You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

found a good cash fish good start to the day

ckdckd
edited November 2010 in The Poker Clinic

i went on a 4p 8p cash table and found that player every1 wants to find

raises up on junk every time 

sat down with 2 quid and got a double up within a few hands from him 

last hand i had 8h7d he raised to 40p i called due to his play

flop come 9h 5h ks

he bets 98p      im thinking he any 2 as usuall so i call

turn 6h so i hit my straight  he goes all in i call   he shows kc 3c

river comes 7h  for my straight flush

after the hand finnished he was calling me a donk a fish and everything else

i feel i played it well   with the fact of the hands be4 what he was playing  

was i right to call him

Comments

• ckdckd
    edited November 2010
     why was it not right

this player was raising with any 2 all the way throught it so to me it was the right call but if not id like to know y it wasent
  • edited November 2010
    first of all sit down with the maximum.

87o is a junk hand.  'you called due to his play'  no you called cos you was getting frustrated and wanted to hit.  did you seriously expect 87o to be ahead here?  i don't know.

flop we have a gutshot, we ahvea  3.50 stack and £1 to call to hit our gutshot.  assuming all outs are clean then we are paying roughly 2/1 to hit an 11/1 shot.  on the flop it will be far better to go all in, at least we give ourselves 2 chances to win the hand.  and if he has been playing as mental as you say, then most of the time he has Q6o and will fold.

once we hit then ok get it in.

• ybyb
    edited November 2010
    What scotty said.

Calling to hit a gutshot because the villain is playing any two makes no sense. 8 high is never good so all that matters is whether you were getting the right price to hit your draw, which you weren't.
  • edited November 2010
    Would you have called on 10nl or higher? if not, there's your answer. As loose as this guy is, you don't know what he's holding. Which from his point is always good.  There's a number of players that drop down to these levels, and play very loose to encourage  such bad calls. Although you got lucky, in the long run its going to cost you.

On a separate note, i personally don't like to pick out the way someone plays. If they read your post, it highlights the leaks or how bad their game is. Which will only encourage them to play better next time you meet.

Good Luck

Mac

• edited November 2010
    In Response to found a good cash fish good start to the day:
     i went on a 4p 8p cash table and found that player every1 wants to find  raises up on junk every time   sat down with 2 quid and got a double up within a few hands from him   last hand i had 8h7d he raised to 40p i called due to his play  flop come 9h 5h ks  he bets 98p      im thinking he any 2 as usuall so i call  turn 6h so i hit my straight  he goes all in i call   he shows kc 3c  river comes 7h  for my straight flush  after the hand finnished he was calling me a donk a fish and everything else  i feel i played it well   with the fact of the hands be4 what he was playing    was i right to call him
    Posted by ckd
    It's not wrong, you can do as you please. You were 23.74% to win on that flop. What do you reckon ? If Dwan does it it's a genius move. Ultimately i think it's fine if you don't moan if you lose the hand.
    Great avatar btw. Are you a monk, assassin or both ?
  • ckdckd
    edited November 2010

ty all for your input

i dont play much cash on here so all of it helps

i just thought with the way he was playing i was in good shape

seen him push all in with 24o 35o all in with 23o

i called the folp bet thinking if i hit 7 8 6 i would be good might even be good with 8 high ( i know it sounds silly 8 high but as i said above 24o 35o 23o ) the reason i didnt push all in was i didnt want him to fold

i had about 7 quid at the time and they had about 2 so i was happy for the gamble with it i think

ty again for the input and gl at the tables all
  • ckdckd
    edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: found a good cash fish good start to the day:
    In Response to found a good cash fish good start to the day : It's not wrong, you can do as you please. You were 23.74% to win on that flop. What do you reckon ? If Dwan does it it's a genius move. Ultimately i think it's fine if you don't moan if you lose the hand. Great avatar btw. Are you a monk, assassin or both ?
    Posted by shelski
    lol ty
  • edited November 2010
    ckd as scotty said; little note if you tighten up against any 2 players you will stack them more. you were incredibly lucky that hand and i agree you played it like a donk(no offense) calling 5 x bb 78 off against anyone is bad

still you learn from posting so take note good luck at the tables

also like the avatar :P
  • edited November 2010
    I dont mind the call pre actually as ive seen that lots of times even at the high stakes level BUT the call on the flop is defo awful and a BIG loser in the long run,xxx
  • edited November 2010
     ty all for your input  i dont play much cash on here so all of it helps  i just thought with the way he was playing i was in good shape  seen him push all in with 24o 35o all in with 23o  i called the folp bet thinking if i hit 7 8 6 i would be good might even be good with 8 high ( i know it sounds silly 8 high but as i said above 24o 35o 23o ) the reason i didnt push all in was i didnt want him to fold i had about 7 quid at the time and they had about 2 so i was happy for the gamble with it i think ty again for the input and gl at the tables all
    Posted by ckd
    U had 8 high and u didnt want him to fold????
    If 8 high is a hand you are happy to play/bet for value, then almost every single hand you're gona have 8 high or better, so I think we can let this one go, and wait for a better spot, maybe ten high....or jack high to make sure.
  • edited November 2010
    I dont mind the call pre actually as ive seen that lots of times even at the high stakes level BUT the call on the flop is defo awful and a BIG loser in the long run,xxx
    Posted by debdobs_67
    no decent high stakes reg is gonna be calling with 78o shallow stacked
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: found a good cash fish good start to the day : no decent high stakes reg is gonna be calling with 78o shallow stacked
    Posted by scotty77
    Then my guess is ive been watching the not decent ones then ;o) xxx
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: found a good cash fish good start to the day : U had 8 high and u didnt want him to fold???? If 8 high is a hand you are happy to play/bet for value, then almost every single hand you're gona have 8 high or better, so I think we can let this one go, and wait for a better spot, maybe ten high....or jack high to make sure.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    looooooooool

