You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Setting up a Friendly Home Game

edited October 2010 in Poker Chat
Hi Guys,

On 13th November, me and a few mates are going to re-live our youth with a home game of poker and some boxing on the tv with a few beers. Back in the good old days we used to play with our coppers until the early hours, with only a basic understanding of the game and we would switch from poker, to brag to blackjack.

However, there will be about 6 of us in a couple of weeks time and we want more of a proper game, so whats the best way to do it. We dont want anything too highstakers, maybe £10 or £20 each as we are all mates. But is it best to play a non stop 5p 10p cash game with a maximum buy in of £20, or would a load of sit and goes be better? If so, how do you work the clock with the blinds going up as obviously there will be less hands than an online game so a 5 min clokc wont work. However, with a longer structure if someone is knocked out early they will be waiting a while for the next game.

As much help and adivce would be great. Thanks

Comments

• edited October 2010
    Have fun,i and my partner luv doing this and i would go for a cash game,enjoy and the best of luck,xxx
  • edited October 2010

We increase the blinds with each elimination.

• edited October 2010
    Yeah, i thought cash would be best, do you actualy use cash or eveyone buy chips at the start then cash in at the end?
  • edited October 2010
    Trouble is Mr Miyagi, we dont really want people sitting aroudn for hours waiting for the next game. So I was thinking cash was best so there is a good chance everyoen can stay in for the duration. Then if they do but our maybe re-buy in again at a tenner a pop??
  • edited October 2010
    hi cobbler i also run home games and what i do is have two tables one for a sit n go and the other for a cash table so if players go out they can jump on the cash table while waiting for others to finish as for time for your sit n go have two packs of cards shuffle both then use one pack as soon as 1st hand is over the second pack is already shuffled and while being dealt next hand someone can shuffle the other pack so its ready straight after the hand
    i also have a poker timer have the player decision time at 30 seconds unless someone announces a big call then give each player a time bank of 30 seconds

gl in your game
  • edited October 2010
    If you have them use real chips,thats what we do