You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Is this too risky?

edited November 2010 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
littlele27 Small blind  300.00 300.00 22935.00
antap2 Big blind  600.00 900.00 6685.00
  Your hole cards
  • A

Ploppy33 Raise  1500.00 2400.00 28950.00
xx Raise  5100.00 7500.00 6450.00
littlele27 Fold     
antap2 Fold     
Ploppy33 All-in  28950.00 36450.00 0.00
xx All-in  6450.00 42900.00 0.00
Ploppy33 Unmatched bet  18900.00 24000.00 18900.00
Ploppy33 Show
  • A

xxShow
  • Q
  • A

Flop

Turn

• J

River

• J

Ploppy33 Win Two Pairs, Jacks and 9s 24000.00  42900.00

Comments

• edited November 2010
    In Response to Is this too risky?:
    Not with that stack skipper ! wp.
  • edited November 2010
    love the raise size fold to the reraise.
  • edited November 2010
    What range of hands do you put him on when he 3bets pre?
  • edited November 2010
    This was FT in a £2.20 deepie - I have the problem where I know I have to go out for 20 mins in 40 mins time so am aware that I really need to push the pace. (This hopefully will explain the weird calls 3 handed & HU as only 5 mins remaining).

My initial raise I feel was fairly standard as was keeping it about this throughout. The villain? (villain may be me - we will see) had been at same table throughout tourney - I had only made 1 3-bet all tourney and that was with k's.

I got torrents of abuse for only having A9. My view is my range, given his short stack, would be perceived as 1010+, AK & AQ. As from his comments he didnt expect me to be this weak so why did he call?

Thoughts please
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: Is this too risky?:
    What range of hands do you put him on when he 3bets pre?
    Posted by cottlad
    I put his range for this on A10+ or any pair. I'm under no illusions that i'm behind with my A9.
  • edited November 2010
    If he has that range you want to gamble with a different hand to Ax.
  • edited November 2010
    Ploppy im with Beaneh.

Although i have to say going by the description of your image if the guy is paying attention like i would be, i let the timer bar run out on my AQ here. Well Played. Ignore the Abuse, although again i do have to agree with beaneh
  • edited November 2010
    Would you do the same 4bet with 23o/s?  If yes then fine, if no then it's bad.

I would like to also agree with Beaneh, raggy aces are awful for this type of play.
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: Is this too risky? : I put his range for this on A10+ or any pair. I'm under no illusions that i'm behind with my A9.
    Posted by Ploppy33
    Sorry just seen this reply on the thread.  Fold to the raise.  His 3bet has all but committed your opponent and A9 plays so badly in this spot.
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: Is this too risky? : Sorry just seen this reply on the thread.  Fold to the raise.  His 3bet has all but committed your opponent and A9 plays so badly in this spot.
    Posted by TommyD
    But considering the stack sizes and what's in the pot already ? He knows he's often  behind but i don't see the point in folding. What about the cat that calls that with A-Q os ? How's he rate his chances to that play ? It's not like he's got a good hand like 10's. This is classic tourney play incarnate. It's gambling not hard cash. Maybe :)
  • edited November 2010
    Would you do the same 4bet with 23o/s?  If yes then fine, if no then it's bad. I would like to also agree with Beaneh, raggy aces are awful for this type of play.
    Posted by TommyD
    Thanks for the feedback guys - taken on board (hopefully !)

Am I better to do this with say 78 suited then or not at all?

What if stck sizes are fairly similar - say oppo has 15k back?
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: Is this too risky? : Thanks for the feedback guys - taken on board (hopefully !) Am I better to do this with say 78 suited then or not at all? What if stck sizes are fairly similar - say oppo has 15k back?
    Posted by Ploppy33
    Then you don't play like this in the first place maybe ?
  • edited November 2010
    dont mind initial raise fine, again if you think your behind here to a10+ you have to fold to there all in you have plenty of chips you dont need to double someone up easy, pick a better spot