You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Find me a job?

edited November 2010 in The Shed
Right im struggling at the mo of what i want to do, am currently working in the office with my mum :o(

have no motivation what so ever, been here a year and just doesnt suit me. i had another job lined up last few months but fell through.

Just wondered as i really dont know where i should be looking but i need a new job urgently, obviously i will stay here till i find something please help

I have good telephone manner and good communication, enjoy working with people. Maths only subject i was interested in at school

any advice or webistes to find ideal job as cant seem to find any

Thanks in advance
John

Comments

• edited November 2010
    Tikay's Tea boy
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: Find me a job?:
    Tikay's Tea boy
    Posted by FlashFlush

that'd do me :o) lol learn from the best!
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: Find me a job? : that'd do me :o) lol learn from the best!
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    I thought you were a maths person so maybe the perceived triumphs of the industrial revolution not so great for you in this spot. Also the recipe for tea is of a limited nature and not one that would stimulate your imagination too greatly.
    I think i remember reading that you are only 23. Maybe try something that involves travelling, possibly volunteer work abroad ?
    I don't know if what i have said is of any use but try not to get too down in this situation and gl to you !
  • edited November 2010
    Best advise I can give you is look through the local magazine for jobs, then go in and meet them in person wearing a suit. 1st impressions are the most important and if you have bothered to dress up in a suit and physically go and see them your already half way there.
  • edited November 2010

Full time poker player.
  • edited November 2010
    lol at last two :o)

cheers shelski and flash, i can get suited and booted but generally once i get an interview i do this. Its more about what i want to do, shelski something i have always considered just need to look into bit more so good idea
  • edited November 2010
    lol at last two :o) cheers shelski and flash, i can get suited and booted but generally once i get an interview i do this. Its more about what i want to do, shelski something i have always considered just need to look into bit more so good idea
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    Cool man, experience ftw !  Every time i go abroad now i always find myself musing that i wish i had travelled more when i was younger.
  • edited November 2010
    I’m going to risk a serious answer...

I’ve always found it best to be proactive rather than reactive. In other words, rather than thinking “Who would employ me? What skills can I offer them? How can I get an income?” it’s far better to ask yourself “What would I love doing every single day?” In my case, that meant playing with my willy an awful lot, but I’m sure you’ll be more adventurous.

This may lead you to starting your own business and becoming the master of your own destiny. Exciting, no?

I see far too many people embarking on a career to find a job, and that saddens me, it’s too easy to consign yourself to a life of mediocrity (let me know if I’m getting too preachy and I’ll crank it down a notch). What you really need to do, is start a passion. Do that, and you’ll never work a day in your life – and you’ll get paid. If it’s not clear yet, my view is to relentlessly pursue a good quality of life at every opportunity. Grab life by the throat... that kind of idea.

To be fair, I’ll bet the above hasn’t even begun to really answer your question, so I’ll add something more pragmatic. I’m guessing that the ‘problem’ you’ve got (and it’s a nice problem), is that there is too much choice: so many jobs, businesses and industries out there, that you have absolutely no idea where to start.

In this case, you need ideas – and plenty of them. Here’s a start:

1. Go to the biggest WH Smith you can find, and buy loads of magazines (please stay away from the top shelf, that’s my department). Take things from the business section, ads papers, or anything that takes your eye – especially if they have a recruitment section at the back. Buy certain newspapers on certain days that have Jobs & Careers supplements. You’re just looking for ideas here, something that fires you up.

2. Do online searches for trade and industry shows. The reason I say this, is that if you hit a London exhibition centre like Olympia or Excel for example, then you’d have one room, stuffed with business people, all offering different things and willing to talk. It’s a quick way of getting loads of ideas.

3. Talk to people and ask questions, like you’re already doing. But broaden things out; search out business forums, join network meetings, breakfast meetings in your area – anywhere where there are business people. Get your face out there, and mop up ideas. Be a sponge, and use your ears in proportion to your mouth. Listen and absorb...

In summary, it’s sometimes overwhelming to find a direction. The more directions you explore, the more ideas, and ironically, the more focussed you become... you discard what you don’t like, and funnel down to what really floats your boat. This is especially crucial at such a young age; don’t just fall into a job to pay the bills. Before you know it, you’ll be forty, fat and smelly. A lot like me, in fact.

