You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Multi-tabling for beginners

edited November 2010 in The Poker Clinic
I've had a couple of practice goes at playing 2 tables where one doesn't matter that much to me, normally where one's a freeroll. Last night I tried the 7.15 deepstack and the Tikay, both of which I enjoy playing.

When the Tikay fired up I really struggled with playing both, and all my previous good play in the deepstack went to pot in one hand. Annoyingly I'd probably played my best poker to date up until then.

I got some advice from Maxally in the chatbox and put 1 in mini view which helped, but how should I set the tables up on screen to be able to manage more successful multi-tabling? Any other tips? Does it just need practice?

Comments

• edited November 2010
    Well, I would put both in miniview, one next to the other.  That automatically takes the chat distraction away, and its less distance your eyes have to move when checking the action back and forth.  Rotate your seat positions as well, so you are either sitting in the same position on both tables, or, on your left hand table, sit in the far right position, and in the right hand table, you sit in the far left position.  So you are basically right next to yourself.  Again this limits how far your eyes have to wonder.  I know it sounds daft but this will matter, esp if you start adding more tables.
  • edited November 2010
    +1 to above. Side by side is best, and if you are new to playing more than one table its always best to forget chatting while adjusting to it. You will find you will make the adjustment to playing just 2 tables pretty quick though, as its really not that much more data to work with.

Think the best rule with multtabling is how solid your game is. If you require lot of thinking time normally at one table due to the game not being mega natural yet then increasing tables can be tougher. Still 2 tables shouldn't fry your brain to much, its just getting used to it. Then adding tables slowly after that if you want to play more. If you get to that stage then you have to start looking at your win/loss to amount of tables being played to find out where your performance really starts to be effected.
  • edited November 2010
    i cascade them full when playing up to 3, place them over each other so can easily change which one and i can chat go me! although obviously chat isnt recommended for beginners :P
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: Multi-tabling for beginners:
    Well, I would put both in miniview, one next to the other.  That automatically takes the chat distraction away, and its less distance your eyes have to move when checking the action back and forth.  Rotate your seat positions as well, so you are either sitting in the same position on both tables, or, on your left hand table, sit in the far right position, and in the right hand table, you sit in the far left position.  So you are basically right next to yourself.  Again this limits how far your eyes have to wonder.  I know it sounds daft but this will matter, esp if you start adding more tables.
    Posted by OMahonyO
    Hi guys
    I'm starting to multi table too.
    Might be obvious but how do you rotate your seat positions?
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Multi-tabling for beginners:
    Interesting post. I can multi 10 at cash but 8 is comfortable. 6 for drunk. Takes a while to get used to but once you do np.
    However i was mt'ing 4 tourneys the other day ( 1 omaha ) across sites and because each tourney was at a different stage actually found it really difficult. I couldn't handle it because i was MAINLY focussed on the tourney i was deepest  in, then next etc. So blinded out the others a bit.
    Surprised me to be fair A totally different discipline i hadn't anticipated
    Yep hard work.
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: Multi-tabling for beginners : Hi guys I'm starting to multi table too. Might be obvious but how do you rotate your seat positions?
    Posted by walesboy
    The trouble on Sky is that they don't have the always sit me here option unless i missed it ? Any help folks ?
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: Multi-tabling for beginners : In Response to Re: Multi-tabling for beginners : Hi guys I'm starting to multi table too. Might be obvious but how do you rotate your seat positions? Posted by walesboy
    The trouble on Sky is that they don't have the always sit me here option unless i missed it ? Any help folks ?
    Posted by shelski

Click at the top right of the table to move your seat. 

ala

Bottom middle ftw.
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: Multi-tabling for beginners : The trouble on Sky is that they don't have the always sit me here option unless i missed it ? Any help folks ? Posted by shelski
    Click at the top right of the table to move your seat.  ala http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/5040/moveseat.jpg Bottom middle ftw.
    Posted by beaneh

haha how ironic, Bottom middle is my fav multi table seat too. Although your far better at it than me, since i came back to online play ive struggled any more than 2 tables, i was doing 4-6 tables no problem before.
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: Multi-tabling for beginners : Click at the top right of the table to move your seat.  ala http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/5040/moveseat.jpg Bottom middle ftw. Posted by beaneh
    haha how ironic, Bottom middle is my fav multi table seat too. Although your far better at it than me, since i came back to online play ive struggled any more than 2 tables, i was doing 4-6 tables no problem before.
    Posted by The_Don90
    I'm a bottom left man now. My gf likes it that way too, no coincidence. But some chicks i've met were very different
    I love playing cards lol.
  • edited November 2010
    if i can be bothered im middle bottom unless multitabling then depends on which is easier