You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

should i let go or was i correct to call the all in

edited October 2010 in The Poker Clinic
i was horrified by the play of my op i thought i had put enough in pre to say i had a hand but what do i know lol
IDJIUT Small blind  10.00 10.00 1970.00
snowdon6 Big blind  20.00 30.00 1980.00
  Your hole cards
  • A
  • Q

chefboy79 Raise  100.00 130.00 1930.00
MKDONS09 Fold     
Shorty9 Fold     
tallytink Call  100.00 230.00 1900.00
IDJIUT Fold     
snowdon6 Fold     
Flop

• J
  • Q

chefboy79 Bet  230.00 460.00 1700.00
tallytink All-in  1900.00 2360.00 0.00
chefboy79 Call  1670.00 4030.00 30.00
chefboy79 Show
  • A
  • Q

tallytink Show

Turn

• J

River

tallytink Win Flush to the Queen 4030.00

Comments

• ybyb
    edited October 2010
    If getting your money in as a 61% favourite horrifies you then you shouldn't be playing.
  • edited October 2010
    sorry yb are u saying im 61% fav or op was 61% fav because i said i was horrified by his play not mine i have no problems losing with ace q hence i ask if i should lay it down but i cant see how my op thought they were a head
  • edited October 2010
    chefboy, ive played with this opponent many a times, AQ is well above their range. Also guessing its likley a £2.30 - £5.50 BH ?
  • edited October 2010
    hi don it was the 3 o clock 200 gtd thats what i cant understand if it was a bounty hunter yes but this was a freeze out oh well win some lose some lol
  • edited October 2010

78 suited is a nice starting hand :D nice to see a flop if its cheap and 100 aint that exspensive. :P im caling pre flop for 100 with 78!

• edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: should i let go or was i correct to call the all in:
    78 suited is a nice starting hand :D nice to see a flop if its cheap and 100 aint that exspensive. :P im caling pre flop for 100 with 78!
    Posted by shaun09
    this play is fine in a deepie or cash. But in a faster paced tournament you will bust early far too often.
  • edited October 2010
    Oh yeah blinds only 10/20 :/ but same with the aq do you really want to be calling an all in this early?

As this is start of tounry, i would of folded 78 after that flop! lol :P
  • edited October 2010

Look at it from his perspective you have raised 4x the amount so ur saying i have a strong hand AK AQ AA KK he has picked up perfect low connecters at the start or an MTT he is never going to fold because he can near enough put u on ur hand pre IMO (Il throw the IMO in before everyone starts having ago at me) he has hit the flush draw and u have hit which is exactly what he wants and u bet into it he is always shoving here and you should be calling its an unfortunate hand for u as ur 60% fav but a good play by tallytink.

• edited October 2010
    i dont think either of you did much wrong... u were right to raise.. he was entitled to call with suited connectors.. (even if a little losse im calling).. post flop after you bet out i either flat call hoping to see cheap flush or push like he did..

played itself imo
  • edited October 2010
    Yeah I don't think you did a lot wrong if you didn't have reads on the villain but with a starting stack of 2k I don't think you could have.

When the flop came I don't think he was ever going to lay down the 7/8 so it was a little unfortunate. Being first to bet though it was always tough to gauge where you were. I may have folded there with an all in on a flush draw board and a possible straight opportunity if he goes over the top of you on (lets be fair) quite a big raise from you for the pot size.

So early in the tournament to risk your tournament life I wouldn't have gone through with it. You could have figured him out and taken him down later on if he's playing as loose as that pre-flop.
  • edited October 2010
    cheers all for the info and i think your right i should in all layed it down i have played this op quite a few times and got to admit i have prob won 6/10 times with the same situation just one of those times where so early i was tring to a domonate the table and b the early double up but thats poker see u all on the tables