You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Decorum on chat boxes

edited November 2010 in Poker Chat

Many people say that "You always have the option to turn the chat function off." As if that gives them a license to say what they like. The odd exasparated "idiot" is just venting frustration and understandable I suppose, but not some of the stuff that gets posted.

Why should we turn the chat boxes off? Sky poker is much more than a place to play poker: it's a social site, where many people come to commune with others. I've met many people on here who are very friendly: they ask how my kids are; I ask how their jobs are going; some I've even met in the 'real world'

Why should we read foul-mouthed abuse, even though it is not directed at us?

Comments

• edited June 2009

It's very simple Mr Bluster - may I call you Big?

You do NOT have to, nor should you,  put up with foul-mouthed abuse from the Chat-Box. If you see Chat that is out of line, just contact Support. Trust me, they will sort it. They operate a "Yellow Card-Red Card" system, & it works.

As you say, many of us just enjoy chilling on the Rail, that's half the attraction, & we don't need ill-mannered nincumpoops to spoil the party.

Abuse in the Chat-Box results in Chat-Bans, or worse.
  • edited June 2009
    I would like to see a report button incorporated into the poker interface whereby we can report inappropriate people and behaviour directly to support via a button click without having to remember the hand number and player names etc for later.

Personally I would never go to the trouble of reporting someone regardless of what they say - the current process is just too long and convoluted which I guess means only the most serious incidents get reported thereby stopping minor two people having a few minor words tying up support staff.

Its a tough one but, as already said, if it really does offend you don't just sit back and accept it or, worse still, reduce your Sky Poker experience because of someone else.
  • edited June 2009

Fair points Dowzer.

Note also that Chat is monitored, so it often gets picked up anyway.

But if you do Report it, you don't need the hand number - just give Support the player Alias, & roughly what time the incident occurred, & that's all they need, they can trace it back from that.
  • edited June 2009
    Agreed with you tikay. My girlfriend whom is getting into poker was playing on the playmoney tables yesterday to get the basics in her head. Only to be met by name calling (female dog etc) in the chat box. I reported to online support. It is inexcusable at any level.
  • edited June 2009
    I have to disagree with Big on one very small factor. I think it's quite legitimate to say "You have the option to turn the chat off" when people on the table complain at you for holding a conversation. There are FAR too many times where i've been talking to phil12uk, FlashFlush or others where people would tell us to "get a room" while im explaining a hand I played at my local gala the night before . We have the right to use the chat facility and since we're not abusing it we'll continue to do so whether the other people at the table like it or not.

However, I wholeheartedly agree that when people ARE abusing the chat facility, i.e through needling other players, then they DO NOT have a right to tell us to turn the chat off.
  • edited June 2009
    Agreed with you Yougun. It's a chat box to chat with! but it's definately not an abuse box.
  • edited June 2009
    I would love to see how some of these people get away with it!! Myself and Youngun were chatting before and were called all the usual stuff that he's mentiones above by a player. We both complained about the guy at that time yet when I played vs him a few days later nowt had happened and he was still the same.  If there's a yellow card system could it not be put in a corner of their avatar so everyone knows who is on a 'final warning'?  As chat is monitored the guy couldn't be provoked and it would be a constant reminder to him that he needs to watch his lip!  Perhaps a month of that would deter players from doing it again?
  • edited June 2009
    I got an email from sky chat people warning me on foul and abusive language and if it happened again I would get banned.  I was a bit peeved as had only called someone an idiot - and rightly so as he was a total idiot.  I really object to getting the email when I see people calling others the c word and all the effing and blinding that goes on in the rooms.  Definitely needs moderating closer for the real foul and abusive language.
  • edited June 2009
    I agree. 2 players I know called someone a donk and they got chat banned instantly!! How is it that calling a player 'donk' is worthy of a lengthy chat ban but going f****r is ok?????????? Definate closer moderating needed!
  • edited June 2009
    Personally i just with the chat box could keep up with fast typers.
    Or, as the sky chat would say: "psnaly I jst wi t ch box coul ke upwi fa tyes"

:)

M
  • edited June 2009
    The amount of times I have been called a Scottish ****** OR a Sheep S*****r is unreal.  I dont report them but they aint being monitered either.
  • edited June 2009
    so tempted to put my 2 cents worth in
  • edited June 2009
    I must say, I sometimes find it hilarious watching ppl abuse me/others, esp when they are being given it back. Some of the conversations Ive seen are side splitting
  • edited June 2009
    philuk im permantly banned m8
  • edited June 2009
  • edited June 2009
    Jeez. My notes on u are of being v chatty and a good bloke. What happened to change? Or was it WHO got at ya?
  • edited June 2009
    On a particular site (not here obviously) you get the usual obnoxious snotty nosed americans who try to give you what for when you beat them out of a few chips.

I used to let it get to me but now I find it pathetically funny. When you give them some back they mostly change their tack. I find that calling them 'Colonials' will have an effect. It tends to set them off on one. 50% of them will take umbrage and will play almost anything to teach the 'limey' a lesson while with the other 50% it's completely above their heads as to what you're referring to and they start asking questions about Robin Hood (i'm from Nottingham btw).

