You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Situations To FOLD ACES PRE!!!!!

edited November 2010 in Poker Chat

Ok tonights wsop aces pre flop fold discussion got me thinking.

What situations would you fold aces pre? Anyone ever done it?

(instant legend if you could post hand history proof)

The maths would suggest four opponents and your no longer a favourite to win the hand, but im not sure i could fold here.

COULD YOU?

Comments

• edited November 2010
    Surely your ALWAYS favourite to win the hand with aces in Hold 'em?
  • edited November 2010
    I fold aces pre all the time. Is it a big deal?
  • edited November 2010
    not always think about it.

three all-in opponents each have a 20% chance to win and your holding aces,

Your only 40% to win.

You will win more than each of your opponents individually, but loose more than you win in the long run. 
  • ybyb
    edited November 2010
    What 3 hands are you using for the villains to give hero 40% equity with aces?

In a cash game never fold aces pre because even if your equity is below 50% the pots odds you'd be getting would still make a call highly +EV. If its a satellite then folding aces is fine depending on circumstances.
  • edited November 2010

You would be the favourite to win the hand, but will lose the hand more than you will win it.

The best horse in the grand national goes off 9/1 favourite, but rarely wins. Still the favourite of all the candidates pre race (pre flop) to win the race (hand)

• edited November 2010

i used three hands to keep the maths example simple lol.

your 48% against kings, queens and 67 suited.

• edited November 2010
    If I have 2 or 3 all ins prior to my decision pre-flop, I am deffo foldng.

All in pre against 1 player is fine, multiple all ins and you are gonna get beat most of the time

Take my Advice - It's Only a Pair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • edited November 2010
    I would fold aces pre flop in this, that and those circumstances blah blah blah, we can all say that!......Yawn, ive never ever seen anyone do it and i certainly never will. post flop is another matter!
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Situations To FOLD ACES PRE!!!!!:
    Ok tonights wsop aces pre flop fold discussion got me thinking. What situations would you fold aces pre? Anyone ever done it? (instant legend if you could post hand history proof) The maths would suggest four opponents and your no longer a favourite to win the hand, but im not sure i could fold here. COULD YOU?
    Posted by RedHouse
    Or instant fool?
  • ybyb
    edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: Situations To FOLD ACES PRE!!!!!:
    i used three hands to keep the maths example simple lol. your 48% against kings, queens and 67 suited.
    Posted by RedHouse
    48% equity is just about the worst we can expect against 3 all ins.

(0.48*3 - 0.52*1) *100

And yet still we make 92% profit on average every time we make the call (discounting blinds and rake and assuming equal stack sizes to make things easier). There is never a situation where folding aces preflop is a good thing in a cash game.
  • edited November 2010
    Take your point about pot odds in cash games YB.

Guess its all about tournament life, laddering and how you rate your edge against your opponents.
  • edited November 2010
    if im in the toilet thats when i fold em pre
  • edited November 2010
    I leave skys software to fold them for me
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: Situations To FOLD ACES PRE!!!!! : 48% equity is just about the worst we can expect against 3 all ins. (0.48*3 - 0.52*1) *100 And yet still we make 92% profit on average every time we make the call (discounting blinds and rake and assuming equal stack sizes to make things easier). There is never a situation where folding aces preflop is a good thing in a cash game.
    Posted by yb
    Yet there are still many of us who rarely or never play cash.

In a cash situation, I would say get it in good pre-flop, at the end of the day if we lose we are just gonna re-load, however, in an MTT situation, this is one time where I would fold against multiple all-ins as this is for my tourny life, I don't have the opportunity to re-load (unless its a re-buy) so ultimately, I protect my chips and don't get involved in a 3 or 4 way pot with a pair even if it is aces pre-flop.

If I am first or second to react its going all in, however if there are multiple all ins prior to me, then i'm folding any pair and waiting for a better spot.

How we play this in cash or mtts' differs so much.
  • edited November 2010
    can only ever fold AA on a 9/10 seater table where you have 5 or more allins IMO but i would never fold its ACES u will never lose!! Unless DOHHH turns up with his 2 / 3 off suit again!!!!
  • edited November 2010

SNAP FOLD ACES AGAINST SIMSIM !!
  • edited November 2010
    I leave skys software to fold them for me
    Posted by OMahonyO
    Lmao,the prob is i agree with you ;o)
  • edited November 2010
    In a cash game, simples. You are never, ever, ever folding aces preflop and if you do- it's a mistake. You are ALWAYS getting the correct odds to make the call.

In a tournament, it's a tough fold mostly. I don't think I could fold unless it was an enormous buyin event with a real deep structure, and there's at least 4 allins in front of me in early stages- extremely unlikely.

In a DYM/satellite structure I could fold aces in a heartbeat in the right spot.
  • edited November 2010
    In a cash game, simples. You are never, ever, ever folding aces preflop and if you do- it's a mistake. You are ALWAYS getting the correct odds to make the call. In a tournament, it's a tough fold mostly. I don't think I could fold unless it was an enormous buyin event with a real deep structure, and there's at least 4 allins in front of me in early stages- extremely unlikely. In a DYM/satellite structure I could fold aces in a heartbeat in the right spot.
    Posted by DeucesLive
    +1. I would say I've folded aces 10-15 times pre-flop in DYMs (that's before it gets to 3 handed).
  • edited November 2010
    pnut198327 Big blind  £0.04 £0.04 £2.00
      Your hole cards
    • A
    • A

mazmic01 Fold     
    Patching99 Fold     
    hendo75 Call  £0.04 £0.08 £3.82
    Strider_78 Raise  £0.12 £0.20 £3.45
    pnut198327 Call  £0.08 £0.28 £1.92
    hendo75 Call  £0.08 £0.36 £3.74
    Here's one, didn't like the look of em.
  • edited November 2010
    pnut198327 Big blind   £0.04 £0.04 £2.00   Your hole cards A A       mazmic01 Fold         Patching99 Fold         hendo75 Call   £0.04 £0.08 £3.82 Strider_78 Raise   £0.12 £0.20 £3.45 pnut198327 Call   £0.08 £0.28 £1.92 hendo75 Call   £0.08 £0.36 £3.74 Here's one, didn't like the look of em.
    Posted by Patching99

Mis-click ftw
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Situations To FOLD ACES PRE!!!!!:
    Ok tonights wsop aces pre flop fold discussion got me thinking. What situations would you fold aces pre? Anyone ever done it? (instant legend if you could post hand history proof) The maths would suggest four opponents and your no longer a favourite to win the hand, but im not sure i could fold here. COULD YOU?
    Posted by RedHouse
    I did this pre the other day without seeing the hand as i was trying to arrange my tables into a nice grid whilst having a conversation with my gf and screen shifted in mid-click. 1 in 220 chance of that happening. I didn't really care tho as once it is done there's no point whatsoever in regretting it. Maybe it saved me my stack. I couldn't even be bothered to go back to look playing the 'what if' game which is equally pointless.
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: Situations To FOLD ACES PRE!!!!! : Mis-click ftw
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    Sure was, if i find myself choosing to fold aces pre in any cash or MTT then personally i would quit. 
  • edited November 2010
    This is an advertisement feature

I Never Fold ANY Pair !!