Having said all of that, I still think Mr. Miyagi’s idea of flogging your tadger carries a lot of merit. 

Whatever you decide, the very best of luck.

• edited November 2010
    I’m going to risk a serious answer... I’ve always found it best to be proactive rather than reactive . In other words, rather than thinking “Who would employ me? What skills can I offer them? How can I get an income?” it’s far better to ask yourself “What would I love doing every single day?” In my case, that meant playing with my willy an awful lot, but I’m sure you’ll be more adventurous. This may lead you to starting your own business and becoming the master of your own destiny. Exciting, no? I see far too many people embarking on a career to find a job , and that saddens me, it’s too easy to consign yourself to a life of mediocrity (let me know if I’m getting too preachy and I’ll crank it down a notch). What you really need to do, is start a passion. Do that, and you’ll never work a day in your life – and you’ll get paid. If it’s not clear yet, my view is to relentlessly pursue a good quality of life at every opportunity. Grab life by the throat... that kind of idea. To be fair, I’ll bet the above hasn’t even begun to really answer your question, so I’ll add something more pragmatic. I’m guessing that the ‘problem’ you’ve got (and it’s a nice problem), is that there is too much choice: so many jobs, businesses and industries out there, that you have absolutely no idea where to start. In this case, you need ideas – and plenty of them. Here’s a start: 1. Go to the biggest WH Smith you can find, and buy loads of magazines (please stay away from the top shelf, that’s my department). Take things from the business section, ads papers, or anything that takes your eye – especially if they have a recruitment section at the back. Buy certain newspapers on certain days that have Jobs & Careers supplements. You’re just looking for ideas here, something that fires you up. 2. Do online searches for trade and industry shows. The reason I say this, is that if you hit a London exhibition centre like Olympia or Excel for example, then you’d have one room, stuffed with business people, all offering different things and willing to talk. It’s a quick way of getting loads of ideas. 3. Talk to people and ask questions, like you’re already doing. But broaden things out; search out business forums, join network meetings, breakfast meetings in your area – anywhere where there are business people. Get your face out there, and mop up ideas. Be a sponge, and use your ears in proportion to your mouth. Listen and absorb... In summary, it’s sometimes overwhelming to find a direction. The more directions you explore, the more ideas, and ironically, the more focussed you become... you discard what you don’t like, and funnel down to what really floats your boat. This is especially crucial at such a young age; don’t just fall into a job to pay the bills. Before you know it, you’ll be forty, fat and smelly. A lot like me, in fact. Having said all of that, I still think Mr. Miyagi’s idea of flogging your tadger carries a lot of merit.  Whatever you decide, the very best of luck.
    Posted by FlutNush
    ffs absolutely lmao,you really are the very best,xxx
  • edited November 2010
    Flut ive sent you a pm
  • edited November 2010
    So...you got moved to the shed, I guess you will accept anything now....

come to my house and pick up a box, then take it to a man who will be waiting in a park(location will be with the box), you must not look inside the box! but if you get arrested with the box you have to say its yours.

If you are successfull in this delivery i may have more
  • edited November 2010

Have you spoken to any of the other Mr Men............ I thought everything was perfect in Happytown !
  • edited November 2010
    working for yourself is the best way to go,, i work from home,, if you pm me i will give you details of my business and if that doesnt suit, i have friends who have other things they do that might.

:)
  • edited November 2010
    Good telephone manner, Good communicator, Likes working with people,

SEX CHAT LINE PERSON

use your maths to count how many minutes you`ve kept them on the phone for.
  • edited November 2010

If the job you have with your mum is your families business you could perhaps put your heart and soul into it and motivate yourself into playing a big part in making it a fantastic success that you can play a main part of running and sharing the profits with your family. Try and get different resposibilities within the firm you work for already that do interest you.

The grass might not be greener working for a slave driving, ungrateful, unreasonable bird brain who won't give you a day off and expects you to work for nowt.

Perhaps you are not motivated in your current job because you are not working as hard as you should?

Good luck for the future m8.

Accountancy maybe?

• edited November 2010
    It"s Called - An interactiive entertainment communications supplier In Response to Re: Find me a job?:
    Good telephone manner, Good communicator, Likes working with people, SEX CHAT LINE PERSON use your maths to count how many minutes you`ve kept them on the phone for.
    Posted by lucy4