You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Sitting Tight

All the books i have read and all the info from analyst say you should sit tight at the start of a tourny. That you should only play premium hands to try and build up a tight image for later stages.

I always sit tight but i seem to find my self shortertack with only 15 to 20 BB goin into the and after the 1st break. I stay out of turbos  and play 10 min blind structure but if i dnt get a double up early on i seem to struggle.

I play fairly standard 3 or 4 time BB raise depending on postion and cards i to will fold A10, AJ and KQ to raises out of position but is this to tight?

I see other players make awful plays and get rewardedplayin A8 agaist QQ and hitting. I know this is a poor play these players seem to get big stacks early on.

Im just having a tough time with MTT at the mo and would like some idead how to build my stack up early on.

Comments

• edited August 2009

MIXING IT UP A BIT MIGHT HELP IF YOUR ONLY PLAYING PREMUIM HAND PEOPLE WILL GENERLY FOLD EVERYTIME YOU TRY TO MAKE A MOVE. BEING FOLDED OF HANDS EARLY ISNT GREAT BUT WILL HELP YOU TO GET BETTER RETURNS WHEN YOU DO HIT A HAND. WHAT £ BUY INS R U PLAYING

• edited August 2009
     I normally on play mirco limit up tp £5, within my bankroll
  • edited August 2009
    SORRY WAS EDITING MY FIRST POST WHEN YOU ANSWERED IT. ALSO RAILING A FEW  TABLES MIGHT HELP YOU TO GET A FEW IDEAS. DONT BOTHER TRYING TO ANALISE ANYTHING WITH  £2 OR £1 BUY IN MOST OF THE PLAYERS OF THESE ALL IN EVERYTIME THE HIT TOP PAIR.
  • edited August 2009
    In Response to Re: Sitting Tight:
    SORRY WAS EDITING MY FIRST POST WHEN YOU ANSWERED IT. ALSO RAILING A FEW  TABLES MIGHT HELP YOU TO GET A FEW IDEAS. DONT BOTHER TRYING TO ANALISE ANYTHING WITH  £2 OR £1 BUY IN MOST OF THE PLAYERS OF THESE ALL IN EVERYTIME THE HIT TOP PAIR.
    Posted by BADBOY985
    This is true its realy fustrating it is an all in donk fest with any ace, but thats why i try and sit tight and keep clear of the madness. I play with in my bankroll so i can only play small level buyins.
  • edited August 2009
    I ONLY PLAY WITH SMALL BANKROLL BUT WOULD RECOMEND THE £3 DEEPSTACKS ALSO I PLAY SOME SMALL D/STACK TOURNEYS £2 INS  USUALLY THERE I 6/12 PLAYERS SO I USE THEM AS MY OWN SATELLITE TO BIGGER BUY INS.I TRY TO AVOID ANY TOURNYS THAT START WITH LESS THAN 2000 CHIPS TO START AS THESE CAN BE DIFICULT TO GET BACK INTO IF YOU DO HAVE TO FOLD AWAY SOME HANDS