You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

a plan to play this hand leads to wrong opponent raising me, however what do you guys think

edited November 2010 in The Poker Clinic
Ok i had a little discussion with Greg after this and as you can see from my other thread i had a little history of bluffing against him when he caught my bet on river. My origional plan was to show enough weakness for Phil to shove on BB, however Hoggers made the 3-bet and ruined that plan. Anyways i went on with my plan to get it all in pre here. - Opinions please.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
GREGHOGG Small blind  50.00 50.00 3835.00
phil12uk Big blind  100.00 150.00 1440.00
  Your hole cards

The_Don90 Raise  200.00 350.00 3340.00
Ozzie08 Fold     
stapes34 Fold     
QDMCGRAW Fold     
GREGHOGG Raise  700.00 1050.00 3135.00
phil12uk Fold     
The_Don90 All-in  3340.00 4390.00 0.00

Comments

• edited November 2010

You had min raised utg a couple of times before and phil had folded so i suspected you were weaker and might fold preflop. I would have been happy to add to my stack and get a fold pre but I do have to have a hand to raise here btw. When you 4 bet i had a decision but i decided i would be at best racing, so i folded. I am also very prepared to lead out nearly all flops if you only flat pre.

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceGREGHOGG Small blind  50.00 50.00 3835.00 phil12uk Big blind  100.00 150.00 1440.00   Your hole cards 8 8       The_Don90 Raise  200.00 350.00 3340.00 Ozzie08 Fold     stapes34 Fold     QDMCGRAW Fold     GREGHOGG Raise  700.00 1050.00 3135.00 phil12uk Fold     The_Don90 All-in  3340.00 4390.00 0.00 GREGHOGG Fold     The_Don90 Muck     The_Don90 Win  1600.00  1600.00 The_Don90 Return  2790.00 0.00 4390.00

What do people think of this way of playing the 88 here?

EDIT. i think your play was v risky here fwiw.

• edited November 2010
    im glad you posted you end of this hand aswell mate. I think it will add to discussion. In all honesty i had wanted it to be phil v me all in pre, but you obv have a had and see ive raised a few times UTG, and i also know that you know im capable of raising with rags in this posistion. This also went through my head, and if i think your at it you may still call above some range.
  • edited November 2010
    Just keep things standard. 

Just because you're playing players who you perceive to be at a higher level than you, there's no need to try and play like Ivey to beat them.

Open for 300/350.

Phil will be 3 bet shoving a range of hands here, and I don't think your raise size changes this range at all. (Unless you do something stupid and open for half his stack)

What made u think Phil was going to shove even if Greg folds?

Pocket 9s under the gun isn't the time or the place to be getting smart. 

Remember these guys here are top MTT players, but he basis of a good mtt game, is to do the basics well.

Once Hoggers 3 bets it's a fold for me. Although for the 2nd time in 2 days I don't like the way Greg played the hand either! It's a call to see a flop, or a raise with the intention of stacking off imo.
  • edited November 2010
    min raising UTG does not show weakness.

Greg nice fold with your image you are either racing or crushed.  IMO its a pretty bad play to be raising OOP vs an UTG min raise...with 88 and 30+BB deep I'd flat and hope to flop a set.
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: a plan to play this hand leads to wrong opponent raising me, however what do you guys think:
    min raising UTG does not show weakness. Greg nice fold with your image you are either racing or crushed.  IMO its a pretty bad play to be raising OOP vs an UTG min raise...with 88 and 30+BB deep I'd flat and hope to flop a set.
    Posted by scotty77
    You will hate this, but at least i found out where i was by 3 betting pre:)

If i flat and the flop comes 7 high or even 10 high, i could lose more chips than the 700 raise pre. And i could also win pots that i should not be entitled to by leading out properly on a lot of flops!

And min raising utg does not always show strength imo.

But yes, its clearly not good play if both you and dohhhhhh are in agreement. I really need to study my game again, lost a lot of confidence so a long break is imminent.
  • ybyb
    edited November 2010
    I'd probably make it ~275-300 with 99 utg.

Greg you should only 3bet 88 here if you're happy to get the stacks in pre. Raising for value then folding to a shove 30bbs deep is pretty bad (as is raising to ask questions lol!) Also make the 3bet a bit smaller if you want to raise imo. Hope you come back refreshed after your break, I'm sure you'll be winning stuff again in no time :)

Gl
  • edited November 2010
    If i flat and the flop comes 7 high or even 10 high, i could lose more chips than the 700 raise pre. And i could also win pots that i should not be entitled to by leading out properly on a lot of flops!

if you do flat and get a flop like that you can always donk out and 'ask your question' as well imo.
  • edited November 2010
    Raise to 300 pre, no point min raising. other then that fine imo although if your shoving you gotta be willing to race in this spot gregs bet does represent some strength there could easily have AK and play that way

Greg i think you played fine imo no point set mining here so like the raise and on the face of it good fold, again could be racing or crushed well played
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: a plan to play this hand leads to wrong opponent raising me, however what do you guys think:
    Raise to 300 pre, no point min raising. other then that fine imo although if your shoving you gotta be willing to race in this spot gregs bet does represent some strength there could easily have AK and play that way Greg i think you played fine imo no point set mining here so like the raise and on the face of it good fold, again could be racing or crushed well played
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    yea, i was more than willing to race. Id lost a race early on that in honesty i shouldnt have taken in multiballs 2 and id won one to develop my stack in this one, again one early i shouldnt have taken. But in this situation against the amount of times people where 3-betting me i was happy to go over the top and take a flip if im called. And in honesty since i wanted phil in it, i think that shows i was willing to flip too,