You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Newbie questions for pre-flop situations

edited October 2010 in The Poker Clinic

Hi,

I am a new player to Sky Poker and not played for long.

Just got a few questions to hopefully help with my play.

1)  I am still a bit lost of what to do with the cards I am dealt with pre-flop and whether to call / fold or raise.........This is mainly in the context of the pocket cards.  I thought I read or heard someone saying that with low pocket cards need to bet big pre-flop? 

2)  With regards to the likes of AA/KK/QQ/JJ/10-10, what should be calling /raising or should I be going AI on pre flop??  Do I just try to win it pre-flop or am I trying to lure people in so they call me to so I can get more chips from them??

3)  Also the other combinations of picture cards and with the ACE - AK/AQ/AJ/KQ/KJ/QJ etc???

4)  What about cards like a Ace or picture card with a numbered card, are these just a FOLD situation?

I have a few more that i encountered during my last few games but I have forgot what i wanted to ask now so i will be back:)

Sorry for the newbie questions but sometimes the opening is always a bit dodgy for me.

I must be doing something right tho as since I joined a few days ago I have come around 50/122, 61/113 and my best one the other nights in the £100GTD I came 15/100 and then only lost out on AI on the river:(
Also I have been doing the 0.02/0.04 cash games and so far I am up by £14.10, won and 2nd in a DYM. 

So overall I am pleased for my first few days progress  but a long way to go.

Thanks in advnace for reading

Dave

Comments

• edited October 2010
    hi welcome to the forum. I would reccomend getting a poker book/guide to help u begin your poker Mr mendelsons Big Book of poker is a good 1 and u will find it in waterstones.

Anyway il have a crack at offering u some advice.
    As your new i would advise never to limp in pre flop with anything even if ur making up the blinds fold or raise.
    Set yourself a range of cards to play i would reccomend anything from Ten Ten upwards in any combination and all pocket pairs.

If ur raising pre vary the size of ur raise but not on the strength of ur cards just keep changing it according to posistion and keep ur opponents guessing. Be more aggressive when playing on the button but not too aggro.
    Dont bluff ever at NL4 (2p 4p)
    Pocket pairs below 10 raise pre or call a raise pre if ur cards are over the board play aggro if there under the board i.e pocket 2's and all cards 3 and up then just fold them dont pay to hit sets on turn and river.

If u find u have cards like K J or KT AT AJ and most pocket pairs below tens and there has been a raise and re raise before ur turn to act pre flop consider folding as ur more than likely miles behind here.
    Dont limp with aces or kings its better to win a small pot than lose a big one!!
    The more u play the more moves, tricks and bluffs u can bring into ur game
    Keep posting on the forum ur hands and take all advice offered as there will be varying opinions all the time.
    And finally make notes on all ur opponents of how they play (tight aggro) and spend a bit of time watching ur table before u sit down so u know u will be able to play ur game at that table.
    GL at the tables
  • edited October 2010
    Thanks for the reply, just a few queries below

As your new i would advise never to limp in pre flop with anything even if ur making up the blinds fold or raise. what type of chips do you class as limping in

Pocket pairs below 10 raise pre or call a raise pre if ur cards are over the board play aggro if there under the board i.e pocket 2's and all cards 3 and up then just fold them dont pay to hit sets on turn and river.
    Please can u elaborate on this, over the board / under the board?

Dont limp with aces or kings its better to win a small pot than lose a big one!!
    What is a good raise for this?

Could please help me a bit more with postion of play and examples.

• edited October 2010
    Limping in - Just flat calling the blinds.

also i see you play NL4 (2p/4p) this is a very good  area for learning the fundamentals of Poker. If you need advice there is a number of very good guides kicking around ill see if i can find a link.