You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

How does Rake work?

edited November 2010 in Poker Chat
This may sound a stupid question but how, and I suppose what, is rake and how does it work?

I, like may of you, received the email this morning offering £10 free but I need 20 rake points. Can anyone explain?

Comments

• edited November 2010
    pkr all i can say is you need to be in a hand with more than 2 players where u see the flop you need 20 of these hands ie big blind i also got the email very expensive to get a tenner if u dont norm play at these levels for a tenner dont bother mate stick 5 quid on red or black so much easier
    chefboy
  • edited November 2010
    In the game of life, women are the rake.

Seriously, rake is just the percentage Sky take off us to play isn't it? Rake points are gathered the more you play and gives you money back at the end of the month if you earn enough?

Am I missing something?
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: How does Rake work?:
    pkr all i can say is you need to be in a hand with more than 2 players where u see the flop you need 20 of these hands ie big blind i also got the email very expensive to get a tenner if u dont norm play at these levels for a tenner dont bother mate stick 5 quid on red or black so much easier chefboy
    Posted by chefboy79
    cool, appreciated :)
  • edited November 2010
    Also useful at this time of year for clearing up those pesky leaves.
  • edited November 2010
    Posted by Machka
    lol
  • edited November 2010
    Rake is different in MTT's and Cash

Cash - Sky take 5% of every hand that reaches the flop. This goes up to a maximum of £1.80 (All other sites / live venues work different amounts)

MTT/STT - Rake is the 10% extra fee for the tournament. I.E the open is £11 buyin (£10 + £1) The £1 is the rake and goes straight to Sky.

A lot of sites offer rakeback (Sky do cash for points) At the end of the month you get a % of the rake back as a thank you for being loyal to the site and encourages you to play more, the big hitter who play lots of tables can get a very hefty amount of money back each month.
  • edited November 2010
    Posted by Machka
    You joke but it's been seriously worrying me as my house is surrounded by trees and I don't know how much it's gonna cost me... :-(

• edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: How does Rake work? : You joke but it's been seriously worrying me as my house is surrounded by trees and I don't know how much it's gonna cost me... :-(
    Posted by NoseyBonk
    The simple solution is to move into a tree house over Autumn/Winter.  Then you can watch as the leaves literally leave your home while you point and laugh at homeowners worrying about the leaf situation.
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: How does Rake work? : You joke but it's been seriously worrying me as my house is surrounded by trees and I don't know how much it's gonna cost me... :-(
    Posted by NoseyBonk
    Alternatively, don't bother raking up the leaves surrounding your home.  Just wait until they are deep and continuous right around the house.  Then simply set fire to one part of the leaf pile and watch as all the leaves surrounding your house burn themselves away*.

*have 999 on speed dial - just in case.
  • edited November 2010
    n Response to Re: How does Rake work?:
    In Response to Re: How does Rake work? : Alternatively, don't bother raking up the leaves surrounding your home.  Just wait until they are deep and continuous right around the house.  Then simply set fire to one part of the leaf pile and watch as all the leaves surrounding your house burn themselves away*. *have 999 on speed dial - just in case.
    Posted by Machka
    I dont beleaf this is a good idea