You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

What would you have done with AK in this situation?

We were 4 handed on the final table of the £400 deepstack last night. All 4 of us were playing decent solid poker without any 'lary' moves.  Gadgerno1 had a 3x chip lead over the other 3 of us who all had a similar stack.
spitfire10 Small blind  800.00 800.00 12707.50
Huck_Nall Big blind  1600.00 2400.00 19005.00
  Your hole cards
  • A
  • K

phil12uk Raise  4800.00 7200.00 19595.00
gadgerno1 All-in  46492.50 53692.50 0.00
spitfire10 Fold     
Huck_Nall Fold     
phil12uk Fold     
gadgerno1 Muck     
gadgerno1 Win  53692.50  53692.50
Would you have called or folded and why?

All feedback greatly appreciated here!

Comments

• edited August 2009
    Call.  Seeing as you all had similar stakes bar the CL you a) need to distance yourself from the other stacks and b) take every opportunity to build a stack vs CL...you have 15bbs, while you aren't in any serious need to get busy if you are to go for the win then just get it in. 

You are only in trouble vs AA/KK and his range is far wider than that.

I honestly can't see how you can fold here; AK has such huge equity and its not like you are micro rolled so playing to ladder isn't an issue.

There are very, very few situations where it is right to fold AK in a tournie and this ain't one of them.

An aside, say one of the guys with a similar stack to you pushed, would you call or fold?
  • edited August 2009

I remember this hand Phil.

Personally I would have bet All In rather than the raise.

However, as played, you just about have some fold equity and have to decide whether you want a race against QQ or JJ or has he really got the KK or AA, which is doubtful.

Me, I'm calling

• edited August 2009
    I have to call here Phil, but I know I'm probably racing.

Here's another scenario. Imagine you are BB and Gadgerno1 pushes All in UTG for all your chips - do you call with this hand?..... YES!...in a shot! In which case I don't think it makes a different how the betting goes.

Then again I folded KK PF in a live cash game recently so I might be tilting.

COYS,

Andy.

P.S You also have under 8 orbits on this game left so you don't have much choice.
  • edited August 2009
    Personally I would have bet All In rather than the raise.

I don't know how the table had been playing, but if the big stack is a thinking player the a 3x raise (which is standard) could look like t a blind steal and therefore make his 3betAI even wider.

I like a AI with AJ/AT/small pair here as it really shuts down the hand and then you have no more decisions.
  • edited August 2009
    You have to call. As said before you are only in serious trouble if your opponent has AA or KK. Even if he has KK you have a reasonable chance(30%) obviously aces would be terrible. But you have got to ask yourself are you playing to win tournament or just looking to ladder. Most of the money is in the top two spots and over the long term I think trying to get this double up is the most profitable play. You could still go on and win if you fold but if you call and double up you have great chance of making the top 2 minimum. His range is reasonably wide and defiendly includes various hands like ace queen and ace jack which your hand plays well against. Pocket pairs queens and lower you are flipping with money already in pot. For me this is an easy call but everyone plays different. What position did you finish in the end anyway?
  • edited August 2009
    Made no difference folding here cos I still ended up 4th :(

My thoughts were I was racing and he said after that he had 88.  But did I want to race when I felt confident (unfounded this time) that I had the skill to win!!! Perhaps as Roy (Hucknall) had said, an open shove would have got rid of this dilemma anyway.  I generally always want my money in first and would prefer the opponent to call for the race rather than vice versa (if that makes sense!!) 

Cheers for feedback so far........... that's why I love this game - you are always learning!!
  • edited August 2009
    In Response to Re: What would you have done with AK in this situation?:
    Made no difference folding here cos I still ended up 4th :( My thoughts were I was racing and he said after that he had 88.  But did I want to race when I felt confident (unfounded this time) that I had the skill to win!!! Perhaps as Roy (Hucknall) had said, an open shove would have got rid of this dilemma anyway.  I generally always want my money in first and would prefer the opponent to call for the race rather than vice versa (if that makes sense!!)  Cheers for feedback so far........... that's why I love this game - you are always learning!!
    Posted by phil12uk
    If you think you are racing you should really call as there is money already in the pot and you are getting value to call. Sometimes you do have to gamble to win the big bux lol. I dont mind the shove as quite often you will get looked up by hands such as ace queen etc, and it makes it atough call with like 8s or 9s. I think the opening raise is fine though, but I would certainly have called shove. Anyway this is just my view on things and if you felt confident with your stack when folding I suppose it wasnt a bad fold.
  • edited August 2009
    I have to call here Phil, but I know I'm probably racing. Here's another scenario. Imagine you are BB and Gadgerno1 pushes All in UTG for all your chips - do you call with this hand?..... YES!...in a shot! In which case I don't think it makes a different how the betting goes. Then again I folded KK PF in a live cash game recently so I might be tilting. COYS, Andy. P.S You also have under 8 orbits on this game left so you don't have much choice.
    Posted by Sky_Andy
    I've just read that post m8. I think we must be the 2 tightest players to ever live :)
  • edited August 2009
    Also, if you're raising in the cutoff with a hand you arent prepared to shove with, id make it 2.5bb at this stage of the tourney since you're committing quite alot of your stack already.