On this site I've (as yet) to come across any abuse and long may it be so.

Good luck at the tables.....
  • edited June 2009
    In Response to Re: Decorum on chat boxes:
    philuk im permantly banned m8
    Posted by Blight1
    Lol, I remember playing a satellite with you and when we got near the bubble I asked you to show your hand (when you got a walk on the BB) if you could read what we were saying in the chatbox and you did, haha that was fun.

In answer to Phil's question I'm going to guess one or two stray 'idiot's too many?
  • edited June 2009
    yeah still follow the chatbox
  • edited June 2009
    hence the show ;)
  • edited June 2009
    Some of the abuse you see in the chat box is particularly pathetic at times.  Like all players I get my fair share of bad beats and outdraws but, as it has been said many times on these pages, you just have to grin and bear it. 

One of the plusses of playing against these serial abusers is that as well as not being able to control their tempers in the chat box, they usually lose it on the table too and soon end up busting out !
  • edited June 2009
    Some of the abuse you see in the chat box is particularly pathetic at times.  Like all players I get my fair share of bad beats and outdraws but, as it has been said many times on these pages, you just have to grin and bear it.  One of the plusses of playing against these serial abusers is that as well as not being able to control their tempers in the chat box, they usually lose it on the table too and soon end up busting out !
    Posted by inka2003
    They also end up losing their Chat Privileges too, and so they should.

Poker at our level is a game, a hobby, & we play it for pleasure, not to be abused by someone hiding behind a keyboard & mouthing off. If a player got called a "donkey" in a Live Tournament, he'd be thrown out of the Tourney there & then, & almost certainly get a slap round the chops for his trouble. But of course they wouyld never do it face to face, only Online, where they feel they do not have to be accountable for their actions.

I play on the Site most nights, & I report EVERY instance of Chat-abuse I witness. It's everyone's duty so to do, & that way, we will eradicate it.
  • edited June 2009
    In Response to Re: Decorum on chat boxes : They also end up losing their Chat Privileges too, and so they should. Poker at our level is a game, a hobby, & we play it for pleasure, not to be abused by someone hiding behind a keyboard & mouthing off. If a player got called a "donkey" in a Live Tournament, he'd be thrown out of the Tourney there & then, & almost certainly get a slap round the chops for his trouble. But of course they wouyld never do it face to face, only Online, where they feel they do not have to be accountable for their actions. I play on the Site most nights, & I report EVERY instance of Chat-abuse I witness. It's everyone's duty so to do, & that way, we will eradicate it.
    Posted by Tikay10
    tk good to see your comments on bad offensive players,i reported someone the other week this site is full of lovely happy card loving people and it dosnt need little puppies being tough behind a screen wd sky keep it up
  • edited October 2010
    God, its like being back at school!

Report him now, lynch him, call the cops....

Honestly, if someone "abusing" you and I use that term lightly over the web gives you the hump then its you that needs to be reported!

Whilst I agree that abusing people over a chat box is cowardly and pathetic and is done by punters who in real life are victims of abuse in their own right, its hardly going to cause offence to someone as I imagine that we are all adults here?

• edited October 2010
    God, its like being back at school! Report him now, lynch him, call the cops.... Honestly, if someone "abusing" you and I use that term lightly over the web gives you the hump then its you that needs to be reported! Whilst I agree that abusing people over a chat box is cowardly and pathetic and is done by punters who in real life are victims of abuse in their own right, its hardly going to cause offence to someone as I imagine that we are all adults here?
    Posted by guru87
    Hey

We take chatbox abuse very seriously, as well as on the forum, yes there are people who find abusive/foul language very upsetting, and does cause offence, for this reason, we cannot condone this abuse, and does need to be reported.

Thanks for your understanding.

Sky Mod
  • edited November 2010
    Hey number 4!!!!

Thanks for the reply but honestly, if people take offence to chat box abuse then its time to call it a day.

Have you ever heard of anyone in floods of tears because the big bad bully called them a donkey?

Do what I do, if someone abuses you, offer to meet them in any nuclear sub car park in the country and we'll see who's got the bottle then.

Whilst that may seem cowardly also, I am personally willing to travel just to serve such a bell end up for being a clown.

And yes, keep the patrolling of the chat boxes going, maybe one day you'll get your own show on C4 like "coppers" apatly named "CBI: Sky Poker"

Chat Box Investigation Sky Poker
  • edited November 2010
    Guru did you get out of bed the wrong side this morning by any chance?
  • edited November 2010
    God, its like being back at school! Report him now, lynch him, call the cops.... Honestly, if someone "abusing" you and I use that term lightly over the web gives you the hump then its you that needs to be reported! Whilst I agree that abusing people over a chat box is cowardly and pathetic and is done by punters who in real life are victims of abuse in their own right, its hardly going to cause offence to someone as I imagine that we are all adults here?
    Posted by guru87
    Give guru87 a life ban. He is way too grown up for this site.