You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Who would find a fold?

edited November 2010 in The Poker Clinic
I have a little scenario here in which I have found myself losing chips in. Some in cash games, some in tournaments.

ACE QUEEN I call a 3/4 times big blind raise from the hijack seat. 2 men to the flop

Board falls QUEEN HIGH - NO IMMEDIATE FLUSH OR STRAIGHT DRAW

I raise big - he goes all in for roughly 2 and a half/3 times that. Though my conscience tells me 'you are behind', I just cannot find the fold. Is this just a flaw in my play or are these situations just ones where you have to bite the bullet and just hope he hasn't got what his bet is telling you he has.

In this example he was in a stealing position - so the possibility of a bluff was there, however, there are scenarios where the raise is from a more legitimate position pre-flop and I am still unable to find the fold.

The main culprits once the cards are flipped are Pocket Kings/Aces and bottom/middle sets.

The best I can usually hope to see is KingQueen/JackQueen or lower pockets such as 10s and Jacks

Comments

• edited November 2010
    You must be the unluckiest poker player in the game if this scenario is happening alot, it might happen the odd time that you run into an overpair or a set, but most of the time you will be well ahead & get your money in good or get a fold !!

Next Case lol
  • edited November 2010
    Folding is where the best players make their money, or at least twhere they save their money, which allows them to make money long term. It's easy to win a hand when you know you've got the best of it most likely, but harder to learn to fold.

Lot of if you fold or not is picking up some idea of the person you are up against, and how they play their big hands etc. Can depend a lot on the stakes as well, as sometimes lower stakes can have some easier reads on when you might be in trouble.

Sure, you are going to get busted out making bad calls, but there are definately some times on dangerous boards for your hand you got to go with your read/gut that if you really don't know where you are, or feel y ou have gone behind then you should fold. Hero calls are great when you are right, but so often your fears are found to be well founded and you are indeed behind.
  • edited November 2010
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Who would find a fold?:
    I have a little scenario here in which I have found myself losing chips in. Some in cash games, some in tournaments. ACE QUEEN  I call a 3/4 times big blind raise from the hijack seat. 2 men to the flop Board falls QUEEN HIGH - NO IMMEDIATE FLUSH OR STRAIGHT DRAW I raise big - he goes all in for roughly 2 and a half/3 times that. Though my conscience tells me 'you are behind', I just cannot find the fold. Is this just a flaw in my play or are these situations just ones where you have to bite the bullet and just hope he hasn't got what his bet is telling you he has. In this example he was in a stealing position - so the possibility of a bluff was there, however, there are scenarios where the raise is from a more legitimate position pre-flop and I am still unable to find the fold. The main culprits once the cards are flipped are Pocket Kings/Aces and bottom/middle sets. The best I can usually hope to see is KingQueen/JackQueen or lower pockets such as 10s and Jacks
    Posted by chaff822
    This imo revolves around your own evaluation of the strength of A-Q maybe ?
    EVERY hand has it's own particular strengths and weaknesses.
    Your instincts seem fairly well defined tho which is a very encouraging thing. You seem to be on the cusp of solving your own quandary here ? What do you think ?
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: Who would find a fold?:
    Folding is where the best players make their money, or at least twhere they save their money, which allows them to make money long term. It's easy to win a hand when you know you've got the best of it most likely, but harder to learn to fold. Lot of if you fold or not is picking up some idea of the person you are up against, and how they play their big hands etc. Can depend a lot on the stakes as well, as sometimes lower stakes can have some easier reads on when you might be in trouble. Sure, you are going to get busted out making bad calls, but there are definately some times on dangerous boards for your hand you got to go with your read/gut that if you really don't know where you are, or feel y ou have gone behind then you should fold. Hero calls are great when you are right, but so often your fears are found to be well founded and you are indeed behind.
    Posted by KAM99
    This cat knows his/her biscuits and seems to make a lot of sense to me altho i'm sure there are plenty of well-meaning, good players that may and WILL disagree.
    I reckon that you can do a lot worse than considering his/her views carefully tho and maybe go with your gut a bit too.
    There are so many players that think aggression is the answer to everything and say well it's 6-max, they would do that from that position, it's +ev so who cares etc. This offers no consolation when you make the wrong move when you know you had a better move inside you just didn't make ! Reload, gr8 :(
    Folding is good. I actually LIKE  folding a lot. Especially pre. No stress, no tricky decisions and you can watch the action and get a handle on your opponents play. They call me Mr. Origami btw ;)
  • edited November 2010
    Sounds like the guy is playing around 50bb's if hes shoving after your flop bet. The way you have played the hand you probably have to call even if you think your behind because of the odds your getting on your money!

However a few questions to ask yourself in future.
    1. If your calling a raise with AQ against a player who has around 50bb's and the board comes Q high and you don't like it... Then what are you actually hoping to connect with on the flop?
    2. In this scenario it sounds like you have donked out into the raiser. Your hand is strong but is still beat by a lot so not sure I'd be betting into the raiser. Check to him then re-evaluate. However, I do like the way you have played it, but I dont like your thought processes, if your going to play it the way you have then you have to be 100% confident your miles infront and snap call the re-raise.

When you explain a hand like that it's hard to see EXACTLY what happened, did you know you can go onto your hand history, find the particular hand and then copy and paste it onto a thread, it's easier for all to see what has happened.