You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Value bet this river?

edited November 2010 in The Poker Clinic
As played do you think i should be looking to value town this river?
I have no notes on the player and i can't really put her on a hand throughout with the check calling, was very confused lol.

Any comments on how i played it in general are welcome of course.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
Silverfin Sit out        
christiann
Small blind   £0.05 £0.05 £23.33
ripdajaker Big blind   £0.10 £0.15 £9.36
  Your hole cards
  • A
  • A

x Call   £0.10 £0.25 £15.29
cashpoi163 Fold        
x Raise   £0.35 £0.60 £22.98
ripdajaker Fold        
x Call   £0.30 £0.90 £14.99
Flop

• J

christiann Bet   £0.68 £1.58 £22.30
x Call   £0.68 £2.26 £14.31
Turn

christiann
Bet   £1.90 £4.16 £20.40
x Call   £1.90 £6.06 £12.41

Comments

• edited November 2010
    Oops sorry, the river is the 8 of diamonds!
  • edited November 2010
    you're up against a jack, a missed flushdraw, and on veryyyyyyyyyyy rare occasions u wud have gotten super unlucky and she has 8x of spades.

U need to size your value bet to get called by a jack.. If u didnt have it, she cud have A x of spades, so u cud bet abit smaller hoping for a call from ace high once the board double pairs....

I would definitely value bet, and expect someone with a jack to pay £3.40ish!.
  • edited November 2010
    agree with Doh.  Anything between 3/4 quid is fine
  • edited November 2010
    am i the only idiot in this world who check/calls that river. Surley a busted flush draw/J bets out here.
  • edited November 2010
    I'd suggest that if he bets don he's more likely to have the 8s in his hand than a busted draw on a double paired board where you could easily call with ace high.
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: Value bet this river?:
    am i the only idiot in this world who check/calls that river. Surley a busted flush draw/J bets out here.
    Posted by The_Don90
    A busted fd with an ace has showdown equity.  A weak jack would be happy to check.  A pocket pair < Jacks would be happy to check.  All of these hands could/would have called to river and nearly all would call a value bet.
  • edited November 2010
    I'd suggest that if he bets don he's more likely to have the 8s in his hand than a busted draw on a double paired board where you could easily call with ace high.
    Posted by beaneh
    yea although isnt this exactly what the J wants a call from?
  • edited November 2010
    I thought along the same lines as you i suppose Dohhh, thought maybe she was just calling down with a jack, pretty much knew she had better when she raised the river but i cried and called.
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    Silverfin Sit out        
    christiann Small blind   £0.05 £0.05 £23.33
    ripdajaker Big blind   £0.10 £0.15 £9.36
      Your hole cards
    • A
    • A

x Call   £0.10 £0.25 £15.29
    cashpoi163 Fold        
    christiann Raise   £0.35 £0.60 £22.98
    ripdajaker Fold        
    x Call   £0.30 £0.90 £14.99
    Flop

• J

christiann Bet   £0.68 £1.58 £22.30
    x Call   £0.68 £2.26 £14.31
    Turn

christiann Bet   £1.90 £4.16 £20.40
    x Call   £1.90 £6.06 £12.41
    River

christiann Bet   £4.60 £10.66 £15.80
    x Raise   £9.20 £19.86 £3.21
    christiann Call   £4.60 £24.46 £11.20
    x Show

christiann Muck
    • A
    • A

x Win Four 4s £23.06   £26.27
  • edited November 2010
    like everything about how you played it with the sole exception of calling that river bet- the only thing it has going for it is paying for some information on your opponent because that minraise on the river is a bluff around 0% of the time. You are absolutely 100% beaten there every single time, so it doesn't matter what value you're getting to call- I don't think it's ever good.

However, an extra 4.60 to get some accurate notes on a hand by your opponent could be a worthwhile investment I guess :)
  • edited November 2010
    like everything about how you played it with the sole exception of calling that river bet- the only thing it has going for it is paying for some information on your opponent because that minraise on the river is a bluff around 0% of the time. You are absolutely 100% beaten there every single time, so it doesn't matter what value you're getting to call- I don't think it's ever good. However, an extra 4.60 to get some accurate notes on a hand by your opponent could be a worthwhile investment I guess :)
    Posted by DeucesLive

Ha cheers Deuces, yeah i knew i wasn't ahead but i do that alot call just incase or to make sure lol, suppose its an area of my game i should modify!
  • edited November 2010
    i would bet smaller on river