You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

TSP OTS: Gliterbabe vs yi1988

edited November 2010 in The Poker Clinic
Happy Monday all!

I've just been railing Team Sky Poker memmber Wayne Rideout - aka Gliterbabe - playing what appears to be a really interesting heads-up match against yi1988 when a hand sprung up that I think is worth debate. In the spirit of ATOTW (Acronymns Taking Over The World), I'm going to call this TSP OTS: Team Sky Poker Over The Shoulder. Snappy, I know. Orford would love that title. Anyway, to the hand in question.

You're in the shoes of none other than Gliterbabe, who has been playing a £1.50/£3 heads-up session against yi1988. The action so far has been fairly standard, with only a light amount of 3- and 4-betting preflop. We're in the big blind as Wayne looks down at Ac-6d.

The Action:

Yi1988 completes in the small blind and Gliterbabe raises it up to £12. Yi1988 flat calls.

Dealing the flop (8d,Qh,Jd).
GliterBabe checks. Yi1988 checks behind. What do we make of Gliterbabe's check here? What kind of hands we do we put Yi1988 on given the action so far (preflop and on the flop).

Dealing the turn (3d).
GliterBabe checks, Yi1988 bets £12 and Gliterbabe decides to call with the small flush draw and ace-high. Again, how do we feel about this call? How many of you make this call thinking you might be ahead? How many of you are going to be happy if the river comes a diamond?

Dealing the river (9h).
GliterBabe checked.Yi1988 checks behind. Gliterbabe shows Ac-6d. What do you think Yi1988 showed? Do we think Gliterbabe's got the best hand here?

Comments

• edited November 2010
    From my experience of this player, he could have abs anything in this spot!

He definately doesnt have a strong hand pre, i would say k rag. q rag j rag at best.

When gb checks i would think the villain may have a stab here IP as the heck from gb is either weakness or trappy. But when he checks behind, i feel he may have hit a piece of this flop. Maybe top pair/two pair/fd ect..

Turn is a scary card as it brings the flush. When gb checks again, the other dude has to bet now to either protect his hand or pounce on the weakness.

GB knows he has checked twice and looks weak so calls with the ace high and the flush draw.

If the villain did flop top pair or two pair the river is a killer card for the action. The turn brought the flush, the river the straight, and as soon as he checks the river i rekon he has top or two pair on the flop.

If he has air he would prob take a stab at the river as he has no showdown value and gb has shown no strength post flop he must feel a bet would take the pot, because gb wouldnt play a fd like this, and would prob lead the river if has straight.

So when he checks i rekon he has some showdown value.

I have ticked two pairs, although q 7 ect hands are also possible, but he may turn those into bluffs on the river.

Prob miles off but i thought id get the ball rolling! lol
  • edited November 2010
    Don't think he has a hand that strong.  Something like J7 springs to mind.  Pretty wet board for him to bet flop with this hand but once GB checks again turn then he has to bet for value and protection.

Also think that GB calling OOP with essentially a 6hiFD is pretty terrible.  The only reason why you would do that is if he is bluffy/gets out of line a lot.  And if thats the case then he's gonna put on serious pressure on any scare card river if indeed he does have air that A high can't beat.

• edited November 2010
    I personally think Yi1988 has J10 basically 2nd pair no or bad kicker

From glitterbabes pov(point of view) i would say like the re-raise pre with a6, i'd probably c bet on that flop rep either the q or j and if re-raised would get rid. turn bet from yi just looks like a steal but could easy have small pair here, check on river generally weak but still think could call with similar hands as gb or  a pair with intent on calling. GB good check behind as showdown with ace, could win it but wouldnt be suprised if yi has a jack. All of this is readless as have no idea how opponent is
  • edited November 2010
    I reckon he has a flush draw with a rivered pair- Kd/9c, or something like that.

Preflop he may think GB is making a move, so calls to see a flop- when GB checks, he may be worried about a possible trap play, and decides to float off another card. Turn brings the flush draw, and with another check from GB he thinks perhaps a bet can push him off, and he still has a solid draw. The call probably worries him. Then the river hits and he pairs up, and decides to check behind with some showdown value at the end, worried about a top pair kind of hand which is willing to check call any reasonable bet.
  • edited November 2010
    Good work so far people. Keep it coming and I'll let you know what transpired tomorrow. I have to say, the hand has had me thinking for most of the day, which probably makes me a bit sad or something...

Sky Dave
  • edited November 2010
    fishes have super wide ranges, he can have anything 2pair or worse
  • edited November 2010
    I bet it transpires he has a set/straight on the river, lol
  • edited November 2010
    errrrm it#s HU the preceeding hands are kinda important so there really isn't much we can say.

Villain could turn up with a weird hand for analysing this in a vacuum, we could discuss Gliters raise pre except that again we know nothing of the villain or these twos history together.

