You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

i played this hand so bad, was flop isolation correct tho.

edited November 2010 in The Poker Clinic
ok so pre flop i should never call, get a semi decent flop and pot it, for all i like it i hate it. I get an answer, but should i have looked to get the other opponent in with my Two Pair, to minimise loss should i not fill up, or is the shove the only move i have?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
The_Don90 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £5.38
kieronm Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £5.18
  Your hole cards

mule44 Call  £0.04 £0.10 £3.58
thebrick Call  £0.04 £0.14 £1.56
newlad Fold     
BLITZKRIEG Call  £0.04 £0.18 £0.77
The_Don90 Call  £0.02 £0.20 £5.36
kieronm Check     
Flop

The_Don90 Bet  £0.20 £0.40 £5.16
kieronm Fold     
mule44 Call  £0.20 £0.60 £3.38
thebrick All-in  £1.56 £2.16 £0.00
BLITZKRIEG Fold     
The_Don90 All-in  £5.16 £7.32 £0.00
mule44 Fold     
The_Don90 Unmatched bet  £3.80 £3.52 £3.80
The_Don90 Show

thebrick Show

Turn

River

• A

The_Don90 Win Full House, 6s and 4s £3.26  £7.06

Comments

• edited November 2010
    After that flop always going in, not going to put someone on 73 just curse when they turn it over then fist pump when you hit 1 of your 4 outs

Played fine other then preflop would fold
  • edited November 2010
    nah mate, 2p/4p call in the SB, you're getting the odds at that stage. Would be much happier calling with 2 cards that have some kind of drawing potential there, if there was any raise before I'd dodge it. As played, I'm calling every day there with 2 pair- that kind of overbet could mean anything, an overpair- a straight draw- a heart draw- just because they're allin doesn't mean they have the made straight.

And as you see, even with the made straight- you have outs to the nuts. No problem with the hand at all tbh, I actually think folding with 3 callers in front would be a mistake with the odds you're getting.
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: i played this hand so bad, was flop isolation correct tho.:
    nah mate, 2p/4p call in the SB, you're getting the odds at that stage. Would be much happier calling with 2 cards that have some kind of drawing potential there, if there was any raise before I'd dodge it. As played, I'm calling every day there with 2 pair- that kind of overbet could mean anything, an overpair- a straight draw- a heart draw- just because they're allin doesn't mean they have the made straight. And as you see, even with the made straight- you have outs to the nuts. No problem with the hand at all tbh, I actually think folding with 3 callers in front would be a mistake with the odds you're getting.
    Posted by DeucesLive
    I agree with this.

If it goes wrong and u miss the flop, pick up the next 2x 1 penny pieces u find outside the shop.

• ybyb
    edited November 2010
    You should be thinking in terms of bbs rather than the actual value of the money you're playing with.

Fold pre imo. As played stack off on the flop.
  • edited November 2010
    You should be thinking in terms of bbs rather than the actual value of the money you're playing with. Fold pre imo. As played stack off on the flop.
    Posted by yb
    I disagree, I think you should play the limits and players correctly. Once you hit perhaps 50nl the play improves to a standard where you should fold. Remember, the implied odds at 2p/4p are ENORMOUS compared to higher levels, where people can sniff out when they're behind and are unlikely to call off 100bbs with second pair, top pair even. At 2p/4p if you hit a flop big enough, chances are someone else has a part big enough to call an enormous raise with.

Sure, you're rarely going to hit a flop so big you stack off- but what have you lost? half a bb when you've already got half invested. If you play this hand 21 times, losing 1/2 bb 20 times and winning 100 once (which is quite feasible) what's the correct play then?

And yes, you *could* end up losing 100bbs too. Much more likely you'll be a mile ahead and get an enormous pot, relative to blinds. Personally at 2p/4p it'd take a horrendous hand, out of position and with nothing invested for me to fold, I want to get involved in as many pots as possible.
  • ybyb
    edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: i played this hand so bad, was flop isolation correct tho. : I disagree, I think you should play the limits and players correctly. Once you hit perhaps 50nl the play improves to a standard where you should fold. Remember, the implied odds at 2p/4p are ENORMOUS compared to higher levels, where people can sniff out when they're behind and are unlikely to call off 100bbs with second pair, top pair even. At 2p/4p if you hit a flop big enough, chances are someone else has a part big enough to call an enormous raise with. Sure, you're rarely going to hit a flop so big you stack off- but what have you lost? half a bb when you've already got half invested. If you play this hand 21 times, losing 1/2 bb 20 times and winning 100 once (which is quite feasible) what's the correct play then? And yes, you *could* end up losing 100bbs too. Much more likely you'll be a mile ahead and get an enormous pot, relative to blinds. Personally at 2p/4p it'd take a horrendous hand, out of position and with nothing invested for me to fold, I want to get involved in as many pots as possible.
    Posted by DeucesLive
    I didn't say that you shouldn't adjust to the play at different levels, I just meant that you shouldn't call 'just because its 2p and you can afford to lose that' as Dohh was implying.

It would be interesting if someone with HEM playing micro stakes with a large sample of hands limping in from the sb/calling minraises in the bb with junky hands could post their winrates. I really doubt they'd show a profit personally.
  • edited November 2010
     I must agree with YB on this. I only play at the micro levels and all too often you see people making bad calls because "it was only 12p".The onlyway to win consistently at any level is too make a lot more correct decisions than bad. These decisions need to be based upon reads and odds not on how cheap the call is. I have seen too many people calling pot sized bets at odds of 2 to 1 to hit 10 to 1 shots. Bad decisions are bad decisions whether they are for 12p or £5000.The sooner a lot of the micro stakes players realise this the sooner they can play better and increase their BRs so they can play at higher levels.