You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Variance

edited November 2010 in Poker Chat
Reading discussions, mtt = high variance, cash or dym's = low variance. Where do the regular 6 seat sit & go's fit into the scale?

I'd rather play them than dym's but is it the right thing for me to be doing? Particularly after a pretty poor couple of weeks for cashing.

Comments

• edited November 2010
    In Response to Variance:
    Reading discussions, mtt = high variance, cash or dym's = low variance. Where do the regular 6 seat sit & go's fit into the scale? I'd rather play them than dym's but is it the right thing for me to be doing? Particularly after a pretty poor couple of weeks for cashing.
    Posted by harding10
    Hi harding
    The 6 seater dym sng,s are said to be the lowest varience, still happens though :)
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Variance:
    Reading discussions, mtt = high variance, cash or dym's = low variance. Where do the regular 6 seat sit & go's fit into the scale? I'd rather play them than dym's but is it the right thing for me to be doing? Particularly after a pretty poor couple of weeks for cashing.
    Posted by harding10
    Unfortunately m8 I think u play low levels as fairly new to site same as me. I think the variance just has to be coped with as you get the "its only a quid i'll call your all-in with my 94o - might get lucky"

Everyone seems to say on the forums that u want these people at your table as they will lose over time, but it is frustrating when you go all in with premium hands & get 4/5 callers with ****, as you will lose most of the time.

My problem is that you have to change your game so much to compensate for this that it becomes hardly worth playing.

For what its worth my opinion is stay away from the small rebuy MTT's as these lead to all sorts of weird scenarios. (earlier today had KK - pre betting went round 8  re-raises until all 6 all-in - my oppos had A2o. 107s. 72o, 54o, q10o????? - the 107 hand won).

If possible try the £2.20 deepies as you can wait out the odd looney as you start with 5k chips (they usually bust out in the first hour).

The DYM's are ok but I personally find em a bit boring & playing to finish top 3 is IMO not good 4 your game in the long run.

I think most importantly the idea is to have fun - dont worry about not cashing etc, that will come with time - are you playing on here for fun or trying to make a career of it (I think u need to play 1000000 30p sit &gos at a time to make it work  - get a bigger screen - lol).

Good luck
  • edited November 2010
    Ploppy

I started Feb this year with £5, built it up to £75 mostly with mtt's but its currently heading south faster than I'd like. Don't think I'm playing badly, nor am I tilted by whats going on, its probably just variance.

Play £1/£2 regular or deeepie tourneys, no rebuys, bounty hunters or speed. Also a few cheap regular sit & go's for a bit of fun & practice.

Play for fun, but part of the fun so far has been making a few quids profit on the month.

I don't much like the idea but I'm probably going to have to resort to grinding dym's to pay for my tournament  entrys whilst I've still got a £50 roll as back-up. At least until things turn a bit.

I've not seen as many 2's in a night as I had in tonites Tikay. Wonderful stuff.
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: Variance:
    Ploppy I started Feb this year with £5, built it up to £75 mostly with mtt's but its currently heading south faster than I'd like. Don't think I'm playing badly, nor am I tilted by whats going on, its probably just variance. Play £1/£2 regular or deeepie tourneys, no rebuys, bounty hunters or speed. Also a few cheap regular sit & go's for a bit of fun & practice. Play for fun, but part of the fun so far has been making a few quids profit on the month. I don't much like the idea but I'm probably going to have to resort to grinding dym's to pay for my tournament  entrys whilst I've still got a £50 roll as back-up. At least until things turn a bit.   I've not seen as many 2's in a night as I had in tonites Tikay. Wonderful stuff.
    Posted by harding10
    sky operate on a 60 card deck - the extra 8 cards all being 2's lol
  • edited November 2010
    Eureka.

Worked out part of the problem during early shift. After a bit of success in the last couple of months I've started going out on the cash bubble instead of being content to sneak through and ladder if short stacked. Would have halved the losses had I just made a couple of more conservative decisions.

Always used to have a similar problem with cricket. Once the aggressive shots had kicked in it was always a struggle to think about defending the next delivery.
  • edited November 2010
    Eureka. Worked out part of the problem during early shift. After a bit of success in the last couple of months I've started going out on the cash bubble instead of being content to sneak through and ladder if short stacked. Would have halved the losses had I just made a couple of more conservative decisions. Always used to have a similar problem with cricket. Once the aggressive shots had kicked in it was always a struggle to think about defending the next delivery.
    Posted by harding10
    sounds to me that you see the problem is that your bubbling. Sorry i understand you wana cash etc, but bubbling is going out while trying to win rather than limping throo,

Old arguement this one, but i know me and a number of other MTT based players love players trying to limp in on the bubble.
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: Variance : sounds to me that you see the problem is that your bubbling. Sorry i understand you wana cash etc, but bubbling is going out while trying to win rather than limping throo, Old arguement this one, but i know me and a number of other MTT based players love players trying to limp in on the bubble.
    Posted by The_Don90
    What I was trying to say is that I've stopped being satisfied to simply cash even when the opportunity to go very deep is a longshot.

In terms of general play that's probably not the worst thing but as a novice with a limited bankroll even small cash is better than no cash, and is better for general confidence.

If I've got a decent stack I love players trying to limp home.
  • edited November 2010
    6 seater stt are best for my variance

order i would put it DYM />STT>CASH>TOURNEYS

no doubt some may swap STT & Cash
  • edited November 2010
    Playing for the win is the only way to make MTTs profitable, going for a min-cash is a losing strategy. If that's how you like to play you'll be better off sticking to DYMs.
  • edited November 2010
    Playing for the win is the only way to make MTTs profitable, going for a min-cash is a losing strategy. If that's how you like to play you'll be better off sticking to DYMs.
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    I know you like the b/h's,as i do myself,and would you not agree that these are the softest and most profitable tournys to play? xxx
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: Variance : I know you like the b/h's,as i do myself,and would you not agree that these are the softest and most profitable tournys to play? xxx
    Posted by debdobs_67
    Definitely, £2.30 and £5.75 bounty hunters are very soft.

Fair enough, it is a high variance way to play poker, but anybody with a good game and a suitable bankroll will do well in these over time. I've played in 266 of these with a 42% ROI. They're good fun to play in too.

• edited November 2010
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    I wouldn't play to min-cash from the start, but sometimes situations might make some cash sensible.

If you're 21st out of 23 and 20 get paid maybe min-cash is a more realistic target than the final table???

Or if you're 5th out of 9 with 8 paid its probably not the time to be too aggressive and finish 9th?

Or banging heads with the chip leader when the short stack only has 2bb's?

Last couple of weeks I've played the hand rather than the situation at bubble time.