You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

DOWNSWING QUESTION

edited November 2010 in The Poker Clinic
HI GUYS/GALS , BEEN PLAYING ONLINE POKER FOR 3 YEARS NOW . I ONLY PLAY TOURNAMENTS AND ONLY AT THE LOWEST LEVELS , MAINLY 2£ TO MAX 20 $ . JUST GOING THROUGH MY SECOND MAJOR DOWNSWING . THE FIRST TIME I NEARLY WENT BUSTO AND THIS TIME ITS LOOKING JUST AS BAD . THIS TIME MY ROLL WAS SEVERAL TIMES LARGER THEN PREVIOUS . I HAVE NOW LOST ABOUT 80 % OF THAT .  WHAT I AM ASKING MYSELF , IS SUCH A LARGE DOWNSWING SOMETHING THAT CAN HAPPEN TO ANYONE THAT JUST PLAYS TOURNAMENTS ?    PS. I DO STICK TO BRM AND HAVE NOW STOPPED PLAYING AS ITS AFFECTING MY GAME ( POOR AS IT IS AT THE BEST OF TIMES !! ) .

Comments

• edited November 2010
    im not the best to answer this question, although ive only had one major downswing ive had a few minor ones. Each time i have one i usually use it to develop my game, improve me as a player, also it improves me mentally. Maybe with a mix of all this is why my downswings are now shorter, however only the poker gods can answer that.
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: DOWNSWING QUESTION:
    im not the best to answer this question, although ive only had one major downswing ive had a few minor ones. Each time i have one i usually use it to develop my game, improve me as a player, also it improves me mentally. Maybe with a mix of all this is why my downswings are now shorter, however only the poker gods can answer that.
    Posted by The_Don90
    CHEERS DON . WHEN I HAD MY FIRST ONE , I HAD A SIMILAR EXPERIENCE . IT MADE ME THINK ABOUT MY GAME , ASK FOR HELP , TRY OUT NEW THINGS ETC. IN THE END , DESPITE ALL THE AGONY I FELT IT WAS A WORTHWHILE EXPERIENCE AND MY GAME HAD IMPROVED . WHEN THIS ONE STARTED , I THOUGHT I WAS PLAYING MY BEST EVER . MAYBE IT IS JUST SOMETHING I HAVE WILL HAVE TO GET USED TOO . IT SURE SUCKS .
  • edited November 2010
    yea i used to be MTT only, but now when im on a downswing ill switch to prodominantly DYMs expessially on a friday and saturday night, and play a bit of cash now. DYMs are just simple expessially when your on a downswing since you wont want to play many hands anyways. Not as entertaining as a MTT but still pays the bills.
  • edited November 2010
     THINK I SHOULD CLARIFY MY QUESTION . I KNOW THAT SUCCESSFUL WINNING PLAYERS CAN AND HAVE GONE BUST BECAUSE OF POOR BRM . ARE SUCH HUGE DOWN SWINGS SOMETHING THAT CAN AND PROBABLY WILL HAPPEN TO ANY PLAYER ?
  • edited November 2010
    im a successful tourney player and i havent won naff all for blooming ages.  it happens.  no good answers for how to deal with it just make sure u play your A game every time
  • edited November 2010
    yea i used to be MTT only, but now when im on a downswing ill switch to prodominantly DYMs expessially on a friday and saturday night, and play a bit of cash now. DYMs are just simple expessially when your on a downswing since you wont want to play many hands anyways. Not as entertaining as a MTT but still pays the bills.
    Posted by The_Don90
    DON'T KNOW WHY BUT IM USELESS AT DYM AND CASH BORES ME SO BAD ( PLUS IM CAPABLE AND SCARED OF TILTING ON CASH) . IM AWARE THAT WITH CASH THE SWINGS SHOULD BE LESS PAINFUL . TOURNEYS ARE ALL I REALLY ENJOY.
  • edited November 2010
    im a successful tourney player and i havent won naff all for blooming ages.  it happens.  no good answers for how to deal with it just make sure u play your A game every time
    Posted by huuuuume
    THXS. HUUU ( HOWMANY UUUU lol ) ME . YES , NOT REALLY LOOKING FOR ANSWERS HOW TO HANDLE IT . GUESS , MY CONFIDENCE NEEDS REASSURING THAT THIS SORT OF SWING IS PAR FOR THE COURSE EVEN FOR WINNING PLAYERS. STOPPED PLAYING FOR THE TIME BEING AS MY C GAME IS BEING AFFECTED ( STILL LOOKING FOR MY A GAME :) ). HOPE THINGS TURN FOR YOU SOON .
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: DOWNSWING QUESTION : DON'T KNOW WHY BUT IM USELESS AT DYM AND CASH BORES ME SO BAD ( PLUS IM CAPABLE AND SCARED OF TILTING ON CASH) . IM AWARE THAT WITH CASH THE SWINGS SHOULD BE LESS PAINFUL . TOURNEYS ARE ALL I REALLY ENJOY.
    Posted by PILLOWMAN
    yea i was the same for years. I found that in the end dyms where boring, cash was a grind, but it was a good way to make a small earning and pay for my MTTs. Since i learnt to understand them fully ive started to enjoy them. Still cant beat a good old deep run in an MTT though
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: DOWNSWING QUESTION : yea i was the same for years. I found that in the end dyms where boring, cash was a grind, but it was a good way to make a small earning and pay for my MTTs. Since i learnt to understand them fully ive started to enjoy them. Still cant beat a good old deep run in an MTT though
    Posted by The_Don90
    HAVE PLAYED A LITTLE CASH TO FUND MTTS IN THE PAST WHEN RUNNING BAD . THIS TIME MY MIND HAS GONE AND EMOTIONALLY IM SHATTERED . NOT PLAYING ONLY REAL OPTION AT THIS STAGE . THXS, APPRECIATE YOUR POSTS.
  • edited November 2010
      The major problem as i see it is that tournies have a very high variance. When you consider that only 1 in 10 cash in each tourny and the minimum cash is usually only about double the buyin. For this reason you need to be hitting final tables and big cashes when you do cash and not just limping into the money.

