You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

playing suited connectors

edited November 2010 in The Poker Clinic
Hi guys & gals,

So suited connectors...... erm is this an example of a good way to play or not, i have very little confidence in playing them so advice would be great - despite this hand being 3 handed i would have played it the same 6 handed.

button raise pre correct? or am i trying to see a cheap as flop as possible despite position?

The cbet i see as pretty standard due to repping the king after my raise, but i also wanted a free card on the turn - which i got. This a good example of playing them or am i needing to change my ways?
Chisholm78 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £3.04
40ROYALS Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £1.50
  Your hole cards

tapeworm Raise  £0.16 £0.22 £3.89
Chisholm78 Fold     
40ROYALS Call  £0.12 £0.34 £1.38
Flop

• K

40ROYALS Check     
tapeworm Bet  £0.17 £0.51 £3.72
40ROYALS Call  £0.17 £0.68 £1.21
Turn

40ROYALS Check     
tapeworm Check     
River

40ROYALS Bet  £0.12 £0.80 £1.09
tapeworm Fold     
40ROYALS Muck     
40ROYALS Win  £0.63  £1.72
40ROYALS Return  £0.12

Comments

• edited November 2010

I like your play in general, pre flop is good, I would c-bet higher on the flop generally and once you pick up the flush draw on the turn you should certainly bet again. imho

• edited November 2010
    Preflop raise is fine when its folded to you, and way better than the limp most at that buying would do. Cbet on the flop is a little light. Half pot as a minimum really as a cbet I'd say. When you pick up the flush and gutshot straight you should definatelly fire again for me. Some would argue about taking th efree card thats on offer, but if you don't hit on the river, which obviously happens you have opened up a chance for villian to fire a bluff at you because you showed some weakness on the turn. So in this situation I think certainly a double barrel, and maybe even triple barrel if the river didn't bring a heart and villian checked again..

Some of that is dependant on what sort of villian you are up against. If its a calling station that calls you down with anything then of course the above is not wise and a lot at this level will be this type of player, so care of course is wise.. I'd still at least fire flop and turn here.
  • edited November 2010
    as stated pefect pre although i find 20p more sucsessful.

More on flop and fire turn.
  • edited November 2010
    Yep all has been said already,a raise in an unraised pot OR a call if it has been raised and you want to see a flop.As played imo you should have bet the turn.
  • edited November 2010
    Thanks for the answers. I can see the reason to fire again on the turn, but at this level im getting called if my oppo has taken any peice of this board most the time.

Im 100% sure you guys are correct, but so i can understand the reasoning behind it, why would this play be more profitable than checking the free card if I think im gonna get called alot at this level?
  • edited November 2010

Happy with the pre flop raise, although could be a bit more. You need to give a thought as to what you want the other players think you hold. Would you make the same bet with AA? On the other hand why raise if you want to see the flop cheaply? 

As for the flop, you’ve got no help and the King is screaming for a bet, from one of you, as specially as there’s now a flush draw.

If the other guy is drawing, the bet has to be big enough for him to fold. Unfortunately at this level, it’s usually getting called. That said, a pot size bet should make it look like you have the king and want to take the pot down there and then.

You get a little help from the turn, as he’s missed the hearts and your now drawing for a diamond. If your holding anything, such a king or pp in this position what would you now be thinking? Get him out of the pot, yes? He’s flat called so far, so a pot size bet, should send a clear message that you have the goods and if he wants to carry on it going to cost him. If he folds you take the pot, he calls you build the pot for a possible diamond.

Obviously, on the river you need to revaluate. He’s now taking control and comes out representing the flush, so it’s a defo fold.

Mac

• edited November 2010
    too be honest at these micro stakes you shouldnt really be worrying how to play suited connectors, just chuck em in the muck! a simple tight aggressive style should be more than enough to be able to crush these levels as the standard of opponent is so bad.