You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Anyone fancy a TSP Classic League?

edited November 2010 in Poker Chat

I was struck by what a quality field this gets most nights. (see the thread from last night HERE)

Is there much/any appetite for a "best overall/average performance" League thing for this?

If there were, we'd need to.....

1) Find a reliable volunteer to act as statistician/spreadsheet maker.

2) Devise a system that made it fair to all, bearing in mind not all of us can play it every night. So, "best x from y", or "average finishing position" weighted accordingly, or even "drop x worse scores per y Tourneys".

If there is an appetite for it, & I can get it set up as above, I'd be happy to get Sky Poker to donate a worthwhile Prize - maybe an SPT Seat, or something. 

I'll monitor this Thread, & if there is enough interest, I'll get to work, & set it up.

Over to you..... 

Comments

• edited November 2010
    You start a league AFTER I win one pffft ;)
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: Anyone fancy a TSP Classic League?:
    You start a league AFTER I win one pffft ;)
    Posted by BrownnDog
    Exactly.

Anyway, if I run it, I'll disqualify you. You run too good.
  • edited November 2010
    doubt this will go down with well, personally if it means a SPT seat i may give it go and see how i get on. Played the odd one but cant make em most days would prefer if was average and say you have to play at least once a week or something along that lines
  • edited November 2010
    Would a buy-in for a decent tourny not be a better option as a prize? after all not all players can make a commitment for a few days away from the family,xxx

But the idea of this league DOES sound very gd indeed
  • edited November 2010
    Would a buy-in for a decent tourny not be a better option as a prize? after all not all players can make a commitment for a few days away from the family,xxx But the idea of this league DOES sound very gd indeed
    Posted by debdobs_67
    Possibly. I'm just throwing it out there for comment & feedback. I've also done a lot of work with others to come up with "fair" ways to run it.

This is a personal initiative, not one from Sky Poker, so if it gets positive feedback, I can do it, without seeking permission from upstairs. If it does not, I won't.

So far, the reception seems positively lukewarm, though perhaps it's too early to judge. 
  • edited November 2010

I played it last night and think it is a great little tourney with the 10 min blinds. It fits in well with the re-jig of all the 8pm tourney's with the longer blind levels. Great changes BTW - thanks.

But for me it starts too late. If it started at 9pm like the Open used to (that was the classic time ;-)) then great - I'll sign up.  

Why not move it alongside the 9pm re-buy that so many people seem to moan about (but not me as I also love the re-buys (and the BH's (and the deepstacks..........)))?

Cheers,

Ian

• edited November 2010
    Good idea TK.

I think that the 9pm idea that Doudeau makes ia a valid one.  I think the tournie finishes around 1.30-2am and if people have work in the morning then that might put them off.  OFC it doesn't bother a degen like me ofc, you could put it on at 3am and I'll be there.

But yeah in general the TSP Classic is probably the best change in the tournie schedule that Sky have made so far so well done guys!
  • edited November 2010
    +1 to 9pm  idea suits me better
  • edited November 2010
    Great idea Gramps, having a league will surely attract the runners, tbh could not give a stuff about the prize - Bragging Rights FTW!!

Side note : a big +1 to Scotty's suggestion of it being made 9pm instead of 10pm!!
  • edited November 2010
    Great idea Gramps, having a league will surely attract the runners, tbh could not give a stuff about the prize - Bragging Rights FTW!! Side note : a big +1 to Scotty's suggestion of it being made 9pm instead of 10pm!!
    Posted by dylan12

+1
  • edited November 2010

league and 9.pm start ftw
  • edited November 2010
    yeah 10pm too late for me 9pm would suit better.
  • edited November 2010

ok im in too not sure how many i can play a week but ill give it try see how things  turn out
    i like value for my cash so if its a decent prize  sure go for it tikay m8

• edited November 2010
    im interested.
  • edited November 2010
    I like the sound of this:) 9 am is deffo a better time too, im sure it would attract more players if it started at that time, but this league is a very good idea!
  • edited November 2010
    20.00 or 20.30 for me 21.00 is a push as im up at 05.00 for work.but yh gd idea tk im up for it.del
  • edited November 2010
    I wd be interested in entering the league as I have played most so far although the late finish doesn't effect me as I never get past the first break.  I think it wd need to run over a month or four weeks with maybe top ten finishes counting.  I think it has struggled to get the guarantee most night and failed on a couple of ocassions and so the 9.00 sugeestion wd deffo see the numbers rise.  This league is alternative to drive the numbers up, good effort.
  • edited November 2010
    I wd be interested in entering the league as I have played most so far although the late finish doesn't effect me as I never get past the first break.  I think it wd need to run over a month or four weeks with maybe top ten finishes counting.  I think it has struggled to get the guarantee most night and failed on a couple of ocassions and so the 9.00 sugeestion wd deffo see the numbers rise.  This league is alternative to drive the numbers up, good effort.
    Posted by SoLack
    All noted, Solly.

