You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Good reasons for Donk betting.

edited November 2010 in The Poker Clinic
  This is a hand that perfectly illustrates why when you hit the flop big you should bet out and not rely on the preflop raiser to do the work for you especially in such a volatile game as omaha.

Comments

• edited November 2010
    noviceplay Small blind   £0.02 £0.02 £0.67
    non donk
    Big blind   £0.04 £0.06 £5.51
      Your hole cards
    • A

susan1968 Fold        
    Talon Raise   £0.12 £0.18 £4.81
    noviceplay Call   £0.10 £0.28 £0.57
    non donk
    Call   £0.08 £0.36 £5.43
    Flop

• K

noviceplay Check        
    non donk
    Check        
    Talon Check        
    Turn

noviceplay Check        
    non donk
    Bet   £0.27 £0.63 £5.16
    Talon Call   £0.27 £0.90 £4.54
    noviceplay Fold        
    River

non donk
    Check        
    Talon Bet   £0.90 £1.80 £3.64
    non donk
    Call   £0.90 £2.70 £4.26
    Talon Show
    • A

non donk
    Show
    • K

Talon Win Four 6s £2.50   £6.14
  • edited November 2010
    Maybe, but think flopping the fullhouse I'd have checked the flop to you as well. You had to hit pretty runner runner, and were up the creek other than a bit of luck. If he donk bets the flop then sure he may win te pot there (assuming you don't call it). and think he wanted a bit more than just taking it on the flop and can't overly blame him.

There are definately flops I'll donk bet in holdem or Omaha, but think on this one I'd have checked. Kind of would depend though on what I'd seen of your play, and if you tendedt to Cbet fairly consistantly or not.
  • edited November 2010
    we should donk bet when we only lose to 1combo because villain might backdoor quads???

you also missed out a name change on the flop
  • edited November 2010
    I was always wanting a good reason for hold em, but the donk bet is something i use alot in omaha.

NH mate
  • edited November 2010
      For me there are two main reasons for the donk bet here. Firstly i think the player can be fairly certain to be ahead and you should bet when ahead. Secondly if you feel that you are ahead then what you want to be doing is building the pot to make sure you take down as big a pot as possible when you are massive. Any bet will also remove any bad draws from playing the hand including the unlikely backdoor quads. My default setting is that i would rather win a small pot with aggression than lose a big one through passivity.

In omaha the nuts are only temporary and you should always bet when you have the best hand or think that you are ahead so as to take away the chance of being outdrawn.
  • edited November 2010
    tad results orientated maybe?

if the river bricks maybe we don't see this post and villain wins a nice lil pot

and if i ever start betting to protect my hand against backdoor quads i'm giving up
  • edited November 2010

lol, il explain why i played the hand that way..i prob should have folded pre as my hand is pretty poo however i decide to call. flop is good but you did raise pre so rather than bet im happy to check and see what you do with postion on me  ( i prob show you to much respect here as havnt played you before but you seem to talk a good game on the forum, but with the raise pre i cant discount KKxx as your hand) you dont bet so pretty sure im ahead. turn is good/bad for you as now you have a hand to chase i make 3/4 pot bet you call which is fine river cames and completes your hand, again im giving you respect from what i have read on the forums a check/call is fine from me there as you can never be sure in omaha unless you have the nuts. thing is talon i dont think i played the hand badly, nor do i think you did but you do seem to be getting rather excited about hitting your 1 out on the river. i could have lost alot more in that hand on the river...

• edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: Good reasons for Donk betting.:
      For me there are two main reasons for the donk bet here. Firstly i think the player can be fairly certain to be ahead and you should bet when ahead. Secondly if you feel that you are ahead then what you want to be doing is building the pot to make sure you take down as big a pot as possible when you are massive. Any bet will also remove any bad draws from playing the hand including the unlikely backdoor quads. My default setting is that i would rather win a small pot with aggression than lose a big one through passivity.  In omaha the nuts are only temporary and you should always bet when you have the best hand or think that you are ahead so as to take away the chance of being outdrawn.
    Posted by Talon
    i did bet when i thought i had the best hand, do you always donk bet when you have the 2nd nut hand on flop?? i still think your reading to much into this hand, not sure why tho.
  • edited November 2010
    burnshurtz you should definately be betting the river for value
  • edited November 2010
    burnshurtz you should definately be betting the river for value
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    i agree. somtimes you dont do the things you should when you should but thats life, as i said above this hand was played me not knowing how talon plays. he posts alot of answers to questions regarding omaha and has a good understanding of the game so until ive played enough hands aginst him to see what cards he plays i will take each hand as it goes. this hand could of either won me a small amount, lost me a small amount or cost me all my chips. would he have folded to a bet on flop? maybe not.
  • edited November 2010
     My main point is not the fact that i got lucky and hit runner runner miracle cards but the fact that all redraws need to be considered. KK is the obvious scare cards to be worried about on the flop.But by checking with that hand the odds are given to anyone holding TT JJ QQ and AA and even A9 which all have a chance of outdrawing on that board.

For what it is worth the flop gave me no hand and no realistic draw and so i would have insta folded to any sensible flop bet. Once you had checked the flop you played the hand as perfectly as possible and lost the absolute minimum when your opponent got amazingly lucky. But the main thing is just about the flop action.If you fire out your turn bet on the flop then you immediately find out where you are and are capable of laying down to a big reraise if you suspect KK.

You will also realise what many others have learnt to their benefit.That although my knowledge of the game is very good my ability to play is lagging far behind.

I apologise for accidently leaving your name in the original post and if you feel that my comments are aimed at you. My main reason for this thread was to highlight betting out as a very good move in this type of circumstance and to stay away from slowplaying any hands.
  • edited November 2010

come and fill my PLO4 table up been waiting ages!!!!
  • edited November 2010
     My main point is not the fact that i got lucky and hit runner runner miracle cards but the fact that all redraws need to be considered. KK is the obvious scare cards to be worried about on the flop.But by checking with that hand the odds are given to anyone holding TT JJ QQ and AA and even A9 which all have a chance of outdrawing on that board.   For what it is worth the flop gave me no hand and no realistic draw and so i would have insta folded to any sensible flop bet. Once you had checked the flop you played the hand as perfectly as possible and lost the absolute minimum when your opponent got amazingly lucky. But the main thing is just about the flop action.If you fire out your turn bet on the flop then you immediately find out where you are and are capable of laying down to a big reraise if you suspect KK.   You will also realise what many others have learnt to their benefit.That although my knowledge of the game is very good my ability to play is lagging far behind.   I apologise for accidently leaving your name in the original post and if you feel that my comments are aimed at you. My main reason for this thread was to highlight betting out as a very good move in this type of circumstance and to stay away from slowplaying any hands.
    Posted by Talon
    and i agree with what you said, im just making my reasons as to why i played this hand in this particular way.
    i now know not to let you get to the river...lol