The one thing that might help is to look over your hands and be brutally honest with yourself.Did you get yourself into bad spots unnecessarily or make really bad decisions.Any weakness in your game might come to light and you can improve.If you are happy with the way you are playing then it just could be the negative side of variance coming in and we all just have to ride that out and hope it ends sooner rather than later.

I know that as a lover of the deepies you would be naturally nitty in your style, have you considered trying a faster paced tourny which could generate a laggier side to your game and therefore expand your playing styles which would make youmore of a complete player.

I hope some of this helps and we see you back on the tables soon taking down some big ones.
  • edited November 2010
    CHEERS TALON , NEED ALL THE LOVE I CAN GET AT THE MOMENT !! WHAT YOU CANNOT KNOW IS THAT THE LAST 400  OR SO TOURNEYS I HAVE PLAYED ARE NOT DEEPIES . NEARLY ALL ARE 1.500/2.000 CHIPS 10 MIN. BLINDS AND 10 SEATER . THIS TOOK QUITE SOME GETTING USED TOO AND I HONESTLY BELIEVE MY GAME HAS IMPROVED ENORMOUSLY FOR IT . DON'T GET ME WRONG , THERE IS STILL PLENTY OF ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT AND IM KNOW THERE ARE THINGS I HAVE NOT EVEN REALLY TACKLED PROPERLY . WHAT HAS HAPPENED SEVERAL TIMES LATELY IS THAT I GO DEEP INTO A TOURNEY AND LOSE THE PLOT . I CANT FOLD A BIG HAND , MAKE A TERRIBLE CALL , DON'T MAKE A CALL I SHOULD OR SOME OTHER SUCH NONSENSE . I THINK THE FRUSTRATION OF THE DOWN SWING HAS GOT TO ME EMOTIONALLY AND I JUST BLOW ALL THE GOOD WORK THAT I PUT IN IN THE FIRST 2/3 HOURS . THXS. AGAIN  , GL M8.
  • edited November 2010
    turn caps lock off and doomswitch will be taken off your account
  • edited November 2010
    turn caps lock off and doomswitch will be taken off your account
    Posted by LOL_RAISE

cheers m8

there was  ME THINKING I  suck at pokerz  ( I DO BUT THATSA NOTHER STORY +(*bLyFWE ;SJ =  MUST PUT THE LIGHT ON