sorry ckd but the kids got a point
  • ckdckd
    edited November 2010

all fair comments ty

usally would fold it  maybe i did play it bad but it was just down to the way the other player was playing i thought i was in with a shot

again ty all for your input on this     gives a chance to learn so ty
  • edited November 2010
     all fair comments ty  usally would fold it  maybe i did play it bad but it was just down to the way the other player was playing i thought i was in with a shot  again ty all for your input on this     gives a chance to learn so ty
    Posted by ckd
    Hey mate all LOLing aside.

Dont try to play the player at these levels, they just suck in general. Play the cards keep it simple.

P.S. I also fall into this trap countless times, thats why i can go bust so easily. Tilt is such a wounderful thing. Also start full stacked, i remember our HU the other day, yes your a good short stacker, but think of the money you could make if every time you double up you get 100BI's ;)
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: found a good cash fish good start to the day : Then my guess is ive been watching the not decent ones then ;o) xxx
    Posted by debdobs_67
    I'm not sure who you've been watching but the call pf was terrible, the trn call was shocking and yes it was the play of a donk. In response to the earlier post referencing Dwan, he doesn't play 2p/4p, he's playing deep stack poker and most importantly he's a genius and knows where he is in a hand better than most on the planet.
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: found a good cash fish good start to the day : I'm not sure who you've been watching but the call pf was terrible, the trn call was shocking and yes it was the play of a donk. In response to the earlier post referencing Dwan, he doesn't play 2p/4p, he's playing deep stack poker and most importantly he's a genius and knows where he is in a hand better than most on the planet.
    Posted by stien
    Haha if only i WAS allowed to tell you eh? tbh ive seen it at nearly every level and i am sure YOU have probably seen it as well,xxx
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: found a good cash fish good start to the day : I'm not sure who you've been watching but the call pf was terrible, the trn call was shocking and yes it was the play of a donk. In response to the earlier post referencing Dwan, he doesn't play 2p/4p, he's playing deep stack poker and most importantly he's a genius and knows where he is in a hand better than most on the planet.
    Posted by stien
    Quite possibly so. However i saw him call a re- re-raise all in once with 7-8 os on a board of 3-4-5 rainbow against pocket 9's. Turn and river 6-6. Genius metagame bluff with outs , maybe forcing fold on polarised board went wrong then pot odds with the overs ! ?
    In a way this hand reminded me of that one from about a year ago. 2p/4p or $200/400. Poker is a weird game.
    I mean in this hand ckd's opponent was happy all in with tp 3k. Ckd knew he was full of it which was correct. Good read ? I think that ckd was involved in a play the person trap. Sometimes poker gets like this. I've been sucked in a few times. Not saying it's right at all but i understand it. Calling off bets with outs to the nuts when NOT getting the correct odds can be important against certain people sometimes.
    I think in this instance, if you want to play sick puppy head game poker then ckd played better than Dwan. At least he could fold the turn if he missed or didn't pick up a better draw.
    Ckd was trying to win. That is really important. But, OBV. he got lucky and got paid. Just like Dwan did. Know what i mean ?
  • edited November 2010
    Has everyone missed that he flopped a straight flush draw here?
    Wake up peoples!  :)
  • edited November 2010
    Has everyone missed that he flopped a straight flush draw here? Wake up peoples!  :)
    Posted by cottlad
    Added value, yes !
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: found a good cash fish good start to the day : An orford str8 flush draw perhaps ?
    Posted by shelski
    What's an Orford SFD?
  • edited November 2010
    He means Orford STD surely? ;-)
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: found a good cash fish good start to the day : What's an Orford SFD?
    Posted by cottlad
    Runner runner.
  • edited November 2010
    He means Orford STD surely? ;-)
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    Don't start trouble with this cat again you vicious WUM. I still remember the 9-7 os !!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: found a good cash fish good start to the day : Runner runner.
    Posted by shelski
    Have another read of OP
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: found a good cash fish good start to the day : Don't start trouble with this cat again you vicious WUM. I still remember the 9-7 os !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Posted by shelski

I do not remember so cant of happened lol no need to bump it, was once ever :P im such a nit lol
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: found a good cash fish good start to the day : Have another read of OP
    Posted by cottlad

he had 8h 7d

flop 9h 5h Kx
  • edited November 2010
    oh wow i checked that like 5 times to make sure i wasn't missing something lol.
    i'll get me coat!  :)
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: found a good cash fish good start to the day : Haha if only i WAS allowed to tell you eh? tbh ive seen it at nearly every level and i am sure YOU have probably seen it as well,xxx
    Posted by debdobs_67
    I'm sure you've seen the cards played at each level but not shallow stacked to call a raise pre flop, which is the point people are making. Sometimes higher up the cards will be played.... but played with a plan, Deepstacked to raise against people they see weakness in not to call raises pre with the intention to call behind...get lucky and call an all in. as far as plans go that one sucks:)