You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Bluergh....correct way to play my set

edited November 2010 in The Poker Clinic
ok so I got what i wanted on the turn, being he called when behind..........sick sick sick - he had lots of outs i suppose.....grrrrrrr. anyway, analysis and advice please on if the hand was played correctly, should I have shoved?

Why am I always losing a full buy in to these small hands when i have a set? I need to know as a big leak in my game, so as critical as poss please.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
SHARON1166 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £0.51
Avro Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £3.96
  Your hole cards
  • J
  • J

Villan Call  £0.04 £0.10 £3.10
Seagull158 Call  £0.04 £0.14 £4.80
tapeworm Raise  £0.28 £0.42 £5.38
SHARON1166 Fold     
Avro Fold     
VillanCall  £0.24 £0.66 £2.86
Seagull158 Fold     
Flop

• J

VillanCheck     
tapeworm Bet  £0.50 £1.16 £4.88
villanCall  £0.50 £1.66 £2.36
Turn

• K

Villan Check     
tapeworm All-in  £4.88 £6.54 £0.00
Villan All-in  £2.36 £8.90 £0.00
tapeworm Unmatched bet  £2.52 £6.38 £2.52
Villan Show

tapeworm Show
  • J
  • J

River

• A

Villan Win Straight to the 5 £5.91

Comments

• edited November 2010
    I personally don't think you did much wrong, the only thing bad about this hand is the pre-flop call with 2-4 suited  but people do call with anything at this level.

I think even if the turn bet is smaller and flat called all the money is still going in on the river, you were just very unlucky..
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Bluergh....correct way to play my set:
    As a rule if people make a habit of calling 7 x bb  pre-flop raise with 2-4 either s or not then it's probably -ev.
    Sometimes they do tho. What you supposed to do ?
    I don't think the answer is not play them.
    It's weird. A lot of queries posted on here seem to revolve around what do i do if people make speculative and dubious calls then hit ? Just part of the game man. What would the forum look like if all the people posted with their hands when these people missed or didn't suck out ? Pretty congested as a rule maybe ?
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: Bluergh....correct way to play my set:
    In Response to Bluergh....correct way to play my set : As a rule if people make a habit of calling 7 x bb  pre-flop raise with 2-4 either s or not then it's probably -ev. Sometimes they do tho. What you supposed to do ? I don't think the answer is not play them. It's weird. A lot of queries posted on here seem to revolve around what do i do if people make speculative and dubious calls then hit ? Just part of the game man. What would the forum look like if all the people posted with their hands when these people missed or didn't suck out ? Pretty congested as a rule maybe ?
    Posted by shelski
    Hi Shelski,

Thanks for the reply. But just to be clear im not complaining about him hitting, thats the way it goes sometimes, and like i said he had loads of outs, so not a horrendous call. just want to know if the shove was correct or should i pot it, cause in most hands im cashing here, so want to know if whats the optimum play for future?
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: Bluergh....correct way to play my set:
    His/her/its loads outs add up to calling a shove on the turn when they are a 29.55 % favourite. You did everyting perfectly man. I use texas hold'em odds calculator ( free to use and no download, just google it man to review some of your hands ) Maybe check this resource out ? i find it useful.
    i am no expert btw. or a maths meister, that's why i use it.
    P.S- do what you did relentlessly over and over again, like a machine. Gl in fute
  • edited November 2010
    you played it fine, getting it in with the 2nd nuts is not a leak at nl4