You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

How old are you?

edited November 2010 in The Shed
Someone asked the other day, 'What was your favourite 'fast food' when you were growing up?'
'We didn't have fast food when I was growing up,' I informed him.
'All the food was slow.'
'C'mon, seriously.. Where did you eat?'
'It was a place called 'home,'' I explained. !
'Mum cooked every day and when Dad got home from work, we sat down together at the dining room table, and if I didn't like what she put on my plate, I was allowed to sit there until I did like it.'

By this time, the lad was laughing so hard I was afraid he was going to suffer serious internal damage, so I didn't tell him the part about how I had to have permission to leave the table.

But here are some other things I would have told him about my childhood if I'd figured his system could have handled it:

Some parents NEVER owned their own house, wore jeans, set foot on a golf course, travelled out of the country or had a credit card.

My parents never drove me to school. I had a bicycle that weighed probably 50 pounds, and only had one speed, (slow).

We didn't have a television in our house until I was 10.
It was, of course, black and white, and the station went off the air at 10 pm, after playing the national anthem and epilogue; it came back on the air at about 6 a.m. and there was usually a locally produced news and farm show on, featuring local people...

I never had a telephone in my room. The only phone was on a party line. Before you could dial, you had to listen and make sure some people you didn't know weren't already using the line.

Pizzas were not delivered to our home... But milk was.

All newspapers were delivered by boys and all boys delivered newspapers --My brother delivered a newspaper, seven days a week. He had to get up at 6AM every morning.

Film stars kissed with their mouths shut. At least, they did in the films. There were no movie ratings because all movies were responsibly produced for everyone to enjoy viewing, without profanity or violence or almost anything offensive.

If you grew up in a generation before there was fast food, you may want to share some of these memories with your children or grandchildren. Just don't blame me if they bust a gut laughing.
Growing up isn't what it used to be, is it?

MEMORIES from a friend:
My Dad is cleaning out my grandmother' s house (she died in December) and he brought me an old Royal Crown Cola bottle. In the bottle top was a stopper with a bunch of holes in it... I knew immediately what it was, but my daughter had no idea. She thought they had tried to make it a salt shaker or something. I knew it as the bottle that sat on the end of the ironing board to 'sprinkle' clothes with because we didn't have steam irons. Man, I am old.

How many do you remember?
Headlight dip-switches on the floor of the car.
Ignition switches on the dashboard.
Trouser leg clips for bicycles without chain guards.
Soldering irons you heated on a gas burner.
Using hand signals for cars without turn indicators.
/>
Older Than Dirt Quiz:
Count all the ones that you remember, not the ones you were told about.
Ratings at the bottom.

1. Sweet cigarettes
2. Coffee shops with juke boxes
3. Home milk delivery in glass bottles
4. Party lines on the telephone
5. Newsreels before the movie
6. TV test patterns that came on at night after the last show and were there until TV shows started again in the morning.. (There were only 2 channels [if you were fortunate] and they were in black and white)
7. Peashooters
8. 33 rpm records
9. 45 RPM records
10.78 RPM records
11. Hi-fi's
12. Metal ice trays with levers
13. Blue flashbulb
14. Cork popguns
15. Wash tub wringers

I must be 'positively ancient' but those memories are some of the best parts of my life.

Don't forget to pass this along!!
Especially to all your really OLD friends... I just did!!!!!!!!!

(PS. I used a large type face so you could read it easily)

Comments

• edited October 2010
    luxury...when i were a lad....me missus just read this thread with me now shes depressed
  • edited October 2010
    That was close just made  the 7-11 bracket.
  • edited October 2010
    LOL at sweet ciggies and wash tub wringers.....Quality.

AND PROPER PMSL AT SUNDERLAND.
  • edited October 2010
    BEING TERRIFIED OF OUR SCHOOL HEADMASTER,I CAN STILL SEE THAT CANE TODAY,6 WACKS ACROSS THE HAND ,JUST FOR TALKING IN CLASS.
  • edited October 2010
    yeap  im  the 7 11 bracket
  • edited October 2010
    I'm in the 12-15 section........ ANCIENT.
  • edited October 2010

other memories that this thread started

remember having to use the CHOKE to start a car!!!
    my dad had not only no credit cards, he had no bank account
    milk stored in cold water to last over christmas as we had no fridge
    never having to lock the outside door
    knowing everyone in your street

could go on but need to go and lock up...................

btw 7 - 11
  • edited October 2010
    OMG...12!!!
    I blame my parents being soooooo old fashioned!
  • edited November 2010
    i`m as old as i can feel ? at my age i`m happy ?
  • edited November 2010
    Sorry i wanted to do this and not to rub it in!

