You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Any thoughts on this please would be most grateful. AA vs 97 offsuit!

edited November 2010 in The Poker Clinic
Did i just get unlucky again or is it safe to call a 4 times bigblind raise with 97 off suit? answers on a postcard please! :)

PADDAS
Small blind  300.00 300.00 3137.50
DEANDOG Big blind  600.00 900.00 215.00
  Your hole cards
  • A
  • A

simons08 Call  600.00 1500.00 13755.00
melbach27 Fold     
Msflicky Raise  3000.00 4500.00 6737.50
OnlyOneCT Fold     
PADDAS Fold     
DEANDOG Fold     
simons08 Call  2400.00 6900.00 11355.00
Flop

• K

simons08 All-in  11355.00 18255.00 0.00
Msflicky All-in  6737.50 24992.50 0.00
simons08 Unmatched bet  4617.50 20375.00 4617.50
simons08 Show

Msflicky Show
  • A
  • A

Turn

River

• Q

simons08 Win Three 9s 20375.00  24992.50

Comments

• ybyb
    edited November 2010
    learn to dodge outs better
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: Any thoughts on this please would be most grateful. AA vs 97 offsuit!:
    Posted by yb
    Thats almost an impossible task the underdog always hits on here !!
    Lost count how many times this kind of stuff happens on these tables, one card to come, 2 outs....and boom there it is. 4 tourneys in a row yesterday.. unlucky msflicky. Again .
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: Any thoughts on this please would be most grateful. AA vs 97 offsuit!:
    Posted by yb
    thanks for your comment vb!  statistically what are the odds then?
  • edited November 2010
    Posted by yb
    Have found out the percentages:

preflop i was 82.94% favourite leaving simons 16.74% and the remaining % split pot.

on the flop:  79.39% to me Msflicky -

bingo or not its bloody unlucky countless times

• edited November 2010

all in pre ;) ur stack v blind v raise means ur commited

• edited November 2010

Dont let your hair go pink
  • edited November 2010
    You didn't do anything wrong and got all your chips in the middle while well ahead, this is exactly where you want to be whether you win or lose.

OK, so you got outdrawn this time, it's annoying, but that's poker and you can leave the tournament with your pride intact knowing you played a good game. Getting it all-in in situations like this is very desirable and will bring you sucess in the long run.

This isn't really a strategy question, more of a bad beat moan TBH.
  • edited November 2010
    OMG welcome to the forum both Misflicky and Kobba, other then GaryQQQ & Don everyone just taking the mick, basically this is very clear bad beat you have done nothing wrong also wouldnt shove pre don this is exactly what you want you have done the odds and played to perfection. reason they put dodge outs etc is because this is for strategy and this is clearest bad beat ever

anyways still post hands just not bad beats or if you priced them in with their any 2

good luck at the tables
  • edited November 2010
    OMG welcome to the forum both Misflicky and Kobba, other then GaryQQQ & Don everyone just taking the mick, basically this is very clear bad beat you have done nothing wrong also wouldnt shove pre don this is exactly what you want you have done the odds and played to perfection. reason they put dodge outs etc is because this is for strategy and this is clearest bad beat ever anyways still post hands just not bad beats or if you priced them in with their any 2 good luck at the tables
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    Young gun no disrespet here, but look at stack sizes if the flop comes KKQ or similar, we're commited nd thats a flop that hits opponents ranges big, usually.
  • edited November 2010
    Dont let your hair go pink
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Dohhhhhhh! cheers ;)
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: Any thoughts on this please would be most grateful. AA vs 97 offsuit! : Young gun no disrespet here, but look at stack sizes if the flop comes KKQ or similar, we're commited nd thats a flop that hits opponents ranges big, usually.
    Posted by The_Don90

Thanks for responses Don - Young Gun and GaryQQQ.  I will take them on board and would have probably considered folding if the flop had come down KKQ.  The game goes on!  
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: Any thoughts on this please would be most grateful. AA vs 97 offsuit! : Young gun no disrespet here, but look at stack sizes if the flop comes KKQ or similar, we're commited nd thats a flop that hits opponents ranges big, usually.
    Posted by The_Don90
    Is this serious? We have like 9k+ at 3/600.

