  It's an incredibly stressfull game without dependants but knowing you HAVE to win to make any money just adds to the stress.  This is where a decent amount of money set aside from your bankroll is essential.  Even having this cash aside is no good unless you're winning more than you're spending.  From your OP it sounds like you're not even sure about this.  To go for this you must KNOW EXACTLY what you're capable of.  That means hundreds of thousands of hands logged with accurate records etc.  You shouldn't need to come here and ask how many hours at a certain level will make you £1k because you should already know this through experience.  Or at least know how many hours makes you £500 or whatever.  It's also great to be working and watching your balance increase every month but once you start taking £2k out of your bankroll every month it's much harder to build. Also think about volume.  Not only do you need to grind multi tables but i guess at the moment you're playing on evenings when the site's busy.  Are you gonna just stick to evenings?  Maybe play some daytime?  Can you beat daytime grinders at Sky?  Also think about playing on other sites?  Do you currently?  Can you easily beat other sites?  If not, then be careful as i've seen Sky Poker evolve over the years from an utter donkfest where a good player could sit down and earn as much as they like.... to a site more and more filled with decent players.  IMO it's only going to get tougher here especially when the download software is readily available. Also think about your freetime.  At the moment you can spend your time after work doing what you want.  Sit down, watch TV.... go to the pub...... go for a meal....... whatever.  As soon as you 'turn pro' most of that spare time will disappear.  You'll play most nights after your dinner usually until well after midnight, you won't see your kids as often, you won't spend as much time with your missus (dunno if that's good or bad lol), you'll wake up late and go to bed late.  Imagine what the missus would say if you were spending every night playing a video game from 7pm til 2am.  It's very similar.  Yes she'll probably understand that with poker you have to earn cash but it still puts a strain on things and you have to have nights off.  Not always easy if 3 weeks into a month you've only made £500.  Also the exhaustion of playing the game and concentrating 100% for hours on end must be considered.  All in all i would strongly advise you kept your job until you know that poker will be +EV both mentally and financially.  I'm looking for a job again now so that i can still play poker but on my terms.  When i like and for how much i like without having to worry about it.  It would be so nice sometimes to take a few weeks off instead of sat staring at twin monitors every night.  I still make more money at this than working a dayjob but the stress of it isn't really worth the reward anymore.  Much better to get/keep a guaranteed monthly income and play on the side.  2+ years ago was much easier and basically a licence to print money.  These days the game is much tougher to beat. Why not keep your job and take poker a bit more seriously for a while.  Keep accurate stats on everything you can think of.  Play more each month..... maybe 2 weeks per month play 5 nights a week after work..... treat poker as a second job and as a business rather than a cash making hobby.  Maybe then after a few months you'll be better informed about yourself and your situation. glgl
    Posted by cottlad
    Great post Shaun 100% spot on... +1
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: Question for some of the big rake builders.... : Great post Shaun 100% spot on... +1
    Posted by GliterBabe
    +2

Who would think a big oaf like you could write such a thing!! ;)

+3 from mickjenn1 as well
  • edited November 2010
    Ummm I think that's End of Thread now lol. Having gone through 99% of what cottlad said myself, he is bang on. Hardly any family life and a hell of a lot of stress, even more so if you can't beat the game and beat it well.
  • edited November 2010
    Cheers for the feedback guys.

It really shows the spirit of this site, people actually care about 1 another and don't just say yeah what the hell go for it. Had people PM'ing me their stories as well which was a nice insight into the poker life.

I do make a decent profit from poker, enough so to treat myself and the family to nice things. With my wages they simply cover my bills and thats it, so the thinking in my head was if the rakeback was the same as my current wage then it gives me alot more time to make a good profit at poker rather than 3 hour in the evening.

I'll listen to all your wise heads and not do anything silly, I'll use the money saved to buy a nice car and take the kids on holiday next year.

Thanks again for all the advice

Charlie