For the record, it has run 6 times, & it has exceeded the Guarantee on 4 occasions out of those 6. It needs 200 to "cover". The other 2 times it got, iirc, 197 & 181. Last night was the 181, which, I confess, was a surprise & a disappointment, although the Site was slightly less busy last night than the previous 6 or 7 nights.

It's too early to make a judgement on it, really. I just thought it might be a grand idea to run a League based upon it, as it plays so well. It's not a Company-inspired idea, it was my idea, & I'd happily put up the prize, because I just enjoy fun poker, & leagues.

Personally, I don't see it moving forward to 9pm, though, it's 10pm for a reason. But they might consider an alternative version, at 9pm, who knows?

PS - K-J is the absolute nuts, right?
  • edited November 2010
    I volunteer to be the reliable one who prepares spreadsheets each day. As long as meregeek or someone can e-mail me a template i should be fine!

I used to run a 22 deepstack league before but i cant find my template on excel...

• edited November 2010
    I volunteer to be the reliable one who prepares spreadsheets each day. As long as meregeek or someone can e-mail me a template i should be fine! I used to run a 22 deepstack league before but i cant find my template on excel...
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    Very kind of you Hoggers thank you, but I have a volunteer for that already.

I also have a variety of ways of running it, all primed & ready to go.

I'm just trying to gauge interest right now, it makes no sense to do it unless we can get 40 or 50 to show interest.

The "interest" so far has been more towards moving it to 9pm, which is outwith my remit really, & not a debate I had intended to spark.

It was just a whim, really, spur-of-the-moment stuff, it seemed worth proposing. You never know, it might yet happen.

We shall see in due course. If I do it, I'd ideally like to do it for a 4 week period, & before Christmas. 
  • edited November 2010
    Thanks for the quick reply TK, I am with youi on this and was also disappointed at the turn out last night.

Didn't you have an epic fail in running the £22 deepie league Hogman?

Don't trust anyone Tottenham to run it imo boss.
  • edited November 2010
    Thanks for the quick reply TK, I am with youi on this and was also disappointed at the turn out last night. Didn't you have an epic fail in running the £22 deepie league Hogman? Don't trust anyone Tottenham to run it imo boss .
    Posted by SoLack
    My thoughts exactly Solly, I was just being diplomatic.......

As to last night's field, yeah, it really surprised me, as the Tourney is so good, & the numbers last week were above 200 for 4 nights out of 5, I sort of expected it would grow organically.

Maybe it was a one-off, time will tell.
  • edited November 2010
    Thanks for the quick reply TK, I am with youi on this and was also disappointed at the turn out last night. Didn't you have an epic fail in running the £22 deepie league Hogman? Don't trust anyone Tottenham to run it imo boss .
    Posted by SoLack
    Nope there just didnt seem to be any real interest and there was no prize. i kept it going for about 6 weeks and posted the results daily.

Spurs fans are great at organising things... like the champions league winners party at the end of the season:)
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: Anyone fancy a TSP Classic League? : Nope there just didnt seem to be any real interest and there was no prize. i kept it going for about 6 weeks and posted the results daily. Spurs fans are great at organising things... like the champions league winners party at the end of the season:)
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    nice geasture towards man u, spurs supporters must be top peeps!
  • edited November 2010
    As this is one i CAN afford, i would most def be interested, it adds to the fun, makes one try harder(not that you wouldnt anyway) and 10pm isnt a problem for me as i work from home and can get up at whatever time i like (which i do frequently lol)
    It would need to work over an average because not everyone can play everynight, (me inc) but another great idea from TK!!

I think a big thanks to greghogg is in order as hes volunteered to keep scores.
  • edited November 2010
    I'd love a league :)

• edited November 2010
    Yep like the league idea and 9pm start too.
  • edited November 2010
    I like the idea of a league, although I can only play on Thursdays and Fridays due to work.

• edited November 2010
    As this is one i CAN afford, i would most def be interested, it adds to the fun, makes one try harder(not that you wouldnt anyway) and 10pm isnt a problem for me as i work from home and can get up at whatever time i like (which i do frequently lol) It would need to work over an average because not everyone can play everynight, (me inc) but another great idea from TK!! I think a big thanks to greghogg is in order as hes volunteered to keep scores.
    Posted by major1962
    ty but my offer was declined due to a mystery volunteer beating me to it. Oh and my choice of football team affected it too apparently, i think this was the deciding factor:) I will obv offer to be a "back-up" should any issues arise during the course of the league...
  • edited November 2010
    Any time any place I'M GAME !!