1. Sweet cigarettes- Yes
    2. Coffee shops with juke boxes- No
    3. Home milk delivery in glass bottles- Not at home but does work count? 
    4. Party lines on the telephone- lol never heard of this must have been fun hence party name
    5. Newsreels before the movie - Ermmm dont think so
    6. TV test patterns that came on at night after the last show and were there until TV shows started again in the morning.. (There were only 2 channels [if you were fortunate] and they were in black and white) I dont think so at least not in black and white
    7. Peashooters - No
    8. 33 rpm records-No
    9. 45 RPM records- No
    10.78 RPM records- No
    11. Hi-fi's- Yeaha
    12. Metal ice trays with levers- No
    13. Blue flashbulb- No
    14. Cork popguns - Eh?
    15. Wash tub wringers 
    NO

2 STILL A WIPPA SNAPPER ME 23 :P
  • edited November 2010
     i think the only 1 i dont rememeber is the news reel befor the movie are you refairing to at the pictures
     now called multy screen cinema because if you are thats why i dont remember it going to the pictures
     was a treat . i dont recall ever having. but i do remember people talking about that one.
  • edited November 2010
    wages paid weekly in a pay packet
    Teachers using chalk
    pubs closing at 3pm and re opening at 7pm
    those sky blue disability cars
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: How old are you?:
    wages paid weekly in a pay packet Teachers using chalk pubs closing at 3pm and re opening at 7pm those sky blue disability cars
    Posted by loonytoons

Brilliant ........... I remember going to the local electrical shop to get the accumulator exchanged to keep the ''wireless'' running - but I was very very young. Tikay and Dollie will remember that one better than me, I'm sure.

How about

Coltsfoot rock
    Those ''wooden'' liquorice sticks
    Bob-a-Job day
    The off-licence-sales door at the local pub
    Foggy nights throughout the whole of November
    Muffin the Mule, Spotty Dog and the Woodentops
  • edited November 2010
    Cars where the indicators flipped out from the side of the car like long fingers. Also, running boards and wooden side panels on my grandads car. Changing the channel on the tv with the Rediffusion box on the window sill. Turning the tv on 2 mins before the programme started so it could warm up.
    Threepenny bits, Pennies as big as your hand. Trick or treating and making your own costume. Christmas actually starting in December and meaning something to everybody.
    Another 7 - 11 here.
  • edited November 2010
    Cars where the indicators flipped out from the side of the car like long fingers. Also, running boards and wooden side panels on my grandads car. Changing the channel on the tv with the Rediffusion box on the window sill. Turning the tv on 2 mins before the programme started so it could warm up. Threepenny bits, tuppence's as big as your hand. Trick or treating and making your own costume. Christmas actually starting in December and meaning something to everybody. Another 7 - 11 here.
    Posted by labrat64

Think that should be pennies as big as your hand .......... but I know what you mean :o)
  • edited November 2010
    I DONT WONT ANYTHING TO DO WITH THIS  FRED, IM MUCH TO YOUUNG,PLEAASSE KEEP COMNET,S OR STARRT   A NEW TRED FOR US YOUND ONE,S , WONT IS WONG  WITH BEING YOUNNG,MONEY AND DADDDY LOUK AFTER ME, OK INNIT
  • edited November 2010

I WONT ALL THE BEST TOY,S FOR XMAS IF I DONT G ET  THEM YOUR ALL IN TROUBLE SO THERE NOW YOU HAVE BEEN TOLD , AND IT BETTER SNOW  BEFORE XAMAS  DAY  XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.IVE BEEN GOOD AND SENT MY LETTER  TO SANTA, I ONLY WANT A BARBIE DOLL XXXX.LOVE YOU ALL

• edited November 2010
     NOOOOOO don't remember any of that.  You must have been asleep for one hundred years. Rip Van Dog
    Posted by logdon
    LOL

I remember Farthings ( a Farthing was one quarter of one penny) and Florins ( two shilling pieces) and Half Crowns (a two shillings and sixpence piece) Ten Bob Notes (ten shilling notes - were a lovely red colour) and I remember seeing some White Fivers that were as big as a tablecloth.
  • edited November 2010
    ONLY JOKING XXX
  • edited November 2010
    ONLY JOKING XXX
  • edited November 2010
    Remember when :-
    everyone did the pools
    Green pound notes
    fuel was in gallons and it wasnt diy
    free babysham in clubs for the ladies(and sometimes free entry)
    Whats an interpreter?
    Whats health and safety?
    we made go carts out of a box, plank and old pram wheels
  • edited November 2010
    Crisp green £1 notes FTW i remember once having maybe £13 in crisp £ notes around my 10th birthday and thinking i was the richest person of my age in the world! Petrol in gallons! my poppa's stag used to take 5 star petrol and i think 3 star was an alternative?
  • edited November 2010
    Green Shield Stamps, the original way to save for christmas!!!
  • edited November 2010
    There are perks for those of a certain age who scored in the higher brackets in this test ........

01... Kidnappers are not very interested in you.
    02... In a hostage situation you are likely to be released first.
    03... No one expects you to run--anywhere.
    04... People call at 9 pm and ask, did I wake you?
    05... People no longer view you as a hypochondriac.
    06... There is nothing left to learn the hard way.
    07... Things you buy now won't wear out.
    08... You can eat supper at 4 pm.
    09... You can live without sex but not your glasses.
    10... You get into heated arguments about pension plans.
    11... You no longer think of speed limits as a challenge.
    12... You quit trying to hold your stomach in no matter who walks into the room.
    13... You sing along with elevator music.
    14... Your eyes won't get much worse.
    15... Your investment in health insurance is finally beginning to pay off.
    16... Your joints are more accurate meteorologists than the national weather service.
    17... Your secrets are safe with your friends because they can't remember them either.
    18... Your supply of brain cells is finally down to manageable size.

And Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.