With a hand as strong as Aces why on erf would you want just 900 in chips? You want them to hit some piece of the flop.

In fact I think the preflop raise size is disgusting (I would be making it 1800 MAX) but somehow it gets called by 9 7o. 

In the end obv we get it in good, happens.
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: Any thoughts on this please would be most grateful. AA vs 97 offsuit! : Is this serious? We have like 9k+ at 3/600. With a hand as strong as Aces why on erf would you want just 900 in chips? You want them to hit some piece of the flop. In fact I think the preflop raise size is disgusting (I would be making it 1800 MAX) but somehow it gets called by 9 7o.  In the end obv we get it in good, happens.
    Posted by pryce6

Sorry don only just seen reply above has put it perfectly better then i would but same
  • edited November 2010
    It's unlucky in the end but you are so lucky to get that massive raise called. Why raise it so much with such a strong holding?. After that it is just the swings of luck and chance that do you in i'm afraid. You get an all in call with the best of it and get sucked out on. Better luck next time
  • edited November 2010
      What you have here is the standard thing that affects all poker players and that is selective memory.As you know on that flop you were about 80% favourite which means that you will lose 1 in 5 of these situations.As players we tend to forget the 4 times out of 5 that our hand holds up because we were ahead and had the god given right to win, but that 1 in five times always sticks in our memories because they hurt so much especially if they are a tourny exit hand. Unfortunately these things happen and we just have to deal with them. As to the reason for his call i would say that was more down to his stack size rather than his hand. Big stacks can feel invincible at times and believe they can win every hand and bust everyone out.

Feel free to keep posting and asking questions in the forum and may the poker gods let you win all your 80/20s
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: Any thoughts on this please would be most grateful. AA vs 97 offsuit! : Is this serious? We have like 9k+ at 3/600. With a hand as strong as Aces why on erf would you want just 900 in chips? You want them to hit some piece of the flop. In fact I think the preflop raise size is disgusting (I would be making it 1800 MAX) but somehow it gets called by 9 7o.  In the end obv we get it in good, happens.
    Posted by pryce6
    i get what you say pryce6 but surely the reason for raisin so big is so that cack hands like 97 off suit dont luck out on you.  maybe i will try limping next time see what happens.
  • edited November 2010
      What you have here is the standard thing that affects all poker players and that is selective memory.As you know on that flop you were about 80% favourite which means that you will lose 1 in 5 of these situations.As players we tend to forget the 4 times out of 5 that our hand holds up because we were ahead and had the god given right to win, but that 1 in five times always sticks in our memories because they hurt so much especially if they are a tourny exit hand. Unfortunately these things happen and we just have to deal with them. As to the reason for his call i would say that was more down to his stack size rather than his hand. Big stacks can feel invincible at times and believe they can win every hand and bust everyone out.   Feel free to keep posting and asking questions in the forum and may the poker gods let you win all your 80/20s
    Posted by Talon
    thank you for taking the time to respond Talon.  Good luck to you too x
  • edited November 2010
    It's unlucky in the end but you are so lucky to get that massive raise called. Why raise it so much with such a strong holding?. After that it is just the swings of luck and chance that do you in i'm afraid. You get an all in call with the best of it and get sucked out on. Better luck next time
    Posted by ACESOVER8s
    makes sense.   its all experience i guess thanks for your reply.  Good luck to you too x
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: Any thoughts on this please would be most grateful. AA vs 97 offsuit! : Thats almost an impossible task the underdog always hits on here !! Lost count how many times this kind of stuff happens on these tables, one card to come, 2 outs....and boom there it is. 4 tourneys in a row yesterday.. unlucky msflicky. Again .
    Posted by KOBBA
    thanks Kobba - it does seem to happen alot especially if you have been betting the streets (if that is the correct term) and keep getting called with nothing till the river!  Good luck to you x
  • ybyb
    edited November 2010
    Don't you like getting your money in as an 80% favourite then?

I never understand people who stay stuff like 'I raised big so that he wouldn't call with cack hands', its like you only want to get called by better hands that obv have much more chance of winning against you. You get to print money from calls such as these. Happy days.