You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

PLO Tournies

edited November 2010 in Poker Chat
What adjustements need to be made when moving from NLHE MTTs and SNGs to PLO MTTs and SNGs?  Primarily I'm thinking about not being able to shove with ten big blinds.  When you get down to ten big blinds, do you just stick a pot sized raise in pre-flop and say that you are committed to the hand?  Or do you just allow yourself to get down to, say, five big blinds before you need to do that?

Thanks

W

Comments

• edited November 2010
    In Response to PLO Tournies:
    What adjustements need to be made when moving from NLHE MTTs and SNGs to PLO MTTs and SNGs?  Primarily I'm thinking about not being able to shove with ten big blinds.  When you get down to ten big blinds, do you just stick a pot sized raise in pre-flop and say that you are committed to the hand?  Or do you just allow yourself to get down to, say, five big blinds before you need to do that? Thanks W
    Posted by Wilhelm
    I don't know Wil, but i wish i could think of an inteligent question to ask, like this one!!

• edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: PLO Tournies:
    In Response to PLO Tournies : I don't know Wil, but i wish i could think of an inteligent question to ask, like this one!!
    Posted by major1962
    It's a gift; and a curse.
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to PLO Tournies:
    What adjustements need to be made when moving from NLHE MTTs and SNGs to PLO MTTs and SNGs?  Primarily I'm thinking about not being able to shove with ten big blinds.  When you get down to ten big blinds, do you just stick a pot sized raise in pre-flop and say that you are committed to the hand?  Or do you just allow yourself to get down to, say, five big blinds before you need to do that? Thanks W
    Posted by Wilhelm
    Awaits Talon for in depth reply....

In the mean time, fwiw my views... in PLO mtts imo it is very important to be stealing blinds during the mid to latter states. On here i have noticed a passivity and a reluctance call oop. pretty much the principle of putting pressure on and getting money in first on any board that can help your hand is important. If you have 10bbs and you make a standard raise pre, the texture of the board is vital. If i have well and truely missed big time then you can give it up easily, but any sign of str8 draws, flush draws im shippin it in.

I much prefer NLO dyms, as any decent hand im shoving. PLO dyms are much harder to make consistent profit at imo.
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to PLO Tournies : Awaits Talon for in depth reply.... In the mean time, fwiw my views... in PLO mtts imo it is very important to be stealing blinds during the mid to latter states. On here i have noticed a passivity and a reluctance call oop. pretty much the principle of putting pressure on and getting money in first on any board that can help your hand is important. If you have 10bbs and you make a standard raise pre, the texture of the board is vital. If i have well and truely missed big time then you can give it up easily, but any sign of str8 draws, flush draws im shippin it in. I much prefer NLO dyms, as any decent hand im shoving. PLO dyms are much harder to make consistent profit at imo.
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    Thanks Greg.  I didn't know these were available on here but have just seen one in the lobby.  Got to be tried.
  • edited November 2010
    Hi Wilhelm

Dont forget, you use 2 cards in your hand, and any 3 from thr community cards, AA isnt as strong in Omaha as they are in NLH, there are alot more outdraws, use the four colour deck, and hand descrition from the table drop down menu.
  • edited November 2010
    Hi Wilhelm Dont forget, you use 2 cards in your hand, and any 3 from thr community cards, AA isnt as strong in Omaha as they are in NLH, there are alot more outdraws, use the four colour deck, and hand descrition from the table drop down menu.
    Posted by acebarry10
    i play in the Omaha's for fun, i havent really taken them seriously because i dont know how to play them properly but i seem to do well in them (dym's).
    maybe after reading this i might have a "look" at them more.
  • edited November 2010

Hi Will,

You Posted the same question on "Ask tikay", & I've answered it there.
  • edited November 2010
    Hi Will, You Posted the same question on "Ask tikay", & I've answered it there.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Thanks Boss.  Great help.  For the benefit of others:

If we pot it in PLO with 10 bigs in total, we are pot-stuck really. This means we need to try to engineer a situation where we can ramp it up pre, so as to put the max pressure on by getting the lot in pre. This is why Pot Limit is such a game of skill, especially when mixed with Omaha.

What you might try is limping in early pos if there is an aggro or serial Raiser on the Table behind you, let HIM be the Raiser, & so now you have some serious leverage to pot it, & allowing for a limper or two before all the action, we can now get the lot in. 

What I would deffo NEVER do, is play No-Limit Omaha. It's brutally swingy, & is not for the faint-hearted, as the "Omaha Roulette" players just jam every hand. And in Omaha, even A-A-K-K (DS) is not that far ahead of anything.  
  • edited November 2010
      PLO is a very difficult game to play when short stacked because any starting hand no matter how good can be destroyed by a flop. Add this to the fact that when UTG the maximum raise you can put in is 2.5bb. This means that if you are playing 14BB deep then this maximum raise constitutes 25% of your stack which is a lot to invest as there are liable to be multiple callers to this raise especially if there are some large stacks around. The last thing you want to be doing when this happens is to have to fold on the flop or rely on a major bluff getting through.

The best way to avoid getting into this is earlier on in the tourny to get your stack built up to the point where you are ahead of the blinds and then you can pick and choose your pots easier. The first couple of levels are good for this because if you make a misstep you still have the chance to recover.

For me the cut off point would be about 15BB when you start to worry about your stack. Here you still have the opportunity to get into pots cheaply  and fold if you miss or fire big if you hit big( made hand or draw). The best thing to do when in this mode is to limit yourself to 3+ nut drawing hands preflop(to give yourself the best chance of hitting) and avoid playing hands that just contain a PP and no other winning potential.

At some point however you will have to draw the line and say this is it and get all your chips over the line. The best way to do this would be to 3-bet allin or pot commit raise yourself from late position after some limpage so as to make your raise as big as possible.This would probably be when you have about 6-7BB and have no other sensible alternative.In this case though you should try to use as good a hand as possible you may not have the option and be forced to rely on the poker gods.

That is about as good an answer as i can manage im afraid as my speciality is more on the cash side than MTTs.Hope some of this was useful to you.