You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Live game etiqette question.

edited November 2010 in The Poker Clinic

If there's only two players left in the pot and one shoves is it allowable for the other player to reveal his hand (or even say what it is) when still making his decision?

Cheers - bandini

Comments

• edited November 2010
    In Response to Live game etiqette question.:
    If there's only two players left in the pot and one shoves is it allowable for the other player to reveal his hand (or even say what it is) when still making his decision? Cheers - bandini
    Posted by bandini
    I'm not sure about this, but I think that the rule is that once you intentionally reveal your hole cards, your hand is dead.  I could be way off though.
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: Live game etiqette question.:
    In Response to Live game etiqette question. : I'm not sure about this, but I think that the rule is that once you intentionally reveal your hole cards, your hand is dead.  I could be way off though.
    Posted by Wilhelm
    Defo nothing in the rules against verbally anouncing your hand though.
  • edited November 2010
    depends on the card room.

sometimes in a cash game ive seen this happen and it go unnoticed.

other times someones called the floor.

if in doubt, don't do it.
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: Live game etiqette question.:
    depends on the card room. sometimes in a cash game ive seen this happen and it go unnoticed. other times someones called the floor. if in doubt, don't do it.
    Posted by scotty77
    It was done against me and whereas it didn't bother me I was wondering if it was legit.

One half of me says it makes no real difference and is only speech play really. But it also seems to be the case on live games on tv that when you show your hand in that situation it means you're calling. I dunno. 
  • edited November 2010
    This is one of those that is different depending on the card room, tournament directors and the like. Some would say its dead others would allow it.

For example I've seen poker after dark where on one occasion they were allowing players to show one of their cards when they were all in to the person deciding if he wanted to call etc. Also seen occasion where Phil Helmouth was taking an age over if he made a call with a pair of queens, and he told Mike the mouth what his hand was to shut him up when he was moaning at him for the time he was taking. Then on another episode of it they didn't allow the one card to be show.

So, as others said, if in doubt don't do it. If in doubt when someone else does it then ask if it bothers you etc. Its things like this and many others that really makes me and I expect millions of other players wish there was actually a proper rule book for some of these smaller things that differ card room to card room.
  • edited November 2010
    I thought I heard someplace that it wasn't fine to do this in a live tourney but ok in a live cash game. Could be wrong though...
  • edited November 2010
    Wasn't this discussed on a show a couple of weeks ago with James and Trevor?
  • edited November 2010
    It very much depends on where you are playing and the House rules.

I think in a tournament it is not allowed but in a cash game heads up pot anything goes.
  • edited November 2010
    I think there's two different issues there- whilst a hand is in progress (whether you're involved or not) you can't say what you've got (though you can of course banter with whether you've hit the board, got a pair/draw whatever). But if it's a heads up pot and the other player is allin, I'm fairly sure you can say literally whatever you want, since the pot is to all intents now dead- therefore anything you say has no further effect on the hand. You can now talk to yourself and if you've got pocket queens, for example, there's nothing wrong with you revealing that and seeing if there's any reaction from your opponent. Whether you call in the end or not is immaterial, the hand reveal doesn't alter any decisions made by you or your opponent.

Once you actually show them, of course, it's assumed you've folded unless you've actually said call, however. If showing your cards was what you meant I'm almost certain that's not allowed, it's just a straight fold.