But in this case, it's instacall. Only time i'd ever fold would be on FT as a felted stack with like 3 all ins ahead of me just because every bustout is worth so much ££
  • edited August 2009
    phil my mate, dont make much of a difference but I had qq
    wanted to give you the headache, hope its warn off now buddy
    see you at the tables soon.
  • edited August 2009
    i would have shoved first---with blinds at that portion of your stack you dont want to be called here--and if you want to have a chance of winning --then a race with a-k is also fine at this stage--- his range with that stack is massive--and the chances of you getting a better hand before you get blinded out are not that good--just ask tikay--lol---"stick ya chips in the middle--see what happens"
  • edited August 2009
    hate  ak  aq  in  them    situation  he   had  high  pocket    pocket  pairs  beat  them  nearly  all  the  time    u  are  only  calling  with  ace  high
  • edited August 2009

HELLO MATE... BIT OF A QUANDRY... BUT I PERSONALLY THINK U MADE A REASONABLE PLAY... U LED OUT WIV AN ADEQUATE RAISE PRE.. GOT RERAISED ALL IN... AND KNOWING THE PLAYER THAT U R DID U WANT TO RISK UR 3 HOUR GRIND JUST ON ACE HIGH... ??? I KNOW I WOULDNT.... GOOD FOLD;-)

• edited August 2009
    HELLO MATE... BIT OF A QUANDRY... BUT I PERSONALLY THINK U MADE A REASONABLE PLAY... U LED OUT WIV AN ADEQUATE RAISE PRE.. GOT RERAISED ALL IN... AND KNOWING THE PLAYER THAT U R DID U WANT TO RISK UR 3 HOUR GRIND JUST ON ACE HIGH... ??? I KNOW I WOULDNT.... GOOD FOLD;-)
    Posted by jimbo31
    LOL Unfortunately I ended up risking my tourney life on K high.......but that's another story!!

Thanks for feedback so far - great to get lots of different opinions :)
  • edited August 2009
    AK + 15bb's + 4 handed = easy call.

People keep saying it is only ace high which it is but AK is massive, especially in this situation, i don't see how you can fold this. If you thought you were racing you have to call because you are shortstacked and with the money already in the pot it is definitely +EV to call.
  • edited August 2009

Have to say I agree here, it's an insta call/shove for me. If I was willing to fold it, probably would not have rasied so much at the start, may have even flat called if I was willing to fold it and see what the flop brings, a good flop means I can take potentially a lot of money, bad flop and Ic an fold no problem.

But if I raise that much I am calling an all in - given how late it was in the tourney, I'm ok with racing here.

• edited August 2009
    ak 4 handed with 15bb is the nuts. Youre not gonna win if your scared to get your money in there.
  • edited August 2009
    Rofl dont listen to whoever says AK is bad because it is "only" A-High preflop.There's 5 cards to come preflop making AK extremely strong.

In addition to this, "Exactly what offshoot said."
  • edited August 2009
    If I had not shoved, and raised the amount you did, I would be prayimg for someone to come over the top and put me all in. Thats how big AK is here.  But I expect you know that by now  ;)
  • edited August 2009
    Instant fold.

You probably have the best hand but the ladder principle comes in here. On the final table with 4 left, you just don't take on the big stack. Even if he holds 23 you are only a 61% chance; if he has a pocket pair (likely) then you're an underdog.
    Overall, this is not a nice position to be in so don't get into it. A question to ask yourself - if another opponent was in this predicament and faced this decision, would you be happy? I think you would.
    Clear fold in my book.

Though in the heat of battle I'd probably call!
  • edited August 2009

assuming you are in the tournament to win it, for me you made th right play.

people too often over-value AK and forget that YOU STILL NEED TO HIT! the last thing you want here is to have all your chips at stake, lose, and your back making another brew. you gave yourself tat extra chance to make it to the end by not risking your chips in a situation that could be bettered, or if not bettered, you could find a situation that was more under your control to make a move.

Oli

• edited August 2009
    If you want to win then you call, if you want to finish a place higher you fold. AK in this situation is a monster and there is no way AQ suited isn't doing this to you.