You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Hand from last nights 7.15 deepie, looking back i should have avoided stacking off, but had history

edited November 2010 in The Poker Clinic
OK this opponent called every posistion raise i made. I was happy for this as this means when i do hit it looks soo weak, so i continued to do it then i pick up KQ. The flop is a little drawy so theres no chance of me slow playing my K here.

Anyways this opponent always re-raised my c-bet. So i said to myself, and my mate who was watching via msn, i raise, he re-pops it, I SHOVE. Looking back was this, was it just a frustration shove or with the history is this the correct play.

Anyways please ignore the end result. Im just woundering if me doing this with just TPGK was really the best play. Also if i decide to just flat, how do i play it down the streets, in all honesty looking back i cant say AK or KK because of the pre flop action so my option is either 33 or 44 or 34 suited. Possibly a flush draw too. However except those 3 hands, i really do not think im behind.

Is this also the correct way to be looking at this hand?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
 Small blind  40.00 40.00 5300.00
 Big blind  80.00 120.00 9120.00
  Your hole cards
  • Q
  • K

Fold     
 Fold     
 Fold     
The_Don90 Raise  240.00 360.00 7110.00
 Fold     
 Call  160.00 520.00 8960.00
Flop

• K

Check     
The_Don90 Bet  390.00 910.00 6720.00
 Raise  1690.00 2600.00 7270.00
The_Don90 All-in  6720.00 9320.00 0.00
 Call  5420.00 14740.00 1850.00
 Show

The_Don90 Show
  • Q
  • K

Turn

River

Win Three 3s 14740.00  16590.00

Comments

• edited November 2010
    why would we shove here if we think he's 'at it'

surely flat call and look to get it in on any turn if our reads are correct
  • edited November 2010
    I think you over played top pair Q kicker tbh. (KQ is a nasty nasty hand)

Keep the pot small with the blinds the way they are at this stage, your hand can't really improve to the extent that you will get paid with this hand much. Just fold once he reraises your C bet. He raises a size that gives you a chance to fold imo.

When you say you have history? do you mean just in this tournament? (in which case its not history imo because he was probably raising you because he had the goods if the above hand is anything to go by!!) or have you played 100s of hands together previously. If the latter, i can understand the stack off more. If the former, honestly, i think you should have folded on the flop.

Stacking off with 90bbs, with just one pair, in a deepstack is almost criminal.

• edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: Hand from last nights 7.15 deepie, looking back i should have avoided stacking off, but had history with opponent - opinions please:
    I think you over played top pair Q kicker tbh. (KQ is a nasty nasty hand) Keep the pot small with the blinds the way they are at this stage, your hand can't really improve to the extent that you will get paid with this hand much. Just fold once he reraises your C bet. He raises a size that gives you a chance to fold imo. When you say you have history? do you mean just in this tournament? (in which case its not history imo because he was probably raising you because he had the goods if the above hand is anything to go by!!) or have you played 100s of hands together previously. If the latter, i can understand the stack off more. If the former, honestly, i think you should have folded on the flop. Stacking off with 90bbs, with just one pair, in a deepstack is almost criminal.
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    Hi Greg.

Thanks for the responce.

Ok so in answer to your question, im not sure, i think it was just this tournament, i had a good read on the table and of what everyone wanted too do. However this was allowing me to raise the button (any two) nearly every time. I think id raised around 14 times on the button by this stage if not more. Every single time this same opponent made this exact play.

Now im not saying he doesnt have the goods, clearly when ive got em here they did. However surley not every single time hes hit the board this strong. My stack off was because i put him on AsXs however this was a bad read. I wanted to end the hand there and get it over and done with.

Now i do know that opponents do continuiously get hands in the BB and often then do get rather lucky or run on a heater, but the amount of times this guy had made this play once i hit id really had enough of watching the same script over and over again, i wanted "my button" back lol. Ok maybe thats bad ways to think lol.
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: Hand from last nights 7.15 deepie, looking back i should have avoided stacking off, but had history with opponent - opinions please:
    why would we shove here if we think he's 'at it' surely flat call and look to get it in on any turn if our reads are correct
    Posted by scotty77

Scotty, how/why did you fold those Kings on the primo last night??????? (This hand 100% backs up my results orientation/soul read/hero fold theory btw)

And how do you get 2 x standard sky 8pm ME players to fold top pair on the river??????

2 of the weirdest/best hands I've seen on the live shows.

