You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Should you go straight hunting?

edited October 2010 in The Poker Clinic
It's a question I always find myself asking when I have 4 running cards and need another card to hit. Should you be checking and hoping you hit or should you be betting to get more money if you do hit?? 

I'm trying to go through my hand history for a couple of examples..

It would be good to know how you approach straights......

Comments

• edited October 2010
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    joeboy2 Small blind   15.00 15.00 2115.00
    PKRPar Big blind   30.00 45.00 1945.00
      Your hole cards

rkelly Fold        
    Lady_Mav Fold        
    JACOBWBA Fold        
    LTRAIN Fold        
    joeboy2 Call   15.00 60.00 2100.00
    PKRPar Check        
    Flop

joeboy2 Check        
    PKRPar Check        
    Turn

joeboy2 Check        
    PKRPar Bet   45.00 105.00 1900.00
    joeboy2 Fold        
    PKRPar Muck        
    PKRPar Win   60.00   1960.00
    PKRPar Return   45.00 0.00 2005.00
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: Should you go straight hunting?:
    Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance joeboy2 Small blind   15.00 15.00 2115.00 PKRPar Big blind   30.00 45.00 1945.00   Your hole cards 6 5       rkelly Fold         Lady_Mav Fold         JACOBWBA Fold         LTRAIN Fold         joeboy2 Call   15.00 60.00 2100.00 PKRPar Check         Flop     9 10 7       joeboy2 Check         PKRPar Check         Turn     8       joeboy2 Check         PKRPar Bet   45.00 105.00 1900.00 joeboy2 Fold         PKRPar Muck         PKRPar Win   60.00   1960.00 PKRPar Return   45.00 0.00 2005.00
    Posted by PKRPar
    I wouldnt go crazy with that hand, as you only have lower str8 so i would try and keep pot control and get to the end, as any one with a j in there hand is beating you, It gets exspensive keep chasing gut shots, But i chase is i flop a up and down straight, but if i need 1 middle card to make a stright there is only so much i would pay to see another card.
  • edited October 2010
    Open ended str8s with no pairing or flushing board are worth chasing.
    If u flop an open ended str8 with only one other player in the pot and they bet into u its worth giving it a little raise to disguise ur hand, and this will also let u see the river card for cheaper the majority of the time
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: Should you go straight hunting?:
    Open ended str8s with no pairing or flushing board are worth chasing. If u flop an open ended str8 with only one other player in the pot and they bet into u its worth giving it a little raise to disguise ur hand, and this will also let u see the river card for cheaper the majority of the time
    Posted by Batkin88

I like the sound of that. I'll give it a try next time and see what happens :)
  • edited October 2010
    In that scenario if the villain is checking his life away of course I'd have done the same as you. Very cheap to get to the turn and your 4 outer card. Now if he had done a decent bet on the flop (around a pot size bet) I think I'd be getting off the hand with your odds. Same goes for a bet pre-flop, you had a very average hand so would have laid that down.

Due to his antics before the turn I wouldn't have actually bet so strong as it was clear to him a straight draw was available and your first bet when the 8 came must have given him a sign to leave. You probably got a little lucky he let you get that far for so little and when your card came he got lucky that he hadn't really committed any of his stack.

Poor payout for your hand but I'm surprised it ever got that far :)
  • edited October 2010
     I would always recommend betting your draws for several reasons.Firstly it will build up the pot nicely for when you do hit. Secondly by betting out you give most people the idea that you have hit the board and as such they will not put you on the draw and so you increase your chance of being paid off when it comes in. But mainly you should be betting them because if you check or check/call then the only way to win the pot is to hit. If you bet out then you give yourself 2 chances to win by hitting or by making your opponent fold.
  • edited October 2010
    i would check back this flop, turn is fine.

if say you raised preflop and got a caller i would be checking with the intention of folding if OOP to them.
    it is a super wet flop meaning we have very little fold equity, we only have a gutshot, and our gutshot is to the 'idiot end' and if we do bink it, i wouldnt be happy about putting lots of money in the pot