You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

How was my play (Omaha)?

edited November 2010 in The Poker Clinic
I won the pot, but I was just considering my play in this hand.

Comments

• edited November 2010

Hand History #304207647 (00:58 03/11/2010)

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    DREAMHUNTE Small blind  £0.50 £0.50 £27.30
    Ghoti Big blind  £1.00 £1.50 £99.00
      Your hole cards
    • J
    • K

Tooned Raise  £2.00 £3.50 £114.43
    goodylad21 Raise  £7.50 £11.00 £113.69
    DREAMHUNTE Fold     
    Ghoti Call  £6.50 £17.50 £92.50
    Tooned Call  £5.50 £23.00 £108.93
    Flop

• J

Ghoti Check     
    Tooned Check     
    goodylad21 Bet  £17.25 £40.25 £96.44
    Ghoti Call  £17.25 £57.50 £75.25
    Tooned Call  £17.25 £74.75 £91.68
    Turn

Ghoti Check     
    Tooned Bet  £28.00 £102.75 £63.68
    goodylad21 Call  £28.00 £130.75 £68.44
    Ghoti Call  £28.00 £158.75 £47.25
    River

Ghoti Check     
    Tooned Check     
    goodylad21 All-in  £68.44 £227.19 £0.00
    Ghoti Fold     
    Tooned All-in  £63.68 £290.87 £0.00
    goodylad21 Unmatched bet  £4.76 £286.11 £4.76
    Tooned Show
    • J
    • K

goodylad21 Show
    • J
    • Q
    • Q

Tooned Win Two Pairs, Jacks and 5s £285.21
  • edited November 2010
    i dont play much omaha but preflop we have a marginal hand only 1 flush draw is actually any good and still then its marginal, so we want as much FE as possible preflop, POT it instead of minraising.

i think flop might actually be a fold
    i wouldnt bet the turn myself i would be trying to get to showdown

river call seems ok since he flats the turn so most likely has some kind of a draw and only 47xx got there.

but meh im omahahaahahah fish
  • edited November 2010
    any reads on opponent who has re-raised pre? Also why the min bet?

Welcome to the clinic mate, hopefully talon sees this
  • edited November 2010
    Scrub me name out you plonker :)

Don't want everybody laughing at how bad I suck at omaha !!

FWIW i think you made two very loose calls :(
  • edited November 2010
    loose call and loose re-raise pre goody :o) be interested to know table dynamics as neither should have played as it is imo but i understand sometimes if its a gamblers table or something
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: How was my play (Omaha)?:
    loose call and loose re-raise pre goody :o) be interested to know table dynamics as neither should have played as it is imo but i understand sometimes if its a gamblers table or something
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    Well it was a VERY loose table to be honest. He was raising pot preflop pretty much every hand.
  • edited November 2010
      Ok i will go through this hand as i see it but with the reservation that i have very little history to go on so i will only base my opinion on the board and hole cards.

Preflop: You have 2 realistic nut drawing hands KJ and J9 which makes this a weak preflop holding.The fold pre is fine with this hand or even a limp. But if you are going to be aggressive preflop then raise the maximum not a pointless min raise which will just build the pot up and not remove any hands from the pot. You do not want to be playing a bad hand multiway in a big pot.When the 3-bet comes in you should be insta folding there because you have a weak holding which is unlikely to hit big.

Flop: You have top pair and a bad flush draw which on such a draw heavy board is basically nothing. Sets and 2 pairs on the flop are standard in omaha and you must consider that you are behind at this point especially as over pairs are well within the 3-betting range. For me this is an insta fold again because there is not a realistic card that could come in to ensure that you have the best hand.

Turn: your hand has improved but you are still a mile behind most holdings hereand not too far in front of anyone just on a draw. Unless you can say for absolute certain that you are just up against an overpair you are not in a good position at all.For me this is check fold or check call a weak bet.

River : your hand is a weak 2 pair on a board where the best hand is only realistically 2 pair or a set.The straight draw being unlikely to have hit anyone. So i can understand why you would call there with some showdown value albeit quite weak.

Overall i think you overplayed a really weak hand when you only got a piece of the board. Yes you won this time but if you play hands like that you will be lucky to win 1 in 10 pots. If you are on a loose table where someone is raising continually the best move is to tighten up and only play hands with 3+ nut drawing hands in them and only continue down the streets when you hit the board big or pick up a monster draw.

Sorry if this sounds overly critical but without the full history and ranges of opponents in the pot i can only comment from the angle of your cards. With reads i could change my opinions but have none to go on in this situation. Good luck at the tables and keep playing the 4 card game.
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: How was my play (Omaha)?:
    Scrub me name out you plonker :) Don't want everybody laughing at how bad I suck at omaha !! FWIW i think you made two very loose calls :(
    Posted by goodylad21
    luv ya goody ;o)
  • edited November 2010
    really badly played IMO and actually well played by goodylad just found a station.

Fold pre if not raise

Fold flop

Fold turn

Maybe call river but should never get there

How can u not put him on a set or 2 pair himself from flop (J 10)
    Nice pot to win but so lucky would seriously recommend going through talon thread on omaha cz u will lose loads playing like this