You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

how good is sky poker compared to other sites

edited November 2010 in Area 51
well if you go by numbers ... can't be that good ... not often you see more then 2,000 players seated ( 1500 on line 876 seated at time of post )  when you look at how many players there are playing on-line it's not alot.... there was more here last year when i played ...just come back for afew games see if it was any better than my last experience here
nothing much has changed and i can see why there are less players here and it hasn't grown ...

Comments

• edited November 2010

Depends who you are comparing it to really. Comparing it to the big sites like PS or FUlltilt then it's not great. it COULD be, but they would have to improve a lot to close that gap. IE more players, choices like DL (which is coming), options for rakeback prehaps, and quite a few other things that serious players might want.

Also, as you say Sky has a very limited player pool. This has its good and bad points. Low limits here are often softer than say Fulltilt. If you play 20nl here and 25NL on fulltilt its softer here (less limping reflop, more 3betting etc). Haven't played the nosebleeds here but would think there can't be huge depth of players there, and likely they must be playing same faces every day I would think based on what I see on channel 865.

Seriously though Sky has a nice trump card with the TV aspect, and if they wanted with some effort they could likely make this site pretty huge, though maybe that isn't what they want, and they like the more family feel to the community. Would think thats unlikely though as they make more money with more players, and they are a business.

• edited November 2010
    SKY POKER seems to be aimed at getting you in to the whole sky brand as u mentioned the tv channel encourages you to get sky tv which take you through the door for the whole skybet/skypoker/sky broadband and sky phone business.
    As constantly pointed out Sky poker doesnt have all the bells and whistle of bigger sites but thats why i play on here. playing on here is like going for a quite beer at your local where as ft and the others you mention are like the lound,packed busy wetherspoons in town.
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: how good is sky poker compared to other sites:
    SKY POKER seems to be aimed at getting you in to the whole sky brand as u mentioned the tv channel encourages you to get sky tv which take you through the door for the whole skybet/skypoker/sky broadband and sky phone business. As constantly pointed out Sky poker doesnt have all the bells and whistle of bigger sites but thats why i play on here. playing on here is like going for a quite beer at your local where as ft and the others you mention are like the lound,packed busy wetherspoons in town.
    Posted by BADBOY985
    Yep its a quiet pub with one beer on tap, couple of women locals (both ugly *not a reference to sky's presenters*) and an old guy with his dog in the corner. LOL

Just kidding. Nothing wrong with small. Don't think it makes much differnece once you are sat at a table. Would think the slight lack of players on sky though can make playing any time you like a bit of an issue sometimes, and certainly if you want to be multi-tabling.

Be curious to see if they intend to expand. Certainly I can see why good players would pick sky to play on, as their chances of reaching late stages of tournaments on here is I would significantly higher than on some others. Won't make much differnece to average joe player, but to the cream of a site they have less competition to fight against.
  • edited November 2010
    Personally i don't think anything i've played beats it, i love the whole communtiy aspect and the main events are top notch.
  • edited November 2010
    I'm with Kam99 on this one. The potential of Sky to become an amazing European site is practically endless with the TV channel and a community experience that can branch out into live events.
    If the people that run it are genuine poker enthusiasts and try playing on the other sites themselves to compare and contrast, realise that with bold changes to the software and its marketing whilst enacting more general poker coverage on 865 ( 24 hour dedicated, quality poker channel ) whilst retaining its close community feel that can give its customers an overall more satisfying experience, that other sites WON'T BE ABLE to compete with then, who knows ?
    In theory there is no reason why this can't be an insanely lucrative business plan for them. I assume that this was a conclusion they reached with the conception and launch of the site and would expect there to be imminent, widespread changes for the better. Then there's the advertising revenue etc. Literally the world is their oyster.
    Just an opinion mind. Megalomania ftw :)
    Btw why is this in area 51 ?
  • edited November 2010
    How good is it at what? A lot of regs have accounts all over the place but many will tell you that the cash games here are softer (a good thing) and the community is untouchable in comparrison to less involved, less community focused sites. Is it small? well in comparison to the big boys yes but that's no bad thing. Traffic is on the increase from what we are told so not sure about your statment that it was busier last year?
  • edited November 2010
    I have accounts on FT, PKR, Party Poker & Bet 888. Play small stakes and in my opinion this site is the best. hear alot of veiws on the RNG and the fact that sky rig the matches for rake........trouble is people on the forums at PKR etc say the same.....maybe they are all rigged....maybe they are all out to get us. lol.

Anyway this site has softer competition, you play the same players more - so can hunt the fish and avoid the sharks (well unless Dohhhh, DP, Shelski & Don decide to sit at your table and cause chaos!!!!) and the community is great for the most part. Happy days.