I understand what you're trying to do and getting more discussion in the clinic would be good but heads up spots in a vaccuum are literally the worst kind of things to try and discuss.

my guess would be a marginal made hand.
  • edited November 2010
    I have no idea really, bottom set maybe? 333
  • edited November 2010
    im going for a JT J8 J9 region. Most likley J8, although i dont know the opponent i just cant see Wayne winning this one.
  • edited November 2010
    Well Dave, as it's made you think so much I'm going to go for Villain flopping the world and burning all of his value away by super slowplaying.
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: TSP OTS: Gliterbabe vs yi1988:
    Well Dave, as it's made you think so much I'm going to go for Villain flopping the world and burning all of his value away by super slowplaying.
    Posted by TommyD
    LOL or maybe he has A-6 os too tee hee % /
  • edited November 2010
     If yi had was holding a 10 i'd of thought he'd of made some kind of raise on the river for hitting the straight, i he  possibly had trips and tried to play it cool, wait for a raise but the river spoilt it, (if he did then i doubt this would be a debate right now) so i think he had a weak hand such as 2/3 or 3/4 (possibly suited)  and hit a pair with the 3 and raised on the hope GB would fold

i could be totally wrong, but hey,
  • edited November 2010
     If yi had was holding a 10 i'd of thought he'd of made some kind of raise on the river for hitting the straight, i he  possibly had trips and tried to play it cool, wait for a raise but the river spoilt it, (if he did then i doubt this would be a debate right now) so i think he had a weak hand such as 2/3 or 3/4 (possibly suited)  and hit a pair with the 3 and raised on the hope GB would fold i could be totally wrong, but hey,
    Posted by LadeeLou

Nice first post ladeelou welcome to the clinic(poker that is lol) hope we see you around here more often xx
  • edited November 2010
    errrrm it#s HU the preceeding hands are kinda important so there really isn't much we can say. Villain could turn up with a weird hand for analysing this in a vacuum, we could discuss Gliters raise pre except that again we know nothing of the villain or these twos history together. I understand what you're trying to do and getting more discussion in the clinic would be good but heads up spots in a vaccuum are literally the worst kind of things to try and discuss. my guess would be a marginal made hand.
    Posted by beaneh
    Very fair comment Beaneh, but what do you do then if this is a player you have no history against and have to make this kind of decision. I might as well pick your brains while you're here, right? ;)
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: TSP OTS: Gliterbabe vs yi1988 : Nice first post ladeelou welcome to the clinic(poker that is lol) hope we see you around here more often xx
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    lol! you sleaze
  • edited November 2010
    oops caught red handed, edit ftw :P
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: TSP OTS: Gliterbabe vs yi1988 : Very fair comment Beaneh, but what do you do then if this is a player you have no history against and have to make this kind of decision. I might as well pick your brains while you're here, right? ;)
    Posted by Sky_Dave

If i'm in GBs shoes I don't get to the river like this is the easy answer! 

The thing is you could look at see the previous 10-30 hands and see if anything major happened, say any specific hands that went to showdown etc.

:-)
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: TSP OTS: Gliterbabe vs yi1988 : If i'm in GBs shoes I don't get to the river like this is the easy answer!  The thing is you could look at see the previous 10-30 hands and see if anything major happened, say any specific hands that went to showdown etc. :-)
    Posted by beaneh
    You're the master of the sidestep, young Beaneh :)

OK, how would have played the hand differently without reads to the way GB did? Readless, I would have c-bet the flop and barrelled the turn, for what it's worth....
  • edited November 2010
    just post the result now dave :) as it wouldnt have been readless here
  • edited November 2010
    well first and foremost what is the stack size?!

that's kind of important.

I wouldn't raise A6o oop as a standard especially to not then play it passively post flop when we can barely ever be good.
  • edited November 2010
    well first and foremost what is the stack size?! that's kind of important. I wouldn't raise A6o oop as a standard especially to not then play it passively post flop when we can barely ever be good.
    Posted by beaneh
    Hard to really comment on this as this hand is being examined in a vacuum.  I don't mind the raise with A6 or checking the flop as it's very much in the caller's ballpark.  However I hate the call on the turn with a passion.  You've refused to C-Bet the flop as it's a callers flop but then suddenly thought A high or a baby 1 card flush draw might be good?  I really don't like the change in line in the hand.

Just my opinion and as I said before, all these comments are related to a hand out of context with no other information (never played the villain myself I believe).
  • edited November 2010
    Hey all,

Some interesting thoughts on here and of course Beaneh raises a good point about context and stack sizes being of the utmost importance.

The hand itself was interesting the way that I personally felt both players played the hand in quite a restrained way. yi1988 ended up showing down J-8 for a flopped bottom two pair. The hand only makes sense to me if he was intending on check-raising an expected c-bet from Gliterbabe. Otherwise I'd personally feel that board is too wet to let Wayne catch something, a view which is probably endorsed when two wet cards kill his action on the turn and river.

Anyone disagree? Props to Dan by the way for nailing the hand.

Dave
  • edited November 2010
    he cant be trying to check raise against a cbet because GB is OOP and checked to him
  • edited November 2010
    he cant be trying to check raise against a cbet because GB is OOP and checked to him
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    Nice hand, well played ;) Serves me right for multi-tasking!

Conclusion: the hand makes no/very little sense to me.
  • edited November 2010
    I think you should do this regularly and give out free tourny entries for the 1st person to get the hole cards right :P

*Edit - i suppose you'd have to take it from a game that no-one was watching though! lol