Also, Mods!! -  where's my Massoud bashing thread gone?
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: Hand from last nights 7.15 deepie, looking back i should have avoided stacking off, but had history with opponent - opinions please : Hi Greg. Thanks for the responce. Ok so in answer to your question, im not sure, i think it was just this tournament, i had a good read on the table and of what everyone wanted too do. However this was allowing me to raise the button (any two) nearly every time. I think id raised around 14 times on the button by this stage if not more. Every single time this same opponent made this exact play. Now im not saying he doesnt have the goods, clearly when ive got em here they did. However surley not every single time hes hit the board this strong. My stack off was because i put him on AsXs however this was a bad read. I wanted to end the hand there and get it over and done with. Now i do know that opponents do continuiously get hands in the BB and often then do get rather lucky or run on a heater, but the amount of times this guy had made this play once i hit id really had enough of watching the same script over and over again, i wanted "my button" back lol. Ok maybe thats bad ways to think lol.
    Posted by The_Don90
    Your opponant has played this perfect, he sees that you are over agressive (raising nearly every button with blinds this small is pointless imo) I think you are playing far too many hands early in a deepstack.

later on when the blinds are big, this stack off kq vs 33 would be standard, but now, with blinds of 40/80 and stacks of 7000+, imo this is not a time to go bust with 1 pair, no matter how agressive you have both been playing.
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: Hand from last nights 7.15 deepie, looking back i should have avoided stacking off, but had history with opponent - opinions please : Scotty, how/why did you fold those Kings on the primo last night??????? (This hand 100% backs up my results orientation/soul read/hero fold theory btw) And how do you get 2 x standard sky 8pm ME players to fold top pair on the river?????? 2 of the weirdest/best hands I've seen on the live shows. Also, Mods!! -  where's my Massoud bashing thread gone?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    I agree Dohhhhhhh what a bizarre show.

The 107 hand was just genius, i guess that table was ultra passive and ryan just knew he could pinch it.

As for folding KK, on that board, jjjjjjjjeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzz! I cant fold there.

The chip daddy calling with KQ was just about as bad a call as i have ever seen, then calling a 3 bet with 33 on the button... Ok 4 bet shove, but dont just flat! But he is rich and i havent run deep in a ME for ages... So maybe fishy play is the way forward...:)
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: Hand from last nights 7.15 deepie, looking back i should have avoided stacking off, but had history with opponent - opinions please : Your opponant has played this perfect, he sees that you are over agressive (raising nearly every button with blinds this small is pointless imo) I think you are playing far too many hands early in a deepstack. later on when the blinds are big, this stack off kq vs 33 would be standard, but now, with blinds of 40/80 and stacks of 7000+, imo this is not a time to go bust with 1 pair, no matter how agressive you have both been playing.
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    Yea, thats the main reason i posted this, i think i got a little frustrated. I like to build a loose image at a table early except when multi tabling. I never knew why till i looked at my game recently. When i re-took up poker i played in a league, full of "fish" i still play and now run a league. As i was learning they all treat me as a loose player, which in turn means when i actually manage to get a hand they pay me off.

So if i get a loose image early on, weather it be on a cash table or a MTT tournament like this then im able to play the same game i play everywhere thus not having to overthink my situations which as this instance shows i do.
  • edited November 2010
    the bluff hand with T7 that got to fold AQ/A2.  Was amazed that AQ folded.  Table was fairly passive, I was the only one doing any raising.  saying that tho I wasn't that active when I was in pots on that table I generally had something.  put them both on Arag.  they had let me in for free in the BB so from their perspective was totally possible that I had 4/3 for a house.

the KK hand I was pretty sure I was beat, not by AA tho!  he had slightly more than me and when he raised flop it did look like for value rather than something that was semi-bluffing.  thought he had set/2pr minimum.  also the struture of the tournie meant that i could fold and i still had 25-30bb or so.  if i had 15-20 i prob call off.
  • edited November 2010
    Now im not saying he doesnt have the goods, clearly when ive got em here they did. However surley not every single time hes hit the board this strong. My stack off was because i put him on AsXs however this was a bad read. I wanted to end the hand there and get it over and done with.

I would argue that if you put him on the spade draw, then with a stack this deep its better to flat and wait for a non spade turn to get it in.  You reduce his equity massively.
  • edited November 2010
    Now im not saying he doesnt have the goods, clearly when ive got em here they did. However surley not every single time hes hit the board this strong. My stack off was because i put him on AsXs however this was a bad read. I wanted to end the hand there and get it over and done with. I would argue that if you put him on the spade draw, then with a stack this deep its better to flat and wait for a non spade turn to get it in.  You reduce his equity massively.
    Posted by scotty77
    Ah good point Scotty.

Thanks mate.

Also i only seen one of the two mentioned hands in the Primo, i fell asleep, but well played with the 107. :).